What Did You Do To Your RV This Week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We prepped the RV (and property) for potential bug out due to Hurricane Ian. Looks like we are not gonna have to bail out though...

Ian turned back east...
My winter home is a permanently parked rv in a campground in Lakeland FL. Late tonight , wind gust is suppose to be 100+ MPH. Keeping our fingers crossed that we have a place to go to at the end of October.

Got my NYS Heavy Inspection this AM. $20.00(y) Up through this year the shops are logging the vehicle info in a book. New regs next year puts it all computerized. Stickers are placed outside the vehicle now, next year they will go on the inside of the windshield. Cost to the shop is over $4500.00 for the change. Still no emissions or connection to the OBD vehicle port.
I'm surprised they're moving the heavy sticker inside. The whole idea of the outside sticker was that it could be placed lower on tall vehicles where LEO's could more easily see it. I have occasionally had someone ask why I don't have an inspection sticker though, until I point out the outside location and "Heavy" labeling.

I'd think those shops that are already doing both light and heavy inspections and have the computer and printer setups that support that would need little more than a software update.

Yesterday I replaced a rear brake line that was looking pretty gnarly. Bending a new line from my roll of copper/nickel stock while feeding it into place was a little challenging, but other than that it was a pretty easy job. At my age, any work I can do laying down is appreciated. ;)

Yesterday I replaced a rear brake line that was looking pretty gnarly. Bending a new line from my roll of copper/nickel stock while feeding it into place was a little challenging, but other than that it was a pretty easy job. At my age, any work I can do laying down is appreciated. ;)

It's the getting up afterwards that is getting dicey...

Replaced the batteries in the TPMS sending units, 10 of 'em. As the labels have all fallen off, I use an empty egg carton to keep them sorted.

My trailer is a 2020, and only used a few times prior to us. There's a jackknife couch/bed on one side, and on trip number 2 I sat on one side where I usually do for coffee (the most important meal of the day).. And 'pop!'. A cheap plastic strap gave way and it was instantly saggy 🤬

I bought a furniture repair kit on Amazon. Based on construction, I was limited in how I could get it on, but the buttometer says it's pretty close to where it was.
Presented in pics

Attachments

• PXL_20221004_171032142.jpg
    PXL_20221004_171032142.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20221004_171315808.jpg
    PXL_20221004_171315808.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20221004_171334677.jpg
    PXL_20221004_171334677.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20221004_173025182.jpg
    PXL_20221004_173025182.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20221004_183450106.jpg
    PXL_20221004_183450106.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20221004_183430869.jpg
    PXL_20221004_183430869.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Finished the under-dash part of the trailer brake controller. Got the wires run from the controller out into the under-hood area. Next is to crawl under the coach and run them to the back. Not as easy as it would have been a few years ago.

Finished the under-dash part of the trailer brake controller. Got the wires run from the controller out into the under-hood area. Next is to crawl under the coach and run them to the back. Not as easy as it would have been a few years ago.
After giving mine a look, I found a shop to install the additional wires for brake and accessory charging.

After giving mine a look, I found a shop to install the additional wires for brake and accessory charging.
This'll be the 3rd set of wires I've run the length of the frame. I added a 15amp, 120v stand-alone circuit to run an electric heater and ran romex back to the utility bay from the front, then I ran an indicator light for the braking system I had on the Jeep when I flat towed it, now trailer brakes. I'll just tie it to the rest of them with more zip ties. I did cheat this time; I bought a 50' 12ga extension cord and cut the ends off of it. I only have to run one wire that way.

I was tired of the dead space at the wheel well area. So I built a cabinet using an old overhead cabinet designed for a kitchen. I still need to trim the counter top and coat it with satin after laying a coat of resin on some leftover cabinet panels.

The face frame and door is red oak, so I stained it as close as I could get to the factory color. The top is black walnut, but works okay.

Attachments

• 20221009_125437.jpg
    20221009_125437.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221009_125447.jpg
    20221009_125447.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221009_125429.jpg
    20221009_125429.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 8
Well, having sold our FT coach last week and bought a 28'TT, the new unit has lots of little projects:
1- install MaxxAire in kitchen area
2- organized bins for primary usage. Bin with electrical, chocks etc, the first things to do on arriving. Next bin has water hook, filters etc, Next has sewer connectios
3- installed 2 new 6v batteries, the 2 12v wouldn't't hold charge, but they were OE from 2017. Found a nice 2 6v Battery box!
4- New set of tires mounted balanced
5- Fabbed a set of holders to mount on frame to store torsion bars while camped.
6- TPMS ordered and installed on new tires.
7- thought about a bunch of other stuff.

Last week was pretty busy too.

Ugghhh... Worked on the dreaded poop pile again. I only partially cleared it last time and my kid and his gf (current occupants) filled the tank to the brim.

Tried a hose from the bottom, no joy. Hose through the toilet, no joy. Pressure washer from the bottom, no joy. Pressure washer through the toilet, partial success.

Dismounted the toilet and inserted pressure washer deeper into tank - I could reach the bottom with the toilet off. Finally broke free. Filled and flushed the tank 4 times with only clear water "gushing" out the last 2 times.

2 - Put on a new shower head and cleaned the slow running shower drain.

3 - Troubleshot and fixed the electric hot water Hott Rod. I was concerned about this as the HR is only about a year old. Turns out something had tripped the circuit and I heard an audible click when I reset it.

And you didn’t have #1 son doing the flushing? It would have been a great learning experience for him and her. Let her get her hands dirty also.

Had young man come to my place and service (clean and inspect) the two roof-top a/c units. All is well. (y)

Went to the Pacific Air Show. When I got back home, needed to clean the MH and sweep all the sand out of it. Relaxing afterwards. By the way, in case you are wondering, the condition of my front yard is due to the water shortage here in California. Doing my part by not watering. :)

Attachments

• Cleaning.jpg
    Cleaning.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 5
And you didn’t have #1 son doing the flushing? It would have been a great learning experience for him and her. Let her get her hands dirty also.

Yeah - terms were that he helped and I "taught" - He did pretty good and I think learned some things about RV plumbing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom