What did you forget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a list Guy. One for what we have in the TT, other what we need to bring. On the last day of a trip I update them both.

TheBar said:
I stay "city water on full time" except when I will be gone for more than say 8 hours. Its a gamble but you could have a leak overnight and not know it until morning. The cheap pressure regulators may not work properly but they beat nothing. If your water hose connects in the basement and you don't need to disconnect it when traveling buy a plug so the hose stays full of water until you connect it again. That helps to eliminate all the air belching from the faucets the next time you connect to water.

Good tip on the plug. I will have a read of my manual tonight before bed - I have not committed the "valve positioning" to memory for full time city water and don't wanna screw up...

dcrbtt said:
I am a list Guy. One for what we have in the TT, other what we need to bring. On the last day of a trip I update them both.

I have like 3 lists going - LOL... Chassis & house parts, provisioning, "personal stuff" - I have a separate "to-do" punch list for all the last minute jobs I am trying to fit in as well.

I also downloaded some massive list from the Library here that I intend to go through tomorrow. It's a huge list but intermixes a lot of get ready to drive (unhook), get ready to park (hook up), don't forget to bring, have you checked the maintenance on, etc. etc... all together. I'd like to spend an hour or so reorganizing it into separate sections to be referred to as needed.

We had similar stuff on boats - Embarrassing to start the motor advance the throttle and still be tied to the dock - LOL... Or be 2 hours out to sea and find out no one brought a bottle opener for the wine ;-)

Here's a thing, do you have slideouts? If so are they at head height with sharp corners? Pool noodles....  better than bruises ?

jackiemac said:
Here's a thing, do you have slideouts? If so are they at head height with sharp corners? Pool noodles....  better than bruises ?

No slideouts but I have an awning that I haven't run out yet so while I think it works, I am not sure I know how to work it - LOL... I do have stakes and paracord to tie it down...

Somewhere, anywhere hide a p38 or p51. It's almost guaranteed the can opener that worked at home is going to go MIA, be jammed, or otherwise broken! I have a few in the drawers just to be sure I don't use it the last day and bring it in the house in my pocket and forget it at home the next time! Oh yeah and bring something for leftovers, tupperware and plastic gallon and sandwich bags.

A trip to the dollar store actually works wonders for kitchen equipment. Mixing bowls, microwavable bowls, measuring cups dry and liquid, steak knives, pairing knives, kitchen knives, can openers, pizza cutter, mixing spoon, serving spoon, ladle, spatulas of various kinds, corn cob holders, whisks, and who knows what else might cross your mind. Also found some nightlights, and tap lights for quick and easy lighting in cabinets and such. There's super glue and tape for when things move that shouldn't, and oil for things the don't move that should. You can also get some bathroom type items like bandaids, triple antibiotic ointment, various pills for aches and pains, q tips, and soap if you don't mind cheap suave. As far as meal planning goes try to think of easy to make meals that don't require a lot of preparation, counter space, or very accurate cooking temps/times. The ovens in rvs can run hotter than you need and cooler than you want when you barely try to drop them down so anything in them needs to be watched closely. Otherwise just rely on stovetop or grill. I do most of my cooking on a coleman roadtrip grill with various grill inserts. I have the standard grill plates, a open burner plate for using pots and pans, a small griddle plate, and a double griddle plate. I can do just about anything I want on it including some degree of baking with the griddle, tinfoil pan, low heat and a closed lid. Just try not to overthink it in the long run. A protein on a grill, side cooked in a pot or pan, and vegetable in the microwave are usually fine for a meal. Heck, I could live off brats and macaroni and cheese lol!

>> Heck, I could live off brats and macaroni and cheese lol!

Walmart carries chopped and cooked beef and chicken fajita meat as well as grilled chicken meat. I use these as a basis for a lot of meals. I have also found a brand of tandoori chicken meat that I really like. Chicken warmed up goes on a lot of salads as a main meal.

I have switched from making rice from scratch to the 90 second microwave rices. Lots of different flavors.

They also carry instant cup of mac & cheese. My niece turned me onto these. No need for butter and milk. Just water and the size is good for a side. A little more expensive but no left overs. I mix these with little franks with frozen peas and carrots and all kinds of creative stuff.

I also use a lot of Andouille sausages - If you haven't figured I like spicy food - LOL...

We also get the smaller lasagna's that come out fine in our RV oven and do a side salad. We don't grill a lot but I do have an electric grill that does a fine job on steaks, burgers, fish etc.

I will saute up some fajita beef with frozen peppers and onions, taco spice with added chili and a little cumin. I will spice up a can of frijoles and micro a bag of southwestern rice. This base can make burritos, be eaten as a plated meal or sometimes I top it all on tortilla chips and make a nachos type meal. With the beans that's a two pot meal.

One before was not enough paper plates, we once forgot a lighter and matches.
Any time I am going on any type of a trip, I just go,through an activity list in my head. What do I need when I wake up? Coffee, and lots of it! What do I need to make coffee? What do I do after coffee? What do I need for that activity?
Also my wife keeps a list of everything we COULD bring and then whittle it down to essentials/things we want to have around.

We have forgotten more than we remember😉. First thing we learned was that there are stores nearly everywhere.
My important list is the tools I carry. I DIY nearly every all maintenance and repairs.

One before was not enough paper plates, we once forgot a lighter and matches.
Any time I am going on any type of a trip, I just go,through an activity list in my head. What do I need when I wake up? Coffee, and lots of it! What do I need to make coffee? What do I do after coffee? What do I need for that activity?
Also my wife keeps a list of everything we COULD bring and then whittle it down to essentials/things we want to have around.
Some folks are really good at mentally running a task. I think I have always been pretty good at that as well.

It's like you cycle through the sequence in your head and can visualize what you need and when..

Some folks seem unable.

Step one - Go to store and buy a saw
Step two - Go back to store and buy some wood
Step three - Saw the wood
Step four - Go back to store and buy some nails - LOL...

Some folks are really good at mentally running a task. I think I have always been pretty good at that as well.

It's like you cycle through the sequence in your head and can visualize what you need and when..

Some folks seem unable.

You just described me and any plumbing job I attempt. Obviously not the saw and the wood, but the 3 trips to the store, for sure.

Some folks seem unable.

At some point a tape measure and straight edge & pencil are helpful. At least with a pencil & wood, you can make a list.

Back
Top Bottom