What do you do with pets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, but what do folks do with their pets when they leave their coach and go visiting?

We've been in several RV furniture stores the last few days and I was somewhat appalled to see folks bringing their pets into the stores. One guy had a dog on one of those retractable leashes and he was just letting the dog wander around. When they left, I asked the store person about it and she told me she just has to smile and bite her tongue.

When we were in the Country Coach Customer Care Center yesterday folks not only had their pets with them, one couple had their dog monopolize a sofa and I had to sit on a very low, uncomfortable chair.

Today when I checked into the Monaco Service Center, several folks had their dogs with them in the customer lounge and someone had their cat along arrggggg. Many folks know I'm extremely allergic to cats and the cat doesn't need to still be there for a serious reaction to occur.

When we had a dog she was every bit a part of the family as I'm sure other folks' pets are. She loved coming along in the RV or on the boat. But our rule was that we never took her to other folks' houses, RVs or boats, even if she was invited. If we couldn't leave her safe and comfortable, we didn't go visit.

We only take the dog if the people we're visiting ask us to bring her.  Otherwise, she stays in the motorhome, A/C on if it's hot, fans on if it's not.  When we're at a service facility, we put her in the car and leave the windows cracked about an inch for fresh air.

I think it's quite rude to bring an animal into any commercial establishment (except a vet office :) ) and is illegal in many places as well.

One couple we know take their dog everywhere with them, presumably assuming that the dog's small size makes it OK. When they go to a restaurant the husband hides the dog inside his jacket. If they sat at our table I'd have to move to a different table, leave, or call the public health department.

That dog better have a harness on and the owner better be blind :)

It just proves that you can never underestimate people and their stupidity.

Our cat always stays in the coach.

Unless it is a Pets Mart or there is an invitation, our dog also stays in the coach.

Both are house trained and totally reliable.  My only concern would be a hot day and the air conditioner failing.  If I am going to be gone a long time I take unusual measures.  In some cases it is simply turning on the Fantastics and setting them to only turn on at higher temps.  Not as good as an auto start genset, but we have excellent insulation and inside the coach is always much cooler than the outside, even without the air running.

Tough issue and I hope we never regret our method.

Tom said:
Don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, but what do folks do with their pets when they leave their coach and go visiting?

We've been in several RV furniture stores the last few days and I was somewhat appalled to see folks bringing their pets into the stores. One guy had a dog on one of those retractable leashes and he was just letting the dog wander around. When they left, I asked the store person about it and she told me she just has to smile and bite her tongue.

When we were in the Country Coach Customer Care Center yesterday folks not only had their pets with them, one couple had their dog monopolize a sofa and I had to sit on a very low, uncomfortable chair.

Today when I checked into the Monaco Service Center, several folks had their dogs with them in the customer lounge and someone had their cat along arrggggg. Many folks know I'm extremely allergic to cats and the cat doesn't need to still be there for a serious reaction to occur.

When we had a dog she was every bit a part of the family as I'm sure other folks' pets are. She loved coming along in the RV or on the boat. But our rule was that we never took her to other folks' houses, RVs or boats, even if she was invited. If we couldn't leave her safe and comfortable, we didn't go visit.

It's a very complex issue. First, in many western states dogs particularly go everywhere. I have lived in CO and UT and its not unusual at all to find a dog in a lawyers office, Home Depot,etc. Of course, in Europe they are in the best restaurants and I see more of that occurring in US. Airlines permit pets that can be fitted under seat in a cage. I have seen many states and localities that ?set out that it is illegal to leave an unattended animal in a car or motorhome. If anything happen, the owner can, and because of the public outcry usually accompanying such an occurrence, is usually prosecuted. We had that happen at SunCity/Hilton in June. My contention not yet tried in a court is that the laws at least for motorhomes are discriminatory since pets are left in stick houses or apartment buildings and if something happens no action is taken. A home on wheels shouldn't be different. Cars get very hot even on cool days with windows left open. In some places, I have seen Animal Control officers stick a probe into car's open window to measure temperature and then write the summons or have car opened and pet impounded. Similarly, no fan, assuming one doesn't go away and leave all the windows open, will ever cool a motorhome even on a moderately cool day sufficient for an animal to not be stressed and the owner liable. ?

I do take my dogs into service centers since a) the workers can't work around them in the motorhome and often are afraid of dogs and b) the car is not big enough to hold them for any length of time and high temperature is a constant threat. They don't get on furniture; they lay quietly on floor. I do however appreciate some folks are allergic even if animal is no longer there - one of my son's has this problem. (He is unable to come to our home or sit in any of our vehicles.) However, I don't know another approach other than to quit RVing.

It is indeed a complex issue Leo and I know there isn't a simple answer.

I've flown a gazillion miles and have been fortunate enough not to be seated next to someone with a cat. Don't misunderstand, I'm not anti-cats, just that in an extreme case they might have to take me to the ER.

Sounds like you are respectful of others. Consciously keeping pets off other people's furniture is also indicative of that.

Personnally I like dogs but am not a bit shy if a pet owner allows his pet to enter or get on a place they should not be.  I have lived in Utah as well as several other western states and have not seen any pets in stores except for seeing eye dogs as being an accepted policy.  Some owners are making it very difficult for pet owners that keep their pets under control and do not allow them where they should not be.

The American Coach service facility ended up establishing a second waiting lounge because some pet owners would allow their pets on the furniture and would get highly upset when somebody wanted to sit down and would ask them to move the pet.  Now there is a no pet lounge and a pet allowed lounge.  Would you believe I had a pet owner express his objection to this arrangement and felt his pet should be allowed anywhere he was.  I won't go into detail as to what I told him.  I heard later this was a guy that allowed his dog to raise its leg on another customers leg in the pet allowed area.  Some people.

We elected not to carry pets with us while motorhoming.  This is our choice.  However, I do carry Alpo dog treats that, with the owners permission, I treat my four legged friends.  It is amazing how well these four legged friend remember me from year to year. ;D

Ron said:
It is amazing how well these four legged friend remember me from year to year.

LOL Ron, the TX "girls" sure remember you.

Tom said:
One couple we know take their dog everywhere with them, presumably assuming that the dog's small size makes it OK. When they go to a restaurant the husband hides the dog inside his jacket. If they sat at our table I'd have to move to a different table, leave, or call the public health department.

You really should notify management if you see someone, anyone, bring a dog or cat into a restaurant unless it's a workign dog (IE: seeign eye dog) in many states/locations there are serious laws and should a health inspector wander in and see a dog or cat... Well, "hello dirty dozen" (A local TV news feature of places you do not wish to eat,  My favorite breakfast place did not make the list, (total number of violations found by health inspector was zero)  Some of these dirty dozen places they need multiple pages to list the violations.

Thus you should notify management.  Then, if they choose to let the animal stay, the health dept.

John

How does the health department rationalize "seeing eye dogs"being OK in a restaurant, but not others?

Do you have a pet along in your RV and what do you do with him/her when you go shpping or visiting?

Dogs for the blind and deaf are better trained than most household pets and I would also guess that the ADA would require that they be allowed in public places.

I think you're right Ned and I don't have issues with these working dogs being along with their owners.

Ron said:
Personnally I like dogs but am not a bit shy if a pet owner allows his pet to enter or get on a place they should not be.? I have lived in Utah as well as several other western states and have not seen any pets in stores except for seeing eye dogs as being an accepted policy.?

You must have not been in ski towns like Breckenridge, Vail or Park City. They are common in those places. In addition, I may add MT to the list today. I'm getting ready to go over to Bozeman to Murdoch's (formerly Big R) and I was checking for times on web site when I noticed an item saying dogs are welcome.  8)

When we go out from our stick home, we leave the dog in the house if we can't take it to the place we're going. We also do the same in the cramper. Why not? Been doing it for years.

Hi all,

BernerGran here - just back from a delightful 3 weeks in the southwestern Colorado rockieis. (Another tale).

I wouldn't say a hornet's nest has been stirred up, but rather a great and truly caring disscussion about an important issue.

You know, it occurs to me that many of us have bought our rigs specifically so that we can travel with our dogs, etc.

For us, my hub and I travel with 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs. We take our rig to shows, as they are both show dogs, and it is a wonderful way to be on the show circuit. They are both extremely well trained and behaved, but we would never take them to another person's rig or a restaurant or a store(except PetsSmart). Totally inappropriate.

We have walked them down the streets of Silverton, CO and occasionally other places on a short leash, sometimes with our oldest male pulling his cart. People love seeing them, so it is fun. However, before we leave to go into town with them, my husband ALWAYS takes them to the dog walk provided in the CG to empty them, and he ALWAYS cleans up after them. So, we don't generally have that type of surprise on our outings.

With regard to leaving them in the rig, they are ALWAYS in their crates inside the unit. They don't tend to be barkers. We shut the curtains, turn on the air, etc. and leave them - and NEVER for more than a couple of hours. We are extremely careful with them as they are not only our furry kids, but also represent much time and effort in training, etc.

And like others, we hope someday we don't come back to find the power has gone out, and they are seriously ill from heat.

I don't mean to sound snooty about the dogs; truly I don't. But we are just really careful about their behavior, as we were with our kids when they were little.

And isn't it just terrific that we can have our furry kids with us during some of the best times of our lives!

Best,
BernerGran ::)

BernerGran

We have friends who showed dogs for many years and they bought their motorhome for the same reason.

BernerGran said:
And isn't it just terrific that we can have our furry kids with us during some of the best times of our lives!

So true for so many folks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom