What do you keep in RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good point, Kelly -- also some of the pressure reducers available are at 45 or 55 psi. Still, I'm going by my manual, just in case...

that's what I would do. Both of my old trailers are missing the stone tablets called manuals.

muskoka guy said:
all the above items  but also a good idea is a first aid kit also a tool kit with at least all the basic tools for minor repairs.

Took long enough for someone to mention tools!  A basic set should be in every RV.  Even if the RV owner isn't very mechanically inclined, there is usually someone around who is and you may have the tool onboard to get you on your way to the nearest repair facility.

denmarc said:
Took long enough for someone to mention tools!  A basic set should be in every RV.  Even if the RV owner isn't very mechanically inclined, there is usually someone around who is and you may have the tool onboard to get you on your way to the nearest repair facility.

"Outside chairs, tools, BBQ, etc were all specifically planned and put in the MH and are always there when needed."

I mentioned tools on Nov 1! The tools I chose are ones most likely to be used in the MH. For example crimping pliers for PEX type plumbing.

Ken

skyking1 said:
Don, I prefer not testing my plumbing above 60 PSI. There is no point and a good chance of damaging a valve or some other component. My compressor is 125 PSI and that is a little extreme.
There is a simple solution if you do not have an inline regulator. Turn off the compressor when the tank pressure reaches 60~70 PSI. That tank of air should do the job fine, no need to have it run.

Thanks to all for the replies on this topic.  Not trying to highjack this thread.

I have a "pancake" compressor with a built in regulator.  I can dial it down to what ever pressure depending onthe tool being used.  I may even use less than 40 PSI as I see no benefit to using the higher pressure other than it might remove the water a little faster.???

thanks again,
Don

taigarazz said:
We are purchasing our first RV. We are enamored with being as prepared as possible to take off for spontaneous weekends away. What kinds of things do you keep packed in your RV for a quick getaway? Extra clothes? Food staples?

Much depends on travel style.

During camping season, in principle, we keep the RV stocked with everything we typically take on a short trip, except for perishable foods and the laptop computer.  I keep enough clothes on board for a 3-day weekend, while my wife and kids prefer to pack things from home.  There is always enough food on board for the first night's and first morning's meal (non-perishable and freezer items) in case we are in a situation where it's inconvenient to get groceries.

If you're new to RVing the main things you'll end up buying are galley supplies (dishes, pots, pans, glassware, silverware) and bedding.  We use Corelle dishes in one RV and melamine (plastic) dishes in our more off-road oriented RV.  Some people use paper plates. For us one RV has custom sheets due to the odd mattress size, the other has regular sheets, and we have sleeping bags for the beds the kids use.

Extra fire extinguishers. I have a "thing" about fire and have seen several RV fires.
We have the one by the door, 1in the bdrm, 1on each side of the cockpit, 1 @ galley. There is also 1 on either side basement.

Ok, so I'm into overkill. I just want enough ammo to cover an escape if I can't put out a fire

Mostly what is mentioned above.  Being that I love to cook (thus the name), and the fact that we camp full time for 5 to 6 months each summer, we always have a George Foreman and other electric cooking implements being that the campground supplies electric and I can use their electric rather than my propane for cooking.  We also have a heater that looks like a radiator - comes in handy in October when it starts getting chilly just before taking off for Florida.  You may like an electric skillet or griddle - I have a 3-in-1 cooker that serves as a crock pot, a pressure cooker and a steamer and it also browns food.  I use it a lot.  We bring various scatter rugs to help keep the dirt
contained - just pick them up and shake them outside when you sweep the floor.  The rugs are great when you need something outside as well.  We don't have our MH at home so we can't keep the fridge plugged in all the time so we bring the MH home about a few days before we take off and load cloths and food inside along with the laptop and other gear we don't keep inside.

I have found that, rather than hanging most cloths in those tiny closets, I got those hanging things that have shelves in them and a big velcor fastner at the top that attaches around the cloths rod.  This gives me lightweight shelves to store t-shirts in one shelf, jeans/shorts in another, sweatshirts in another, etc.  More space savings.  Ikea carries these and I think I got one at Camping World.  I also have one in the larger wardrobe (we use it for storage of other stuff) and I call it our 'linen closet' - it holds extra sheets, towels, kitchen towels, etc.
As you go, you will find the things you put in there that you never use - I remove several items each time we return.  It's a constant thing to maintain only what you really use and get rid of the stuff you don't.  Camping is a self taught lesson in space management!

Desert Eagle, 50 cal and American derringer.  Wife likes the old Colt 32.

Don't worry about the dog, he usually licks the body!

Cheers

As time goes on I'm trying to keep more in the TT so I take less from home.  Not only does it make it easier to get away but there is less chance I will forgot to return something I need at home.  By summer I hope to keep some clothes stocked in it at all times.  With this said I still try to keep stuff down to a minimum.

Since we're using ours year around for the weekend getaways, we keep canned and boxed food, clothes, shoes/boots, etc. in there all the time.  When we return she takes the clothes, towels, etc. in to the house and washes everything and puts it all in one collapsable basket ready to go back in for the next trip.  Then the refrigerated food, condiments (we keep an extra set in the garage refer....much smaller catsup, mustard, pickles, olives, etc. than what we may have in the house), etc. and the clothes basket are all that we have to grab.

We are still working for a few more years before we can hit the road full time so it's usually a Fri. afternoon that we're heading out and we like to be as prepared as possible so that it only takes a few minutes to get rolling.

We do weekends for the most part and since we are located in FL we use it year round. To avoid bugs or rodents we remove all food but basically leave most everything else in the rv so we are more ready to go. I have a small tool box, extension cords, adapters etc, and an air compressor that now stay on board permanently. Basically this is to avoid forgetting things and to make it quicker and easier to head out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom