What do you like to "find" when out and about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hunt for beer. I bring empty growlers and get them filled wherever I spot a brewery or brew pub along the way. No issues figuring out where to put my collection when I get home, it's usually gone before I get there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

1659967738409.png

I hunt for beer. I bring empty growlers and get them filled wherever I spot a brewery or brew pub along the way. No issues figuring out where to put my collection when I get home, it's usually gone before I get there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

View attachment 156371

I guess that means you know a place around town where we can find a nice IPA or Pale Ale. Bonus!

Despite their apparent popularity, I think IPA's are nasty. Not that there aren't some good ones I've had, but much like the definition of recession, the definition of IPA's has moved to a degree of bitter and aromatics that can only be synthetically created. It's about having a higher IBU number than anyone else to the point of being undrinkable. Between that and "beers" that violate most aspects of the german purity law there's been a number of times I've walked out of a microbrew empty handed. Ask for a porter, nut brown or scotch ale and they look at you funny. I get they have to make what sells, but I don't care for it. Maybe that makes me a beer snob but I've made most of the classic styles myself, I know what I like and life is too short for nasty beer. But to answer your question, yes, there's a fair selection of brewpubs in ABQ and we can sample varied styles, for quality assurance.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Despite their apparent popularity, I think IPA's are nasty. Not that there aren't some good ones I've had, but much like the definition of recession, the definition of IPA's has moved to a degree of bitter and aromatics that can only be synthetically created. It's about having a higher IBU number than anyone else to the point of being undrinkable. Between that and "beers" that violate most aspects of the german purity law there's been a number of times I've walked out of a microbrew empty handed. Ask for a porter, nut brown or scotch ale and they look at you funny. I get they have to make what sells, but I don't care for it. Maybe that makes me a beer snob but I've made most of the classic styles myself, I know what I like and life is too short for nasty beer. But to answer your question, yes, there's a fair selection of brewpubs in ABQ and we can sample varied styles, for quality assurance.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
When I buy store-bought beer I tend toward whatever Sierra Nevada they have to offer. My favorite is probably their Pale Ale, but they've got a Hazy IPA that has a nice grapefruity taste to it.
I met my son up at Mammoth Lakes Brewery yesterday for lunch and had a pint of their Epic IPA. It wasn't really bitter, and I don't think it was much above 6.8% ABV, so it was pretty good. I'm not into the 8-9% IPAs at all.

When I first got to England I couldn’t drink the ales. After one pint I would get a headache. But I persisted and grew to like them. But my favorites are the dark beers; chocolate, coffee, etc. I like Guinness. I flew out of Heathrow several times a year and would have two Guinness for breakfast.

A dear friend of ours, now passed, used to collect smaller rocks from her travels. When her health issues stopped her travel, we started bringing her rocks from our travels, labeling each one with the location where we found it. After bringing her many rocks labeled by city, state, etc, her favorite that she placed in a prominent display was one we brought her from Newark, NJ. It was a piece of broken blacktop... :)

We used to collect smaller rocks also and tumbled and polished them. We have filled a few ceramic bowls with them and they are beautiful inside our home, but we do not use the tumbler anymore.

I seem to pick up rocks, smallish to be sure, colorful useless little rocks. I also find pretty bead charm things for a hippy dippy bead thing in my window at home and stickers now for the back wall of my van. And as anyone who knows me food stuff. Strawberries for jam and peaches and nuts and ...... whatever is in season wherever we are.
So what do you pick up? One son loves fancy boozes, and the other likes bottle openers....
I like to save rocks but have seen many notices that picking up or stacking rocks is against the rules. Has anyone else seen notices like that? What do you do? Ignore them? I guess I'm a rule follower and feel guilty if I ignore the notices.

I try to follow most rules, but sometimes....... seriously it's a rock, and rocks have been moved around forever by travelers. Ever since we humans have been able to walk with hands off the ground. I'm not talking about the big ol' petrified wood stuff or the fossil stuff or even the big lava stuff, just a pebble sized thing not on any protected land.
And while I like to stack rocks And I like to paint rocks I understand why we should not be leaving or taking stuff in some of the sensitive areas. If I am hiking up mount Rushmore the last thing I want to see is a neon green painted rock that has some form of political stuff on it. I might just love to find the same rock at a picnic area in a less sensitive place.

Last edited:
We went to Newport RI at the beginning of the summer and along the sea wall at the beach were all kinds of those rock formations. This was right where the Ocean Walk is along the mansions on the water.

I think on BLM land it's OK to pick up rocks as long as they are for personal use.

I found a 20 Euro bill in the woods next to a campsite we had in New Hampshire. We like to find things unique to the region we are in. My wife likes to antique. I always watch for good tools at a cheap price.

Back
Top Bottom