What do you like to "find" when out and about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanbrat

I seem to pick up rocks, smallish to be sure, colorful useless little rocks. I also find pretty bead charm things for a hippy dippy bead thing in my window at home and stickers now for the back wall of my van. And as anyone who knows me food stuff. Strawberries for jam and peaches and nuts and ...... whatever is in season wherever we are.
So what do you pick up? One son loves fancy boozes, and the other likes bottle openers....

We have collected coffee mugs from the various places we've been. We've collected State Park T-shirts. We're collecting bird feathers for our grandson.

But I have found, it's more fun to "leave" something, than take something. But, it IS very important to leave something that does not destroy nature too. Leaving cigarette butts, plastic bottles, and aluminum cans is not what I'm talking about.

Here is a small sample of what I'm now leaving behind ... provided I can find enough rocks to do this. It's fun, it's relaxing, and it takes a steady hand.

Cane Creek County Park, Waxhaw, NC:

TtF7VMn.jpg

mmKESDK.jpg

Pilot Mountain State Park, NC:

9CsLSRv.jpg

Jla0EwV.jpg

RmXFzql.jpg

I like to try and find fast food drive throughs that will actually fit my motorhome. Found a McDonalds in Huntington Beach that took me in this morning. It's the height that usually stops it (11'5").

We have collected coffee mugs from the various places we've been. We've collected State Park T-shirts. We're collecting bird feathers for our grandson.

But I have found, it's more fun to "leave" something, than take something. But, it IS very important to leave something that does not destroy nature too. Leaving cigarette butts, plastic bottles, and aluminum cans is not what I'm talking about.

Here is a small sample of what I'm now leaving behind ... provided I can find enough rocks to do this. It's fun, it's relaxing, and it takes a steady hand.

Cane Creek County Park, Waxhaw, NC:

TtF7VMn.jpg

mmKESDK.jpg

Pilot Mountain State Park, NC:

9CsLSRv.jpg

Jla0EwV.jpg

RmXFzql.jpg
Well that looks fun! I would love to find that. I have collected feathers with the class kidos for awhile. They love it. One year had a neighbor give me the husks from walnuts and we made our own ink to write with the feathers. Anything I "find" has to be small and fit in the van with all the other 'stuff' we have. I have a 'fairy house building kit' but I have not used it yet. Maybe these rocks will inspire me.

I like to find money. Not necessarily Pennie’s but paper money is fun to collect. :cool:
Son found a twenty-dollar bill once as we were leaving Canada. He was able to buy us dinner before we crossed the border. I have had the biggest find once I found a 100-dollar bill. And it was at a time when we really needed it. Bought gas for hubby to go to a job interview...
I did look for the owner first..

Anyone into Geocaching? Fun to do when I’m out and about with no particular agenda.

We like to find small town family restaurants that serve good homemade food at reasonable prices. We keep a list of our favorites for return visits. Our most recent additions were "Nut 'n' Fanci" near Wellsley Island State Park in the Thousand Islands area of upstate NY and "John and Sarah's Family Restaurant" in Perry, NY near Letchworth State Park.

We like to find small town family restaurants that serve good homemade food at reasonable prices. We keep a list of our favorites for return visits. Our most recent additions were "Nut 'n' Fanci" near Wellsley Island State Park in the Thousand Islands area of upstate NY and "John and Sarah's Family Restaurant" in Perry, NY near Letchworth State Park.
That is something I like too. This last trip out I found a really good spot in Polson Montana. Betty's and a place that was somewhat spendy, but good food and live music called The Shoe.

Lots of things, but the most recent has been a good pizza. We enjoy cooking in our RV, but it's much like home food, and sometimes we just want a night off. Now that we have a toad, it makes finding the elusive good pizza much easier. Cobblestone Pizza in Newport, OR was freaking amazing last week and I say that about very few pizzas. Loads of meat, tons of garlic, great crust.....and best of all, reasonable prices!

Anyone into Geocaching? Fun to do when I’m out and about with no particular agenda.
My wife and I used to geocache.
I haven't been out so much since she passed, but I did return to one here in the Crowley Lake area that we couldn't find when we looked a couple of years ago. This time I walked right to it...go figure.

We've got a lot of finds in the Quartzsite area, there's about a billion of them around that area.

We once stayed at Big Lake in Missouri. Headed to the nearest Walmart which required traveling from MO. into NE, and then south into KS. On the way back to the RV we found a cache in all 3 states within 2 hours.

That is something I like too. This last trip out I found a really good spot in Polson Montana. Betty's and a place that was somewhat spendy, but good food and live music called The Shoe.
Not really sure I'd want to go out to dinner in a place called Poison. :)

I have a metal detector I carry in my fifth wheel. When I’m bored, I’ll dig it out and usually search beaches and volleyball courts at campgrounds. I’ve found many coins and one ring but nothing of any real value.

Finding a Farmers Market in a very small town. Home made baking seems to be a lost art. We found an Incredible Farmers Market in South Junction, Manitoba……

One day we set up camp at Huntington Beach SP near Myrtle Beach. I noticed some color on the tree outside our window. I went out and found a very colorfully painted rock sitting in the tree. Never knew this was a 'thing' going around the country. Since then we have found about 18 painted rocks. Some are really well done. We have found them in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and a few along the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA & NC. We take them home and set them on our window sill to enjoy until our next trip. Then we take them on our trip and leave them somewhere for others to find. If we are on a long trip we'd keep them a couple of weeks or so then leave them somewhere to be found.....Fun to find and relocate!

One day we set up camp at Huntington Beach SP near Myrtle Beach. I noticed some color on the tree outside our window. I went out and found a very colorfully painted rock sitting in the tree. Never knew this was a 'thing' going around the country. Since then we have found about 18 painted rocks. Some are really well done. We have found them in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and a few along the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA & NC. We take them home and set them on our window sill to enjoy until our next trip. Then we take them on our trip and leave them somewhere for others to find. If we are on a long trip we'd keep them a couple of weeks or so then leave them somewhere to be found.....Fun to find and relocate!
I have found those too some are really nice some ya can tell were done by little kidos. Some of the kids I used to care for loved to paint rocks

Back
Top Bottom