What do you think of this Workhorse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 2006 Seabreeze will have a 1 piece FIBERGLASS roof. Nothing to worry about here unless it has been damaged. All joints will need to be checked however, they can still leak if not kept up. I recommend going on line and looking at the brochure's for that coach. Read the specs for yourself, instead of listening to guys that DON'T know what they are talking about are saying.

By the way, that GM chassis was an option that year.
Thanks for the brochure.

I'd say that is potentially a good choice for your needs if the condition proves out. You defintely need to check the tire date code - good chance they will need replacing due to age and that's a $2500-$3000 expense.

The CCC of 1400 sounds low but I'm guessing it's from the placard on the coach, which will be measured by to the 2006 RVIA standard. That results in a very low number because the weight of water and people are shown separately. Typically the total weight capacity of a 32 footer on the Workhorse Wxx chassis is quite generous. Add CCC + SCWR + Water + Propane together to get the equivalent of today's OCCC rating.

A 2006 Seabreeze will have a TPO roof, so I would expect it to be still in good condition except for dirt or stains. Seams and openings may well need their caulking updated, though. Roof inspection is one of the key items before purchase.

A friend of mine owned a 2005 Seabreeze 34 for several years and it was a solid performi

I che
I'd say that is potentially a good choice for your needs if the condition proves out. You defintely need to check the tire date code - good chance they will need replacing due to age and that's a $2500-$3000 expense.

The CCC of 1400 sounds low but I'm guessing it's from the placard on the coach, which will be measured by to the 2006 RVIA standard. That results in a very low number because the weight of water and people are shown separately. Typically the total weight capacity of a 32 footer on the Workhorse Wxx chassis is quite generous. Add CCC + SCWR + Water + Propane together to get the equivalent of today's OCCC rating.

A 2006 Seabreeze will have a TPO roof, so I would expect it to be still in good condition except for dirt or stains. Seams and openings may well need their caulking updated, though. Roof inspection is one of the key items before purchase.

A friend of mine owned a 2005 Seabreeze 34 for several years and it was a solid performer.
I'm still confused as to how much cargo I can carry. I've read some articles, crunched some numbers. It's clear as mud.
Yes! I found it!
  • GVWR: 22000 lbs
  • Wheelbase: 228″
  • Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 17590 lbs
  • Engine(s): Ford 6.8L gas
  • Fuel Capacity: Std 75
  • Transmission(s): 5-spd automatic
  • Cargo carrying capacity: 3786.2 lbs
  • Axle ratio: 5.38:1
  • Chassis warranty: 36 mo/36,000 mi
This is shown for a Ford chassis, but on the other docs I've seen the GVWR and GCWR are similar for Ford or GM chassis...the GM being slightly higher.
Does this look in the right ballpark to you?
Thanks, Patty

Ok, I will try to help some, the problem here is the way cargo capacity is measured has changed over the years, since about 2008 it has been the federally mandated OCCC method which is basically GVWR - ( UVW+ full Propane ) the previous CCC method allowed for a 150 pound passenger and full water tanks so is a much lower number.

If you just want to know pounds of stuff you can carry, including the driver water, propane, etc. take the GVWR and subtract the UVW the difference is how much stuff you can carry.

I che

I'm still confused as to how much cargo I can carry. I've read some articles, crunched some numbers. It's clear as mud.
Yes! I found it!
  • GVWR: 22000 lbs
  • Wheelbase: 228″
  • Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 17590 lbs
  • Engine(s): Ford 6.8L gas
  • Fuel Capacity: Std 75
  • Transmission(s): 5-spd automatic
  • Cargo carrying capacity: 3786.2 lbs
  • Axle ratio: 5.38:1
  • Chassis warranty: 36 mo/36,000 mi
This is shown for a Ford chassis, but on the other docs I've seen the GVWR and GCWR are similar for Ford or GM chassis...the GM being slightly higher.
Does this look in the right ballpark to you?
Thanks, Patty
I'm not seeing what you are. You say it's a 32' coach, but a 32' coach doesn't have a 228 in wheelbase. What is the model number? If it is a 8341, that coach is 34'11", with a 228" wheelbase. My Dolphin was about 34' if I remember right. With full water, LP, and fuel, and loaded for travel for ME I still had 2600 lbs left. But I'm a widower and didn't have as much as when the wife was with me. I surly don't know where I could have put another 2600 lbs of stuff, but I was never planning on full timing. What are you planning on caring that so worries you?

The total weight of stuff you can carry in/on the coach is the difference between the empty weight (unladen or UVW) and the GVWR. So, 22,000 - 17,590 = 4,410 in that example. That's every single lb, whether water or people or goods.

But I think Charlie is right - those W22 numbers don't match up well with a 32 ft coach. A 32 footer would be the 8311 model with the 208" wheelbase and that would surely be lighter than 17,590. That would give you even more carrying capacity.

I'm not seeing what you are. You say it's a 32' coach, but a 32' coach doesn't have a 228 in wheelbase. What is the model number? If it is a 8341, that coach is 34'11", with a 228" wheelbase. My Dolphin was about 34' if I remember right. With full water, LP, and fuel, and loaded for travel for ME I still had 2600 lbs left. But I'm a widower and didn't have as much as when the wife was with me. I surly don't know where I could have put another 2600 lbs of stuff, but I was never planning on full timing. What are you planning on caring that so worries you?
You're right, Charlie. My bad. the info above that I posted is for a 34', not a 32'. In my excitement of having found the data, I didn't read close enough. :( My concern about the CCC is that I don't want to overload it. I'm single with two dogs, but I am considering using this as a rental too and I don't want it overloaded.
I'm feeling positive about its carrying capacity, even if my confidence is built upon numbers from the 34'. Thanks for your assistance. Everyone here is such a big help, and I am so appreciative!!.

Appears the 32' 2006 Sea Breeze has two models:

SEA BREEZE 1311 with 20500 GVWR

or SEA BREEZE LX 8311 with 22000 GVWR.

I did not see UVW listed but did not dig through all the tags.

Jennifer

Hello friends,
So, I followed your advice and I looked at another rig today, one close to my home. :) Second owner. 2006 Workhorse, Allison trany, 8.1 Liter GM Vortec V8, 62,000 miles. W22 chassis.
I toured it, started it, but did not drive it. Yet. It's in good condition...good enough to do a few short trips. I will replace the carpet, but sofa, benches, and bed look and feel good. All appliances are in working order.
If I decide to purchase it I will take it in for an inspection first.
Tires have good tread but cracked on the sides.

What do you think?
(I'm in the process of determining the CCC)
UPDATE: CCC is 1400ish

32 ft Class A National Sea Breeze - $33,500​

The cupboards and drawers are real wood.
Furnace
2 Air conditioners
1 Bedroom slide-out with a walk-around Queen bed.
1 Kitchen/Dinette slide out
Sofa sleeper
Dinette sleeper
10 gal. water heater
Microwave/convection oven combo
2 TVs have been replaced with flat-screen TVs, 1 smart
Leveling system
Ceiling fan
Power step
Luggage rack and ladder
Trailer hitch
Solar battery charger
Backup camera
Awning, manual
NEW mounted automatic satellite dish
NEW brakes
Axels overhauled
Reconditioned fuel system
Michelin tires
I have a 2006 Sea Breeze 1350 that we have owned for 4 years and put 30,000 miles on it, for a total of 60,000 miles. It has the 362HP Ford V-10 and 5 speed transmission with the tow-haul feature. It's been out west and over the Rockies several times and has been rock-solid reliable. I can confirm it has a fiberglass roof.

We looked at several 2006 Sea Breezes, some with the V-10 and some with the Workhorse 8.1. We settled on our current RV because the original owner had kept it stored indoors and kept meticulous maintenance records on it.

Here are a couple of things to check for that caused me to pass on a few of the Sea Breezes:
1) Check for water damage under the inside drivers and passenger windows.
2) Check for delamination ripples around the exterior side wall panel joints and exterior windows, especially along the exterior beltline just above the bay door hinges.
3) Make sure you can read the Workhorse digital gearshift readout and odometer on the instrument panel. At least a dozen Workhorse chassis we looked at, including other brands, had this failure that required having the instrument panel rebuilt or replacement.
4) The cruise control did not work on about 60% of the Workhorse chassis we looked at. All the Ford cruise controls worked.
5) The Workhorse parking brake issue mentioned by others is real.

The rig you are looking at sounds nice and well maintained. Considering the tires are cracking and need replacing, and if everything works, I'm guessing anything under 29k would be a reasonable price. Other posters may have a better feel for it's market value.

I would not worry too much about the Actia instrument cluster issue, Ultra RV products offers a rebuild service with upgraded LCD display for these for $300, swapping them out is a relatively simple process envolving removing a handful of screws and one electronic multi-conductor plug.

I have a 2006 Sea Breeze 1350 that we have owned for 4 years and put 30,000 miles on it, for a total of 60,000 miles. It has the 362HP Ford V-10 and 5 speed transmission with the tow-haul feature. It's been out west and over the Rockies several times and has been rock-solid reliable. I can confirm it has a fiberglass roof.

We looked at several 2006 Sea Breezes, some with the V-10 and some with the Workhorse 8.1. We settled on our current RV because the original owner had kept it stored indoors and kept meticulous maintenance records on it.

Here are a couple of things to check for that caused me to pass on a few of the Sea Breezes:
1) Check for water damage under the inside drivers and passenger windows.
2) Check for delamination ripples around the exterior side wall panel joints and exterior windows, especially along the exterior beltline just above the bay door hinges.
3) Make sure you can read the Workhorse digital gearshift readout and odometer on the instrument panel. At least a dozen Workhorse chassis we looked at, including other brands, had this failure that required having the instrument panel rebuilt or replacement.
4) The cruise control did not work on about 60% of the Workhorse chassis we looked at. All the Ford cruise controls worked.
5) The Workhorse parking brake issue mentioned by others is real.

The rig you are looking at sounds nice and well maintained. Considering the tires are cracking and need replacing, and if everything works, I'm guessing anything under 29k would be a reasonable price. Other posters may have a better feel for it's market value.
Thank you. That is excellent info on what damage to look for

Back
Top Bottom