What Does living fulltime mean:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziplock

Trailer parks?

This month it seems most fulltimer posts mean living in a trailer park.

Seems like last year, it meant driving around and living here and there.

@SeilerBird , You made me think of this.

So, what does fulltiming mean to the forum friends here?

Whether you are doing your VERSION of it yet, what does fulltiming mean to you?

Full timing is exactly that. Living in an RV full time. Whether your parked permanently in a park or move every few days your still a full timer.

What donn said. Whether you travel daily, semi-annually or never is academic - you are a fulltimer if the RV is your only home.

We also use the term "long timer" to mean RVers who live continuously in their RV a substantial part of the year, e.g. all winter (a snowbird) or all summer (sometimes called a sun bird). The subtle but important difference is that they have a fixed home somewhere to call "home", even if they aren't there much of the time.

Interesting.

My cousin has a friend that lives in a trailer park, but she doesn't call it fulltiming.

It must be a regional term.

I think full-time refers to those that have an RV or TT that they actually "intend" to move at least once during the year. This could be a simple 500 mile trip from summer to winter RV site, or a daily meander looking for boon-docking locations.

Someone with an RV or TT up on blocks with skirting or other permanent attachments is not full-timing, they are residing in a location.

Last edited:
We typically move every week or two, with a few month long stays throughout the year. But I know a fair number of normally more mobile fulltimers have been staying put with only occasional moves at best while waiting out the pandemic. My definition of an RV "fulltimer" is if you think you're a fulltimer, you probably are...

Interesting.

My cousin has a friend that lives in a trailer park, but she doesn't call it fulltiming.

It must be a regional term.
When I hear the term "trailer park" I translate it in my head to "mobile home park" Big units, often 50' long and up to 30' wide. Most times the hitch has been removed from the unit. I wouldn't call myself a full timer if I lived in one of those, not my definition of an RV.
An RV is up to 42' long, 8' wide(with possible slides)and moveable with it's own power or a 1 ton pickup.
That's what I live in...full time.

Irrelevent. Does she even consider herself an RVer? In any case, a definition doesn't require universal use to be meaningful.

Nor does many nuances of exactly how one lives in an RV have any effect on the definition of fulltime. There is at least as much variation in where & how people live in fixed-site dwellings. Some people own large homes, others live in apartments, and some even live exclusively in motel rooms . Some stay in one place all their lives, and others move frequently.

We consider ourselves fulltimers, our only abode is our motorhome, but we typically ony drive 2 months a year. We just settled in for our 'long winter nap'. and in April will find cooler weather for the summer.

In many respects we share the same philosophy. We have been living in our MH since 2011. We've always spent the winter "at rest" in a warm location; as the years have gone by the duration of our winter rest period has gotten longer. And, with Covid, we haven't been on the road at all in the past two years. Fortunately, we own a site in an "ownership park" so the cost of staying there is nothing more than our utilities.

What docj said. We have also been stationary for two years, but live in the same mh we have for the past nine years. We may or may not relocate in the future, but we could if we should decide to.

Ernie

Since there is no definition for the term fulltimer in any dictionary that I can find, it would seem to mean anything that a user happens to mean when saying or writing it. To me, fulltimer can mean several things but mostly it is an attitude that comes from experiencing the freedom of the road with no ties to any single location or real estate. People have been debating who is qualified to call themselves fulltimers for as long as there have been RV forums and I doubt it will stop in my lifetime. I even know one person who insists that he is a part-time, fulltimer.

I even know one person who insists that he is a part-time, fulltimer.
We can all fit into that definition. I was recently a "part-time, fulltimer" for a few days with my short trip to Oregon.

FWIW, to me, "full-timing" has always meant you only live in homes that are on wheels. IOW, you may own a house as long as you don't use it to live in. Perhaps rent it out or whatever. Whatever it means, I don't qualify.

-Don- Reno, NV

Since there is no definition for the term fulltimer in any dictionary that I can find, it would seem to mean anything that a user happens to mean when saying or writing it. To me, fulltimer can mean several things but mostly it is an attitude that comes from experiencing the freedom of the road with no ties to any single location or real estate. People have been debating who is qualified to call themselves fulltimers for as long as there have been RV forums and I doubt it will stop in my lifetime. I even know one person who insists that he is a part-time, fulltimer.
I'm a part time full timer, normally on the road living in the RV about 9 months a year, or in my vernacular a 3/4 timer.

Back
Top Bottom