What Does living fulltime mean:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Living full time means you spend a lot of time explaining to people what full time is. I love it when I am in a gas station filling up my RV and some smartass on a motorcycles gloats as he asks me what kind of gas mileage I get. I tell them about 8 miles per gallon, but I don't have to make a mortgage payment since it is paid for and I live in it full time. Usually shuts them up completely.

Usually shuts them up completely.
With a tent, a motorcycle can also full time.

At the CreekSide RV Park in Oregon that I was recently in, there were several tent campers--even in the rain, A couple were with motorcycles. I wonder if they were motorcycle full-timing. :)

-Don- Reno, NV

:)Smiling and waving at everyone.

That conversation explained everything.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Storms heading this way in the next hour.

Do we have a :

What's your weather like today thread?

Maybe we need a pinned weather thread for the upcoming year?

Living full time means you spend a lot of time explaining to people what full time is. I love it when I am in a gas station filling up my RV and some smartass on a motorcycles gloats as he asks me what kind of gas mileage I get. I tell them about 8 miles per gallon, but I don't have to make a mortgage payment since it is paid for and I live in it full time. Usually shuts them up completely.
Or in passive aggressive mode - "Well if you have to ask you can't afford it." - Said with your most sincere drippy smile...

I always wonder "why" people need these labels. "Full timer" is certainly is no measure of "RV experience" in any meaningful way.
Who says we "need" them? Or that is has anything to do with experience?

Perhaps some people just want to know what it means or if they are using the correct term.

-Don- Reno, NV

I don't personally care what label want to use on themselves. But over the >10 years we've been living in our MH there appears to have been an increase in the number of people who live in RVs who have never traveled with them and have no intention of ever doing so! The use of RVs as relatively inexpensive "alternative housing" has exploded as the cost of traditional housing has risen. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, but it does mean that you might not share as many common experiences with the people you meet as you might have once. IMHO if you've never traveled with your RV even once, then we have somewhat less to talk about.

Trailer parks?

This month it seems most fulltimer posts mean living in a trailer park.

Seems like last year, it meant driving around and living here and there.

@SeilerBird , You made me think of this.

So, what does fulltiming mean to the forum friends here?

Whether you are doing your VERSION of it yet, what does fulltiming mean to you?
I guess we need a category called "Fulltiming on the Road". This is a great question and point, @ziplock, cuz we are planning to "fulltime" but would be in the "mobile / on the road" category.

I guess we need a category called "Fulltiming on the Road". This is a great question and point, @ziplock, cuz we are planning to "fulltime" but would be in the "mobile / on the road" category.
Fulltime on the road and fulltime in a static park and still fullime. No different than part time on the road and part time static in a park. We've done both options of part time.

I just got back from my 3-month of full-timing. :)

I am undecided if I am glad to be "home" or not. Home was where I parked while RVing.

But my houses sure seem a lot larger now than before I started this last trip.:)

-Don- Reno, NV

I guess we need a category called "Fulltiming on the Road". T
Until one of the major dictionary printers chooses to put "fulltiming" into their publication with a specific definition you not see this argument end. I know that I mean if I use the term but I have learned not to share that opinion as it nearly always starts an argument. On another forum there is even a fellow who insists that he is a part-time fulltimer. For some reason there seems to be a bit of status associated with claiming to be one in the RV world but some other places consider fulltimer and trailer trash to be synonyms.

When I hear the term "trailer park" I translate it in my head to "mobile home park" Big units, often 50' long and up to 30' wide. Most times the hitch has been removed from the unit. I wouldn't call myself a full timer if I lived in one of those, not my definition of an RV.
An RV is up to 42' long, 8' wide(with possible slides)and moveable with it's own power or a 1 ton pickup.
That's what I live in...full time.
The local trailer park also allows RV's to park full time...it's a fun area :)

I don't personally care what label want to use on themselves. But over the >10 years we've been living in our MH there appears to have been an increase in the number of people who live in RVs who have never traveled with them and have no intention of ever doing so! The use of RVs as relatively inexpensive "alternative housing" has exploded as the cost of traditional housing has risen. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, but it does mean that you might not share as many common experiences with the people you meet as you might have once. IMHO if you've never traveled with your RV even once, then we have somewhat less to talk about.
That's absolutely true. We're in ours full time and it's got a permanent parking spot and street address, but I'm making sure it stays ready to roll. It still has all the RV travel-ready stuff in it, the waste still flows into holding tanks, the lighting is still 12 volt and it's got a valid title, registration and license plate. Our friend who's doing the same thing has no intention of ever moving his travel trailer again, it's sitting up on multiple blocks, he's yanked all the tanks, he's got a window unit shoved through the side for AC and he has mostly 120 volt lighting. Its registration hasn't been renewed in something like 10+ years. He said when it's time for it to go, it's going to get knocked into pieces by a bulldozer and loaded into a dumpster.

;) Is there a period of time required to be considered a full-time RVer? Like for one week, one month, 6 months, one year, or more? I mean, we live in our RV, mostly static in a SC State Park November - April, then we typically head to the S&B for 2 months then back on the road, visiting and sightseeing for 2 or 3 months.

Well, I'd say that the "full" in fulltime means 24/7/365. But eventually that fulltime era may come to an end, so I guess there has to be some minimum time period for the term to have a useful meaning. It would be pointless to say "we were fulltime last weekend", right? So I'd say yes, there is some minimum time, but I won't debate what it is.

The phrase "longtime" is sometimes used for people who keep a stick & brick home but also live in their RV for extended periods, say more than 2-3 months at a time.

Regardless of the term you use or how you define it, there are a couple decisive points. One is whether you have an alternate home besides the RV. If you have one, you avoid a number of legal & financial complications that can plague folks who live only in an RV, e.g. a place to register to vote, obtain driver licenses & vehicle tags, an address for your tax forms or professional licenses, a "principle garage" for insurance, etc. All those things are solvable without a fixed home base, but you must solve them if the RV is your only home, whereas you can ignore them if you do have a fixed home somewhere.

The other point is time-related but somewhat variable with the individual situation. At some point you are "on the road" long enough to have to make different arrangements for life's many little logistical things. The long term solutions will differ from shorter term for things like mail delivery, doctor & dentist care, grandkid's birthdays, major RV repair/service, etc. A fulltimer snowbird will probably come up with different solutions than fulltimer who travels every few weeks, but both are different than someone who travels only 3-6 weeks once or twice a year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom