What does "satellite ready" mean? How do I set up a portable dish when he roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callen1

My Gulfsream says that it is "satellite ready....which means what?  Outside, there are three connections, one telephone, one labeled "Park cable" and another coax, not labeled.  I hooked the portable dish into this coax, nothing.  I then connected the dish directly to the satellie receiver and it works.  I have an on roof automatic finder and thought I would never again have to set up a dish!  Wrong!  What do I need to do?

If you have a roof mount automatic satellite antenna, then you need to find that cable or cables and connect it/them to your satellite receiver.  The outside cable connections are not related to the satellite antenna.  Look in a front upper cabinet for the cable(s).

Usually it means they ran the wrong kind of cable to the roof, possible a 12 volt cable as well (though I have not checked that one)

I really do not suggest using RG-59 type cables on a satellite receiver save for the TV side of the box.

I suspect the other coax may actually be an output rather than an input, designed to let you plug a tv in outside (some people like to do that).

Your "satellite ready" cabling was no doubt connected to the on-roof automatic dish and probably goes direct to the satellite receiver as Ned suggests.  If you also want to use a portable dish, you may have to run an additional cable to the receiver. If you need to use a "Y" or A/B switch, make sure it is designed for use with a dish.  That's because a satellite coax carries a small amount of power to the dish, whereas the "park cable" connector does not. Standard TV adapters/connectors often do not pass the power though so the dish won't work with them.

callen1 said:
My Gulfsream says that it is "satellite ready....which means what?? Outside, there are three connections, one telephone, one labeled "Park cable" and another coax, not labeled.? I hooked the portable dish into this coax, nothing.? I then connected the dish directly to the satellie receiver and it works.? I have an on roof automatic finder and thought I would never again have to set up a dish!? Wrong!? What do I need to do?

TV cabling in an RV is an adventure when trying make changes or figure out what they meant to accomplish. :)

As mentioned, the coax "not" labeled is probably to connect an outdoor TV. The other one "is" for park cable input.

The reason it won't work with the dish is because it goes thru the signal booster located somewhere around the upfront TV. Even tho the booster is turned off for park cable, the cable still goes thru the box and screws up the signal if coming from the dish. To make that work for your portable dish, you would have to disconnect the other end from the booster and connect it directly to your Satellite receiver box.

Not sure what you mean by "automatic finder" on the roof. Is that one of those satellite dishes that a button push auto finds the bird (I just installed a semi automatic dome mount on my rig)? If so, are you now installing it -- or is is already there? If if already installed, there should be a cable from the dish to the receiver already -- wherever the receiver is located. As Ned suggests -- if you are now installing the auto dish, have you explored all the cabinet areas up front around where the TV is mounted?

Back
Top Bottom