What does this switch do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregg W

Recently bought a used 1993 Firan Ultrastar motor home. Me and my wife and son are living in it.
The usual newbie stuff applies here. I don't know a thing about RVs.

My first question is what does the dial type switch on the upper left of my breaker panel do?

Attachments

• Resized_20221001_093050.jpg
    Resized_20221001_093050.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 83
Just guessing - timer for engine warmer?

I suggest you turn your back so your son can turn it on and let you know...

It looks aftermarket... timer for TV watching when in bed?

I suggest you turn your back so your son can turn it on and let you know...

I tried to get my wife to do it but she chickened out when I told her she was responsible for any resulting fires.

It looks aftermarket... timer for TV watching when in bed?

This is probably it since there's an aftermarket TV next to the bed. I'll check when I get home..err..RV.

It does appear to be a timer. What it's for I don't know.. What make and model is the converter or (Might be the power panel) That might "Suggest" somethign.

Look for an outlet that looks like it might have been added. Could be outside too, decorative lighting perhaps. Exhaust fan?

I installed outside decorative lights and they plugged into a certain outlet and power to that outlet was inside my rv and it was a rheastat. I would dim the lights down to just about nothing when it was bedtime but they were just bright enough to deter someone for entering my space.

My first question is what does the dial type switch on the upper left of my breaker panel do?
I copied the picture into my photo editor to enlarge it and I believe that it is an Intermatic, 60 minute, spring wound wall timer. They are not uncommon but I'm pretty sure that it was not factory installed. I would look at the back of the timer if possible, and if not pull it out and check first to make sure that it is actually connected to something and then use your volt/ohm meter to see if there is power to it if so, is it 12V direct current, or is it 120V alternating current? Located where it is, either one is very available. It probably supplies something that a previous owner installed and you may be able to tell that it was.
This is probably it since there's an aftermarket TV next to the bed.
What is an aftermarket TV and how can you tell that? If it is a flat screen model you are probably right that it is a replacement for the original one but quite likely it did have a TV in the bedroom.

What is an aftermarket TV and how can you tell that? If it is a flat screen model you are probably right...

It's mounted to the wall in kind of an awkward spot. It is a flat screen. I don't think the switch has anything to do with the TV because the TV works when the switch is at zero.

I don't think the switch has anything to do with the TV because the TV works when the switch is at zero.
Have you checked to see if it has 120V or 12V to it? If we knew for sure the power it supplies that would be somewhat of a hint to possible answers to what it might control. It could also have been added by one owner and then disconnected by another, but leaving the timer to fill the hole. Until you check the wires to and from it we are just guessing in the dark.

Now maybe they would turn on the switch to water heater position then set the timer for maybe an hour. Enough time to heat the water then turn off.

(I know the switch below it switches from Microwave to water heater)
I suspect that what that switch does is select between sending power to the outlet used by the microwave or make power available to use the 120V heater of an RV water heater that can run on either propane of 120V. The water heater controls use 12V power to operate tham if using propane. If you were to post the band and model of the water heater we can probably get you a .pdf copy of the operator's manual and the service manual.

On 30 amp rigs a waterheater/microwave switch is a good idea.
But I'm kind of thinking as others.. That might be a water heater timer... Saves on the kilowatt hours don't you know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom