What happened to Seilerbird's photo albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Tom S,

It's been a long time since I looked, but recently I was going to click on the link to your photos and realized it no longer appears in your signature or profile. Was that a conscious move? Those photos were an inspiration to many would-be photographers here.

Thanks for the kind words Tom. I have been going through password hell lately. I have had to change passwords many times and I had to restore one of my Chromebooks so the links must have disappeared then. Thanks for noticing the missing links, I have restored them.

Thanks for restoring the links Tom, much appreciated.

Just curious ... didn't you use Picassa at one time? I see your photos are currently in Google, which is something I've been using for a couple of clubs who's members want to post collaboratively and share. Very pleased with it so far.

I use to use Picassa and I loved it. Then in a burst of stupidity Google shut down Picassa and replaced it with Google Photos. It is the only bad move Google has ever made. Plus I got stuck with about 400 business cards with a dead address.

I was not aware that you were part of the Beatles. :)) And folks don't dare look at those albums. You will get a serious case of cabin fever. Now I must find a way to get the song Piano Man out of my head.  8)

SeilerBird said:
Thanks for the kind words Tom. I have been going through password hell lately. I have had to change passwords many times and I had to restore one of my Chromebooks so the links must have disappeared then. Thanks for noticing the missing links, I have restored them.

Your photos are as good if not better than National Geographic. You should add your links to the bird thread so that a lot of people can enjoy them.

Boat Addict said:
Your photos are as good if not better than National Geographic. You should add your links to the bird thread so that a lot of people can enjoy them.
Thank you for the kind words. NG publishes some fantastic photos. The gold standard.

Years ago I saw a figure for the number of shots taken for each one that was published in NG. It was impressively high. And that at a time when each push of the shutter button came at a cost.

Heli_av8tor said:
Years ago I saw a figure for the number of shots taken for each one that was published in NG. It was impressively high. And that at a time when each push of the shutter button came at a cost.
I remember well when it cost $1 per slide. Now I can take as many as I want, they are essentially free. ;D

Heli_av8tor said:

And during that time some of us were working in our darkrooms at home and in some closet. Oh the days of manual cameras like Minolta 35mm. I remember the days that troops overseas would buy their favorite Nikons, the first choice for many and bring them back at a fraction of the cost domestically.  You could do wonders with the film speeds and filters long before photo shop and even computers to alter the photos to "perfection".  I think we get lazy with the point and click digitals. Maybe we need a thread on the details from SeilerBird  of his equipment. [hint, hint]

Boat Addict said:
Tom has been sharing his photos with us for years, and they're always great.

Boat Addict said:
And during that time some of us were working in our darkrooms at home and in some closet. Oh the days of manual cameras like Minolta 35mm. I remember the days that troops overseas would buy their favorite Nikons, the first choice for many and bring them back at a fraction of the cost domestically.  You could do wonders with the film speeds and filters long before photo shop and even computers to alter the photos to "perfection".  I think we get lazy with the point and click digitals. Maybe we need a thread on the details from SeilerBird  of his equipment. [hint, hint]
It is not that I have gotten lazy, it is unnecessary now since most all of my photos come out perfect(perfect as far as technical details go). My need for Photoshop has disappeared. As far as equipment I used that would be all over the map. I started my full timing with a junky point and shoot that wasn't used much. I upgraded to a Canon dslr and then switched to a Sony dslr A55 with a Tamron 150 to 600 lens. About five years ago I switched to using my cell phone for everything and I could not be happier. If you click on any photo you can then click on an i with a circle surrounding it (found at the top right of the screen) it will provide you with all the details for that photo. If you would like to see my camera history just click this link:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPQ9QDEHIgzx6EjdDEYPxjg2Huz9ZKIcwso5u8YkE5-zPFTrOru0WxcC-Bl-CuNXQ?key=UDV0LXRLTHFtNFpJa3pXNkctN2V2QmtGa1dUdEFB

Tom,

I still have the Goofle Fi link for share with a friend rebate.  I have been really looking at it now and researching.  I am still leaning towards doing it.  The COVID19 has me thinking thru the necessity of all $$ moves.

I see Google Fi is using Sprint and T-Mobile towers.  I had T-Mobile before...OK I guess/

The real appeal to me of having a unlimited $70 per month google Fi account is if I sign up I will have a 3rd line...but really I only want to use it as a hot spot.  The feature I like most is..you can pause the service, much like the Dish TV Sat offers.  I do envision the  service being mothballed and inactive 7-8 months min a year due to being at the Sticks and Bricks. 

This potential google fi service will be used only as a hotspot and I will use a old Galaxy S8 from my wife as the Hotspot device.

I have Cricket and the service is OK, but I know it is not Verizon quality service.  So using Cricket as a sporadic service as a hotspot I wonder about.  I also think I have to have a robust service plan (Upper tier) to add a hotspot.... so google fi still seems sexy to me.

One question. 

If you have google fi, do you set the auto upload to the cloud in a app or something?  I see your cameras and I do not see a Google Pixel phone in the mix so wondering how you do it?  Am curious if yes...do you get a certain amount of Cloud space for pics being a Google fi subscriber?

JD

X-Roughneck said:
If you have google fi, do you set the auto upload to the cloud in a app or something?  I see your cameras and I do not see a Google Pixel phone in the mix so wondering how you do it?  Am curious if yes...do you get a certain amount of space with being a Google fi subscriber?
The auto upload is set in the phone.

The cameras are in order in that link, the last one is the newest one, a Pixel XL 2.

Google does give you a large chunk of space to save your photos. If you buy a Chromebook right now it comes with 100 gigs of free space.

Attachments

• camera.png
    camera.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 4
I was in the camera repair business (1965 - 2015). Many of the later film SLR?s had shot counters we could access with proprietary software. Typical counts were less than 1000. Then came the DSLR?s with no perceived cost of pressing the button. We started seeing counts increase tenfold or more.

The shutters were basically the same as had been used in the film cameras and never designed for the increased use. We replaced a lot of them. Customers were shocked when we told them how many shots had been made. The repair bills brought them to the realization that shutter clicks weren?t free.

Gradually the designs got better and shutter life increased.

SeilerBird said:
The auto upload is set in the phone.

The cameras are in order in that link, the last one is the newest one, a Pixel XL 2.

Google does give you a large chunk of space to save your photos. If you buy a Chromebook right now it comes with 100 gigs of free space.

Seems I remeber my Pixel 2XL came with (one year?) unlimited, full resolution photo storage.  I don't think they ever changed my account to be limited.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom