What has happened to Potable Water in the NF campgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slowdog

Has anyone else noticed that many NF campgrounds that DID have Potable Water in the campground no longer provide water?  In planning our next trip to the Rocky Mountain states (mostly southern Wyoming and Colorado) I have been reviewing the NF Campground web pages to make sure they were currently open... I keep coming across "Notices" stating that there is "No Potable Water since XX/XX/2017".  Apparently, several of the campgrounds that we have previously camped at no longer provide Potable Water.  We know that some of these campground had water in 2016 because we camped in those campgrounds.  These campground water spigots are the spigots inside the campgrounds, not at any dump station ...  Anyone know why this is happening? 

Some of the area campgrounds appear to still provide water but some of our favorite ones no longer have water.  Have any of you camped in any such campgrounds in Southern Wyoming and Colorado this summer?  Is this to become a nationwide problem?  I am just wondering how to plan for our trip and how many water jugs will I have to carry with me.  My wife likes me to shower at least once every few days!  I have emailed the NF folk but no answer as of yet.  Thanks!

Slowdog said:
  I have emailed the NF folk but no answer as of yet.

You may want to call a couple of the parks directly and talk to a ranger, probably get an answer more quickly

I can think of a couple possibilities.  There is a huge backlog of maintenance items within the Forest Service.  Just like the Park Service, they don't get an adequate budget from Congress to take care of everything that needs attention.  So if a well tested bad, they might not have the funds to remediate it.

The other issue may be the Arid West.  Aquifers that feed water wells do run dry out here at times.

Either way, I would make a call to inquire.

A similar phenomenon has occurred in Alberta; non-potable warnings on every pump or spigot. It is cheaper to post signs than to constantly monitor the water quality. No easy way to tell whether the water is actually contaminated or not.  :mad:

Do you feel lucky today?

Having been a volunteer at a state park in San Diego area of California, there is definitely a problem with funding in the state parks. Not enough money for any maintenance related items. I imagine it's the same in all parks, especially those that rely on outside funding. Also, since California, especially southern Ca is in an extreme drought, it's likely any potable water is not available due to water restrictions.

Thanks for the replies!  I did get an answer back from a guy with the NF Service who stated "...They have to pass several water tests in order to be considered safe and potable. It is also possible some [parks] have no funding for the expensive testing..."  Sad that our parks fall to ruin while we send BILLIONS to other Nations!!  I know....no politics...but this makes me angry.... Guess I will buy more 5-gallon jugs!  Thanks!

Slowdog said:
Thanks for the replies!  I did get an answer back from a guy with the NF Service who stated "...They have to pass several water tests in order to be considered safe and potable. It is also possible some [parks] have no funding for the expensive testing..."  Sad that our parks fall to ruin while we send BILLIONS to other Nations!!  I know....no politics...but this makes me angry.... Guess I will buy more 5-gallon jugs!  Thanks!
What about picking up a water purifier. Just about any camping store (REI etc) would have them. I would bet the water is still safe to drink they just haven't had it tested. Hence the CYA sign.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom