What have you done to inprove performance or milage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WILDEBILL308

What if any modes have you done to your exhaust or air cleaner. Has any one
added a chip to improve performance or mileage? For instance a Bankes power pack
system.
Bill

Try searching banks power, you will see quite a bit of info on this forum. In short you can get a noticeable power boost so if hat is your need it may be worth considering. If you are trying to increase mpg don't waste your money, these systems aren't cheap and really don,t save gas.

Here is a link to what I did. It also has some great info on air filters. I went from 6.6 average to 7.4 average with what I did. The best for milage is the right foot forsure. Happy reading. I hope the link works.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=52627.msg486870#msg486870

The best thing you can do for fuel economy is to raise your right foot. Reduced speed, and therefore reduced wind resistance, is the simplest and cheapest major mpg improvement. Not necessarily the easiest to do, though! That foot is hard to re-train!

Drop your usual cruising speed 5mph and use the cruise control.  Let that lead foot rest :)

I think you would have to be putting on a lot of miles every year for anything to pay for itself in gas savings. Like Ned and Gary said, slow down and use the cruise control. I drive 55 with the cruise on and I get there every time.

I have changed out injectors, fuel plate, governor springs, ported the turbo and exhaust manifold, different exhaust system for increased performance. It did result in improved mileage but results may vary with that  ;D
Slowing down does the most for that. We also purchased a lighter and shorter 5th wheel, but only have one trip so far with it.

Sorry I didn't avswer the question. You ask what have I done to improve mileage?
The answer to that would be I didn't need to I bought a 2011 Duramax 10 mpg pulling 15,500 lb. fifth wheel.

I just did a test run on my way down to Arizona. Instead of 70 & 75 mph. I drove a steady 65. I noticed a big difference. We arrived at destinations with much more fuel in the tank. As has been suggested here, just take it easy and the mileage will improve.

Bill

I did put a K&N air filter on, and saw about 1mpg increase.  The challenge with a K&N air filter though is servicing it.  Most people don't do it, or don't do it correctly.  Some need oil, some don't, follow the instructions that came with your K&N filter.  If serviced correctly, a K&N air filter can be the most cost effective fuel mileage increase other than foot pressure on the accelerator.

On the latter, I find 57 mph (except CA, where 63 works better) to be a great speed to travel.  Seldom do I have to pass anyone, or spend time in "packs."  Many of the trucking companies set their speeds to 62 mph, and you end up with trucks that can go half a mile an hour faster, so they try to pass.  At 57, I don't find that happening, I relax and have an enjoyable drive.  Generally I have shows on my Sirius radio or pre-planned CD's  that occupy my time while I'm enjoying the scenery.  After all, I'm on vacation, not in a race.  The bonus is I can go a lot further before I need to stop for fuel.

My bad I didn?t tell you what I was driving
2003 Bounder 38N with 300 hp Cummins and 3000 Allison.
I am familiar with modes to gas mote homes but new to the world of diesel.
I understand using a light foot but wonder what else is out there.
Hes4all, I liked the test reports you posted with the first link but the charts wouldn?t load. I also like the bigger standard filter. Ok you can have a laugh on the newbey does the out side filter housing come with the filter or is that separate? I looked at the Aero Turbine muffler when at the 6 State FMCA regional rally in Shawnee OK last month. Looked good but I am Leary of some of there claims. They were more pricey at the show as you might guess.
Bill

>I understand using a light foot but wonder what else is out there.

When it comes to saving money on gas in an RV mostly all there is is promises and false hopes. Gas mileage is pretty much determined by driving speed and wind resistance. 18 wheelers get almost as good mileage as a big RV.

Well then, there are a lot of things you can do to that Cummins. 

The air filter, either K&N or FleetAir is still number one and will increase fuel mileage at $300 or less. 

Two, reducing back pressure on the exhaust side is the next economical move.  Check with Pittsburgh Power, they have mufflers for about $200 that reduce back pressure which increased mileage. 

Three, for more cost, a ported and polished manifold. 

Four, Reducing rolling resistance by your choice of tires.  You can check rolling resistance at http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/toolbox/toolbox-landing.jsp# Look on the left of the page, fourth selection down is RR comparison, most every brand is listed and all tested the same, the lower the number the better.

And finally, for the Pi?ce de r?sistance, a Pittsburgh Power Box.  These things aren't cheap, and if you set it more for power than economy, you will actually lower your fuel mileage, but that MH will run like a bandit!  It has settings from lowest power, highest fuel mileage, to highest power, lowest fuel mileage, you can change it on the fly.  So if you are going though the mountains pulling a toad, turn it up, on flat land, turn it down and maximize fuel mileage. 

Here's there web site; http://www.pittsburghpower.com/

In trucks used 100,000 miles a year, I do all of those; but on a MH, I'd do the air filter, muffler if available for my MH, and the PP Box (Just for fun).  At the price of the box, I don't think I'd ever drive a MH enough miles for a ROI, but it'd give me a lot of fun back for my investment.

When I think of mileage improvement I always try to figure out how long it will take to return my investment. If I buy an item that improves my mileage by half a mile per gallon, a big improvement by anyones standard, I'd go from 7.0 to 7.5. If I travel 10,000 miles each year, I save 94 gallons of fuel. At $4.00 per gallon thats $376. A chunk of change. (although I did spend another big chunk, $5332 in fuel for the 1333 gallons I burned)

However, if the new gadget only improves my mileage by a tenth of a mile per gallon, which is probably more likely, I save 20 gallons in that same 10,000 miles, much less punch.

And then, if I drive 5000-7000 miles like many fulltimers do. Or maybe I drive only a couple of thousand miles each year like many weekenders, my savings takes many years to break even. Should I even talk about the average trade in schedule?

For me keeping the free things as close to perfect as I can is good.

Ken

Minor things, changed exhaust out to 4" stainless, removed accordion hose from intake and replaced with 6" PVC, sealed intake box into a plenum. The best thing I did was free up the waste gate on turbo, next is fix leaky exhaust manifold for more exhaust press to turbo.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Hes4all, I liked the test reports you posted with the first link but the charts wouldn't load. I also like the bigger standard filter. OK you can have a laugh on the newbey does the out side filter housing come with the filter or is that separate? I looked at the Aero Turbine muffler when at the 6 State FMCA regional rally in Shawnee OK last month. Looked good but I am Leary of some of there claims. They were more pricey at the show as you might guess.
Bill
Here are the links for you again. They did open for me.

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm
http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/air.filters.html
http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/techtalk/engine/air_fltr.htm

After reading the test, I would not go with the K&N. You read them and you will know why.
My stock filter was 93/4x24. The filter I replaced it with is 11/4 x 93/4.
So take 11/4x3.14 x 24 and you get just over 64. That is the amount or inches gained in going with the larger filter. After trips I would check the vacuum gauge and with the stock filter it would always be a 8-9 with a new filter. The new larger filter has yet to read over 1-2. You figure it out.

My air filter is built with the housing.

I found the Aero mufler for $160.00 shipped to me. I can get that number for you If you like. I can't say that it made a differenve because I put it on at the same time as the filter. I will say it is loader though.

Terry,
I pulled my air cleaner out yesterday and it only meshes 5? on the outlet. I went back and checked your motor home is a 400 HP and my little 300 HP motor may not need as much flow. Do mud dobber nest really restrict airflow? I am going to Freightliner today to get some info and maybe a filter. I may check some of the other truck supply places to see if I can get a better price.
I decided to by a muffler from Banks it should be hear in 2-3 days. I would like to get both installed as we are going to Fredericksburg Texas after Thanks giving.
What I really need now is feedback on Banks EconoMind? Diesel Tuner + electronic DynaFact pyrometer and boost gauge assembly.
Bill

One of the best things you can do to improve MPG is ... Simonize.. Or even just regular turtle Wax..  This makes the RV slipperier.. I have, in the past, kept detailed records of gasoline used and miles driven on cars and noted the difference in MPG following a full wax job.. On the Motor home I use the engine computer's readout, but it too showed an amazing difference following a wax job.

I won't tell you how big, because those who have not done the work and kept the records won't believe it.. But i saw the improvement with my own pocket calculator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom