What hitch weight rating do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyingtexan

I recently bought a F350 Dually that came with a Reese 30093 hitch, 3750 tongue weight, 15000 LBS hitch loose in the bed. I'm new to this and want to make sure I have a sufficient hitch to safely pull my 5th wheel. The empty weight of my trailer is or dry weight is 11460 LBS, the MGVW or loaded weight is 14460.

Will this hitch work and be safe or should I go a bit higher?

Also, I need to mount it. I have the mounting kit from Reese but was shocked to read the directions and discover only two bolts on each rail actually go thru the mount on the frame, the other two just go thru the sheetmetal of the bed. Thoughts?

that hitch is rated to 15000 lbs so your close but not over problem is thats a very basic hitch - not a lot of movement or damping of you can get a 20k curt or reese cheaply you will like it better - what year F350? if you do a search on the curt or reese website it will match up the right frame kit for you 

I would agree with steveblonde.  You are right at your limit.  I would definitely look at a 20K, but at least a 17K.  The truck being a long bed is good, you don't need to start the whole "do I need a slider" war!  But I would really look at a heftier hitch with that trailer.  And yeah, a better mounting kit.  My Curt 20K is a heavy bugger, and way overkill for my 5th wheel, but it has not been a problem (other than trying to haul it out of the bed!) in the 9 years I've had it.  And it's been in 3 different trucks.

I bought a brand new Momentum 394 about a month ago and the GVWR of the Toy Hauler is 20K lbs.  I preferred a B&W Companion hitch so instead of buying the 20K hitch, I opted for the 25K hitch.  The pin weight rating on that hitch is like 6400 lbs and the 394 should never get close to that kind of weight on the pin, with a 20K GVWR.  In my opinion, it's ALWAYS better to have too much hitch and just enough.

xrated said:
I bought a brand new Momentum 394 about a month ago and the GVWR of the Toy Hauler is 20K lbs.

Didn't happen without pics ;D

Need to change your signature too

kdbgoat said:
Didn't happen without pics ;D

Need to change your signature too

LOL....yea, I know.  I've been busy working on it the last several weekends getting it ready to be "our" Big MO.  So far, I've installed a ventilated double battery box with my Trojan T105s, TireMinder Smart TPMS system, Tool box in the garage, a Progressive Ind. EMS system, I built and installed a Stromberg Carlson 44" slide out for the cargo area, and I'm presently installing a mounting system for the motorcycle wheel chocks.  More stuff to do, but one at a time has been keeping my busy.  I also hate the picture size limit on this forum and have just been too lazy to down size some of the pics to meet the forum size limit.

Here's one that I took at the dealership the day we bought it.....Peggy looks happy, and when momma's happy.........

Attachments

• P1000095 (Copy).JPG
    P1000095 (Copy).JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 19
xrated said:
Here's one that I took at the dealership the day we bought it.....Peggy looks happy, and when momma's happy.........

Beautiful. And, the trailer looks nice too.  ;D

There is always a little ?extra? engineered into this type of equipment, but you are close to the listed max. It never hurts to have a little more capacity. 

If you were closer, I could sell you a ?used? 20 K Reese with 4-way articulating head, pretty cheap ( compared to new)!  Good Luck with your decision, and enjoy your new endeavor!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom