What Hobbies or Crafts Fit Your RV Lifestyle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
What Hobbies or Craftes do you find fit your RVing lifestyle?  Lets include the ladies as well as the guys in this discussion.

I know knitting , swedish weaving, sewing, and Quilting are some of the hobbies/crafts that interest several of the ladies.  Sam is very much into quilting and is very good at it.  Sam has also taught quilting classes.  What interest to some of the ladies in the framily find interests them.

I like photography and digital photography has made this a very viable hobby for the RVer.  I also enjoy my time on the computer and this forum.  Off roading is another interest I have.  Off roading and Photography complement each other very well.  Sam also enjoys off roading better when she can drive.  Just the fact that we are RVers is very  enjoyable.

What hobbies or crafts do you have that you can do while RVing?

Great question Ron, and one I hope that folks will weigh in on.

I know you and Sam are too modest to post this, but I'll take the liberty of posting a photo of one of Sam's wonderful quilts. The photo of Sam (right) and Chris was taken while we were at Sam's Camp, Lewistown, Mt in 2004.

Attachments

• sams-quilt.jpg
    sams-quilt.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 163
Well, I am a 5-star newbie when it comes to RV-ing. Like you, Ron, I would like to make photographs while I am on the road. When I chose my travel trailer, I made sure that there would be room for my Macintosh and a printer.

I also like off-roading and have done a bit of it in Colorado in the Granby area and in the Red River area in New Mexico. I recently traded in my Chevy Blazer for a Toyota Tundra, which I have not had off road yet. The blazer was a real kick, and we had a lot of fun with it, but it was just turning 130,000 miles and it wouldn't handle a travel trailer, I'm sure.

Because of my schedule, I will only be able to travel during the summer months, but I hope to become a full-timer eventually, perhaps in a couple of years.

Tom said:
Great question Ron, and one I hope that folks will weigh in on.

I know you and Sam are too modest to post this, but I'll take the liberty of posting a photo of one of Sam's wonderful quilts. The photo of Sam (right) and Chris was taken while we were at Sam's Camp, Lewistown, Mt in 2004.

Thank You Tom. ?I just showed your message to Sam and she informed me ?the quilt in that photo ?is one of the two quilts she plans to enter in the Fergus County Fair ?this summer while we are at Sam's Camp. The second is the full size bed quilt she is working on now.

I know several of the ladies are quilters, including Chris, hopefully they will take part in this discussion and possibly exchange quilting tips or how to/s as well.

This could be a good place to exchange ideas, tips & suggestions for any of the hobbies and crafts framily members have an interest in.

Don Peterson said:
Well, I am a 5-star newbie when it comes to RV-ing. Like you, Ron, I would like to make photographs while I am on the road. When I chose my travel trailer, I made sure that there would be room for my Macintosh and a printer.

I also like off-roading and have done a bit of it in Colorado in the Granby area and in the Red River area in New Mexico. I recently traded in my Chevy Blazer for a Toyota Tundra, which I have not had off road yet. The blazer was a real kick, and we had a lot of fun with it, but it was just turning 130,000 miles and it wouldn't handle a travel trailer, I'm sure.

Because of my schedule, I will only be able to travel during the summer months, but I hope to become a full-timer eventually, perhaps in a couple of years.

Don,

Offroading and photography complement each other very well.  Hopefully you will be able to make a Moab rally sometime.  This is offroading and picture taking heaven.  The attached photo is an example of both the scenic off roading trails and photo opportunities available at the Moab rally.

This photo was taken from the Anticline overlook, looking down on hurrah pass on the route to Chicken Corners.  You can see the road coming up the right side of the photo and down on the left side of the photo.  What a great off road ride.

We also do a lot of offroading here in Az.  Lot to see here in the desert that I sure a lot of folks are not even aware of.

Attachments

• Hurrah Pass (Large).jpg
    Hurrah Pass (Large).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 125
Wow! What a breathtaking shot.

My brother and I took a 5-day trip on White Rim Canyon trail a few years ago, which was a fascinating trip. I'll have to rummage through my box of pictures to see what I can dig up. We had the Blazer out there, and we tent-camped. Also did some bicycling,which is a real challenge when you need to get through the desert sand. I have been keeping my eye on the posts for the Moab rally and hope to join you all out there some time soon.

Don Peterson said:
Wow! What a breathtaking shot.

My brother and I took a 5-day trip on White Rim Canyon trail a few years ago, which was a fascinating trip. I'll have to rummage through my box of pictures to see what I can dig up. We had the Blazer out there, and we tent-camped. Also did some bicycling,which is a real challenge when you need to get through the desert sand. I have been keeping my eye on the posts for the Moab rally and hope to join you all out there some time soon.

Thanks.  We did the white Rim trail last year during the rally and will be doing it again this year only in reverse direction as last year.  Ron M posted a photo he took during the ride last year just withing the last couple days.

We would sure like you to join us when you can.

A couple of places I remember on White Rim which were particularly exciting were "Murphy's Hogback" which seemed like a near vertical climb, and one called "Hard Scrabble" which was not as high as Murphy's but the trail was made up of loose "scrabble" as I recall and you really had to hang on to the wheel to stay on the trail. The whole trip was a really unforgettable experience.

Don Peterson said:
A couple of places I remember on White Rim which were particularly exciting were "Murphy's Hogback" which seemed like a near vertical climb, and one called "Hard Scrabble" which was not as high as Murphy's but the trail was made up of loose "scrabble" as I recall and you really had to hang on to the wheel to stay on the trail. The whole trip was a really unforgettable experience.

We had a very enjoyable ride last year.  We all enjoyed the ride and I suspect the same folks will go this year as lest plus a few more. 

Ron,

As you know, I like photography and off roading as well as cycling for my hobbies. The first two certainly complement each other. It's difficult to carry the appropriate equipment when cycling but the workout is worth the lack of photos. :D I have many photos of our trips out west that keep alive the desire to continually return to a beautiful part of our great country.

Jim Dick said:
Ron,

As you know, I like photography and off roading as well as cycling for my hobbies. The first two certainly complement each other. It's difficult to carry the appropriate equipment when cycling but the workout is worth the lack of photos. :D I have many photos of our trips out west that keep alive the desire to continually return to a beautiful part of our great country.

You are very good at both offroading and photography Jim.  Sam & I have enjoyed the many offroad trips we have shared with you and Pat and other forum members.

Thanks, Ron. :) It's easier to be good at something you enjoy though photography still has a way to go. We've enjoyed our many trips with you and Sam as well as all the other framily members.

I think the first thing is RV'ing and seeing new places. If this isn't a hobby, I'm not sure what you would call it.  Meeting friends like the folks here on the RVForum rates high too. Then for a  real hobby, it has to be taking pictures and trying to inprove my photography skills.

Chet

I agree, Chet. One of the appealing features of the "hobby" of photography, is that you can never learn it all and become bored with it. There is always something new to learn, and each image that you make is a new creation. You can photograph a flower in any number of different lighting situations, different angles, different times of year, and get a totally new image every time. And there are endless things to photograph, especially in nature.

Don

Chet18013 said:
I think the first thing is RV'ing and seeing new places. If this isn't a hobby, I'm not sure what you would call it.? Meeting friends like the folks here on the RVForum rates high too. Then for a? real hobby, it has to be taking pictures and trying to inprove my photography skills.

Chet

I coudn't agree more Chet.  The digital cameras have made photography even adaptable to RVing since the dark room is now on the computer.  Being able to view the photos right after taking them makes it even more fun for me. 

Most folks know that I like to fish. My real love-to-do is fly fishing streams for trout (I also tie my own flies). Next best is float tubing the lakes and casting a fly. But, when I'm not in the mountains, I settle for casting a lure to black bass or striped bass (aka stripers). Occasionally Chris and I will go sturgeon fishing. We also like salmon fishing in the ocean, but haven't done that in a few years. Attached is a photo of one of Chris' salmon. I'll get other photos attached later (they're all on CD).

FWIW I practice catch-and-release, so those trout are usually caught on barbless hooks..

Attachments

• CJ big fish.jpg
    CJ big fish.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 62
Tom,

As you know fishing is also one of my favorite thing to do.  Looking at that photo are you telling us that Chris skunked you that trip? ??? ??? ;D ;D

No comment Ron  :) but she usually does pretty good. Wait until I upload a photo of her sturgeon.

Tom said:
No comment Ron? :) but she usually does pretty good. Wait until I upload a photo of her sturgeon.

Are going to see any of your catches or does Chris make it a habit of skunking you? ;D ;D ;D ???

Back
Top Bottom