What inverter are you using for the refer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteva

Norcold 611 blew up (yellow sh%$ all over). Thinking about changing to a Haier 10.11 cu ft. fridge. Not sure of the best inverter to use. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks

Some will tell you that a reefer need a pure sine inverter. This is not true. AC motors really don't care. We have been running a dorm reefer on a harbor freight cheapo for years. The compressor runs a little warmer on the inverter than it does on shore power. As I recall (measure with an IR gun) it was like 5°F on a nominal day. It will kill your house bank faster. The reefer only draw a couple hundred watts running, but it requires a lot of current to spin the compressor up. We are using an inverter that is rated at 750 continues and 1500 peak. That was what was on sale when we got it. Put the inverter as close to the house bank as you can, but isolated from the battery fumes. Then run an extension cord to the reefer location. You will also have left over AC for other things.

Some will tell you that a reefer need a pure sine inverter. This is not true. AC motors really don't care. We have been running a dorm reefer on a harbor freight cheapo for years. The compressor runs a little warmer on the inverter than it does on shore power.

The compressor motor does care, but as Matt's experience (and my own) indicates, that "care" doesn't necessarily mean it will be fatal. The extra heat is a measure of reduced efficiency and wasted power, and excessive heat reduces the life expectancy by some amount. The price difference for pure sine is now low enough that it's wise to opt for that. A decent quality 1000W MSW inverter runs $150, while 1000W pure (PSW) inverter runs around $200-$250.

For my 14.6 cu ft GE fridge I used an Aims 1200W PSW inverter with a built-in auto-transfer switch. Price was $249, as I recall.

I use a 14.3 SF Frigidaire,, I had installed a 3000 watt Xantrex two years earlier so was prepared for the eventual demise of the RV refer..>>>Dan

Last edited:
I hope you are as happy with it as we are. The only downside is having to run the generator when dry camping more than two days.
Matt

I shall report back after the change over. If the moon and stars are in alignment perhaps the little Honda 2000i is able to run the refer and the A/C at the same time. Start up surge will be the BIG question.

Attachments

• lilred.jpg
    lilred.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1
I installed that same Haier this spring and overkilled with the inverter. I used this inverter Voltworks inverter. Due to an electrical problem a couple weeks ago, we ran the refrig on the inverter for 7+ hours in 85 degree weather and barely drew down the batteries. The refrig pulls 287 watts running and momentary 670 watts on start up.

Project completed!
Could not get my first choice refer and had to settle for 2nd choice. HD had a sale on Magic Chief 10.1 cu ft fridge (in stock). Measurements were perfect for my space and could I not beat the price. Renogy 2000 watt Pure sine wave inverter arrived from Amazon and was easily installed below the fridge with the remote along with a DC electricity usage monitor matching my existing AC monitor. Designed a set of mounting brackets to secure the fridge to the base for travel.

To lock the doors during travel I used a knob, bracket and bolt that matched the size of the existing hole used for reversing the door swing. This secures both upper and lower doors when needed.

Extremely happy with project as is, however my next mod is to be able to charge the house batteries from the engine alternator using a latching relay and battery isolator.

Thanks again for recommendations.

UPDATE:
As of this date, although promised, I have not had the time to put together a proper study of using batteries for the new residential fridge. The Bride and I have made a few trips since the change and would not consider returning to the old Norco.

I did install a battery isolator to charge house batteries by the engine alternator while traveling & using the inverter to power the fridge.

There is a possibility I may go to LaPlace La. to help friends & family with hurricane damage. If so, I expect to be boon-docking on batteries and the Honda 2000i for a few weeks. That would be a real test.

laissez le bon temps rouler.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom