What is a good PC program to use for making your own DVD's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladybug

I want to be able to make my own DVD's from my digital photographs. I want to be able to add music and special effects, etc. I have been playing around with some of the "freebies" on the web, but think I need something more.  Any suggestions?

Mac OS or Windows platform??
For mac OS, nothing beats Final Cut Pro.
For Windows, the best I have seen is Sony's Studio 9.
On the cheap side, "Camtasia" will do pretty much what you want to do if you don't plan to go fancy.

If you're using Windows, then the Windows Movie Maker will do that.  Movie Maker is included in Vista Home Premium and is a free download for XP.

Thank you for your advice. I am running Window's XP on my laptop.  I tried to download Window's Movie Maker, but then it tells me I have to do an automatic update which I have always had automatic updates scheduled to do once a week. I went ahead and did the update manually, but still no Window's Movie Maker. I even called Microsoft to find out what my problem was and for $139 dollars they will talk with me. I thanked them very nicely and told them I would figure out the problem, but I have no idea why I can't download the Movie Maker.  I was able to download Photo Story 3. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ???

Movie Maker won't come down as an automatic update but can be downloaded through the Microsoft Updates.  You do need SP2 as a prerequisite.

With automatic updating I have been updated to SP3. So assume this is the problem?

No, SP3 isn't the problem.  You have to go to Microsoft Update and manually select the Movie Maker download, I believe.  It's been a while since I installed it and I don't run XP here any longer.

Ned

Did what you recommended. While downloading Windows Movie Maker, towards the end of the download this came up: error 1720 and to contact Microsoft or my System Administrator. Any idea?

I've been using Photodexs ProShow for years.  Currently, I'm using the Producer version.  It is sometimes a bit quirky, but I find it the best I have tried.

That is a Windows Installer error and can have a number of causes.  A Google search on error 1720 windows installer will turn up a number of links to possible fixes.

There are dozens of choices and its mostly personal opinion what is best. I do my own organization of photo files into folders (directories) by year and occasion and then simply burn whatever set of folders I want to a CD or DVD using either Nero Burning or the Windows burning tool if all I want to a portable set of photo files to show.  For more sophisticated slideshows, e.g. with music backgrounds and special effects, I've used  Cyberlink MediaShow and Arcsoft's DVD Slideshow with good results and some others I don't recall. 

And as Ned say, Movie Maker is free with Windows and works well enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom