What is best 5th wheel to purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markowb

I am looking to purchase a new 5th wheel about 29 feet. What would you recommend and why? I am looking for good quality at a reasonable price.
A consideration is the warranty and how easy it is to have the work done.
I am open to hearing other things to consider and why.
Thank you for your time to reply.

There is no "best". All RVs are mass produced to low to no quality control standards.
Now, if I were buying new today it would be one of the Northwood or OutdoorRV products. Sister companies based in LaGrand,OR with a good reputation for building decent products. Being a PNW company their dealer network is rather limited. But who cares. My,other top choice would be Forest Rivers Cedar Creek lineup. For your size choice look at the Silverback models. My last fiver was a Cedar Creek and it help up for us for nearly 13 years before we had to sell for health reasons.

I would not buy new, I buy a few years older. RV warranties are worthless in my opinion. I would prefer to have a mobile mechanic come to me.

Buy used! Most new units come with multiple problems which warranty will cover, but will take weeks or months to get fixed. A 2 or 3 year old model will have all this stuff fixed and you are not locked in to a specific dealer / repair facility. The money you save buying used and using mobile RV services will pay for lots of nice upgrades.

Also, as Steve said, what is your tow vehicle? ½ Ton trucks are totally inadequate for a 29 ft FW. You really need a 1 ton SRW for a FW that size.

Buy used! Most new units come with multiple problems which warranty will cover, but will take weeks or months to get fixed. A 2 or 3 year old model will have all this stuff fixed and you are not locked in to a specific dealer / repair facility. The money you save buying used and using mobile RV services will pay for lots of nice upgrades.
Is this still true for used units these days?
We looked at a 2020 recently where the paperwork was left in a drawer. The unit sold for $37k new in 2019 and the dealer has it priced at 39.9.

@aclass, you pose an interesting question. One would expect that a gently used unit will have had all of its initial "bugs" addressed and will therefore be nearly camping-ready, as opposed to waiting on a dealer's lot for warranty items to be addressed. However, as your experience demonstrates, market forces in the form of unprecedented demand may negate any potential savings found buying used rather than new.

For someone who tries very hard to apply prudence in major decisions and purchases this increases the level of confusion exponentially.
Typically, if I'm going to spend 40-50 grand then I would certainly consider spending the additional 3-5k for the difference between new and used.:unsure:
However, I'm struggling with the decision.

For someone who tries very hard to apply prudence in major decisions and purchases this increases the level of confusion exponentially.
Typically, if I'm going to spend 40-50 grand then I would certainly consider spending the additional 3-5k for the difference between new and used.:unsure:
However, I'm struggling with the decision.
it is not a question of saving money, it is about saving time. New units always have problems that should be addressed at the dealers lot. That usually results in long wait before you can actually go camping. And the difference between new and used is heck of a lot more that $5,000.

I bought a new 5er in April of this year. Its been in once for some minor issues. It was in the shop for 4 days. It goes back in a week for some more minor issues ( there is some loose trim, a bracket has become dislodged, some screws have backed out, a glass stove cover exploded in the heat one day, and i have a loose draw) all minor stuff. Its been across the country in a 8500km treck last month. It will be in the shop 4 days. My old unit i purchased new sept 15 2014 according to facebook memories lol. It was in the shop 3 times each time for a week. BUT here is the rub it was starting to show its age. The new unit has way more technology. The old one was starting to have slide issues the fridge was starting to give me problems, the happy jack bunk beds werent running up and down tge tracks so smooth. And lots of other minor issues. I had put new tires on new brakes new wheel bearings. I paid $62 cdn on a list price seven years ago of $100k they gave me $50 on trade. I bought my unit for $100 list was $147 and they sold my old unit for $55 .

Im good with my deal my wife is good with the deal, the new unit is basically an updated version of my old unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom