What is happening to our society?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill N

Today I am very disappointed in society in general. I hope my faith in people helping people has not been lessened.  Joan was walking our dog in the subdivision. About a quarter mile from the house she stumbled on a piece of the sidewalk that was a bit raised at the joint. She fell hard on her side and lost hold on the leash and the dog started wandering around in the street - small Shih Tzu pup. 
    Joan was trying to get up but still flat on the ground and two cars PASSED RIGHT BY with both drivers looking at her.  Thankfully the dog came back and Joan managed to get herself up and other than a couple of bruises is uninjured.  She will be 75 years old tomorrow but is in very good physical shape. She called me and I offered to come get her but she wanted to hoof it back home on her own  (and did). 
    When home again she tells me that her mother took a fall on her 75th birthday and broke a hip and that pretty much started her downfall to a lot of medical problems.  Thankfully my lady will not have any serious injuries but my faith in society is a bit reduced by people passing by another in need.
    Not trying to start any kind of a sympathy thing but just a bit shocked at the change in today's society from our earlier days.  Just living in a subdivision is even different.  Seems all the neighbors go to work, come home and go inside until the next day - no socialization.  Our next door neighbor just moved in and we introduced ourselves and told them to feel free to ask for help if needed.  Now whenever we see them, they turn and look the other way.  One thing is noted:  Renters are the ones who seem to be resistant to conversation.  New home owners not so much.

Bill

I feel much the same regarding the public in general. However, it seems that the RV population still feels that spirit of camaraderie, which is evidenced by most people being friendly as my wife and I are strolling through the parks. Most people will turn their heads and wave, and many a good conversation has resulted from our common interest in RV-ing.

In May 2007, it was 1am, I was on a highway headed home from a fancy (like a wedding) event wearing a dress and heels. I was a young mom who needed to make it home to my babies in one piece. The car in front of me crashed head on into a vehicle traveling the wrong way. I pulled over. There were 2 cars, one had screams of agony coming from it, so I knew the people or person in the car was conscious. The other car was silent and the front was on fire. I ran over to get the 3 people out of the car. Not only did nobody step up to help, a ton of people pulled over, stood by watching, AND were yelling at me to get out of the car. The three kids in the car were unconscious and therefore unable to do anything for themselves. A truck stopped and ended up putting out the fire and at that point, still only 2 other people helped before the emergency vehicles arrived. There was a huge crowd of people watching. There was even a doctor who wouldn't touch them and instead talked me through how to help since I was already "exposed" to their blood/fluids.
I ended up having to go to a therapy session to help me deal with the extreme anger I had at society for standing by and doing nothing while these kids sat there dying. Therapy helped a lot, she put everything into perspective, but I know where you're coming from; I was beyond disgusted with humans as a whole.
It's sad, but there are good people out there, try to focus on the good otherwise the bad can suck you into a depression because if you look for it, it'll be there. But if you look for the good, that will also be there.
I'm glad to hear your wife is ok, good reminder to carry a cell phone with her when she walks the dog.

I used to teach first aid for the Federal Govt so I do know a bit about what to do, however, not many folks do.  They have no classes in school that I know of anymore and they are just ignorant about what to do.  I for one will usually try to help if I can.

Here's the problem, we live in a litigiousness society.  You could well get sued for your good Samaritan deeds.  You could also do the wrong thing and cause someone further injury or even death. 

I recall years ago a gasoline tanker had overturned.  The driver was not hurt badly, but was pinned in the cab.  The Highway Patrol was there and everyone was waiting for the fire department to wash away the spilled gasoline.  Then a good Samaritan decided to light a flare to warn oncoming traffic.  The gasoline fumes drifted over the flare setting off the entire truck load.  The driver burned to death.

Sometimes just doing what you think is right is not the thing to do.  If the professionals are there, I stand out of the way.
Life can be bad.

Part of the problem is how litigious our society has become.  Some people are afraid to intervene.  Another problem is that people have lost their humanity.  This may cause turmoil but a little more god would help with the lack of compassion displayed by many.  Better upbringing in people's homes is needed as well.

What you?re describing sounds like a prime example of diffusion of responsibility, a social phenomenon wherein each person assumes someone else in the group will ?do something,? consequently, no one does anything. 

I?m not sure it?s a sign of a decline in our humanity or care for each other as much as maybe a lessening sense of responsibility for each other as our culture becomes more and more individualistic with the increase in technology (of which I confess to being a fan) that gradually erodes the need for person-to-person interaction.

The passerby in the car, was probably too busy recording it to post on social media.  That is what society is coming to.

darsben said:
Their parents are to blame for not raising them correctly.
Of course no one will see themselves in the above statement

This reminds me of a great song called "Push the Panic Button" by John Glenn. Wish I could find a video recording of it, but nope....

darsben said:
Their parents are to blame for not raising them correctly.
Of course no  one will see themselves in the above statement

It is not a new phenomena remember Kitty Genovese.

The Kitty Genovese case is often cited as an example of diffusion of responsibility.  One of the more horrific, tragic and sad examples.  :/

Law suites has caused a lot of [mind your own business] attitude. I took a good fall out in front of my house a few weeks ago. I was pulling weeds out of my late wifes flower beds after we had a good rain for a couple days. The yard is a good 8 ft. higher than the road way, where there are 5 different beds. I ended up tripping on one of the stones near the top and fell all the way down to the ditch. Knocked the wind out of me and hurt my left arm and shoulder. The very first car that came down the road stopped to see if they could help me up.  The guy was a younger fellow too, I was surprised. Pretty sore for a few days but am OK now.

Cooperhawk said:
You could well get sued for your good Samaritan deeds.  You could also do the wrong thing and cause someone further injury or even death. 

Aren't there laws protecting you from being sued?  Even if there aren't laws, I would still take my chances and help someone if they needed it. I could live with myself if I just stood by while there were innocent people trapped in a car and it eventually started on fire and killed everyone.

Rene T said:
Aren't there laws protecting you from being sued?  Even if there aren't laws, I would still take my chances and help someone if they needed it. I could live with myself if I just stood by while there were innocent people trapped in a car and it eventually started on fire and killed everyone.

In a lot of states the "good Samaritan" laws either apply only to trained professionals and in some states only to medical emergencies. Other states are not so harsh

as with most legal actions.......you lose as soon as you have to defend yourself in court.

Rene T said:
Aren't there laws protecting you from being sued?  Even if there aren't laws, I would still take my chances and help someone if they needed it. I could (n't) live with myself if I just stood by while there were innocent people trapped in a car and it eventually started on fire and killed everyone.

Yes. There are so called "Good Samaritan" laws in all 50 states. These laws estop legal action against persons who are NOT medically trained professionals who offer assistance in the event of an emergency.
Some states (such as Minnesota) actually require a person to provide reasonable assistance in a medical emergency to a person in need.

So a person who just stands there while people are suffering in an accident either are heartless or ignorant of the laws that protect them. I certainly hope it's the latter.

I've helped people, both conscious and a number of unconscious and the last thing on my mind is the law. One time I was IN A DR OFFICE WAITING ROOM, an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in ankles, when a patient in the waiting room started seizing, grand mal. I kid you not, nobody knew what to do. I had to instruct people how to help, like moving chairs away while I eased her from her wheel chair to the floor. Another time a girl started seizing in a coffee shop and her college study group was going to pour water in her mouth!!! Lol, I had to step in at that point, they could have literally drown the poor girl.

I?ve been active in first aid since I was 20.
All started as a ski patrol (free skiing was the motivator)
I remember one accident where the lady was face down, head downhill with the toe of her boot pointing to the sky.
She wouldn?t let us touch her, we had to locate her husband and run him up on a skidoo.  He was a doctor.

When he got there, he told her to do what the ski patrol said, they are better equipped and trained to help her in that situation.

Bob T said:
I?ve been active in first aid since I was 20.
All started as a ski patrol (free skiing was the motivator)
I remember one accident where the lady was face down, head downhill with the toe of her boot pointing to the sky.
She wouldn?t let us touch her, we had to locate her husband and run him up on a skidoo.  He was a doctor.

When he got there, he told her to do what the ski patrol said, they are better equipped and trained to help her in that situation.
This is a little off subject, but we LOVE ski patrol, they've assisted my kids many times. One time, I wasn't skiing and I watched as it looked like my baby, then 7, sat near the top of the hill not moving. I waited. 8 minutes later (8 minutes is a LONG time when you think your kod might be hurt) I finally asked ski patrol to check on her because I was getting really worried thinking maybe she was hurt and I could barely see her. They went up and it turned out that she sat down because she had to "go potty" and was waiting for the feeling to pass lol

BinaryBob said:
Yes. There are so called "Good Samaritan" laws in all 50 states. These laws estop legal action against a non-medical professional who offer assistance in the event of an emergency.
Some states (such as Minnesota) actually require a person to provide reasonable assistance in a medical emergency to a person in need.

That's what I thought Bob. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom