What is that sealer Winne uses on the roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading this thread with great interest as I need to redo the seal between the roof and the gutter on our 2004 Itasca Horizon. From what i can gather my best bet is the 3m4000uv. Its kind of a stupid question but for a 40' MH how many tubes do i need to order? 

I spent the morning reading this thread from start to finish. After reading, I climbed on the roof of my 1994 Adventure to see what is was going to take to get the fiber glass roof securely back in the track. I am absolutely flabbergasted at the design Winnebago used to secure this roof. How this roof actually stays on in the first place is beyond my engineering training. After my leaking shield debacle I shouldn't be surprised. In one part of this thread someone mentioned the millions of dollars of R & D they spend. Well, they might better have flushed it. I understand these things have a rather short life span and are not expected to last very long, but if I was an employee of Winnebago, I'd be ashamed to be associated with such a poorly designed and constructed product. The sad part is it would have been cheaper from a manufacturing stand point to do it to last and surely from a public relations stand point. I look at my friends very high end coach which is in the shop for warantee work more than it is being enjoyed and can only think the industry is not progressing. Thanks for letting me rant. Now, I'll put my thing cap on and figure a way to make it better. I thank you all for the tips and discussion. I've gleaned much info and avoided many pitfalls by listening to you all. PS: when I figure it out, I'll send 8x10 color gossy's. :))

Winnebago engineered that roof-sidewall joint for production efficiency and to be functional.  I think early on they realized its limitations and require an owner to inspect the joint every six months.  I completely agree with you, in my opinion the design could be significantly better not requiring an owner burden of 2x a year inspection.  FWIW, there is a new design - not sure what model year it was implemented.

Haven't looked at mine in at least 2 years (my bad). Now that I can climb a ladder again I'll do that tomorrow.

Well the good news is that I have a several million $$ revolving account at the hospital, and I told them if I come back I want a staff badge and a parking space :)

Jeff - thanks for the follow-up report!

Here's the latest Winnebago service tips that talks about sealing the joint. If you are asking about outside water, the water will run down the channel and then out the end,. An inside leak - dunno - probably drips out somewhere on the inside.

We've talked about 4000UV previously, but don't know if we have had any reports from somebody that actually used it on their sidewall joint.
Can you tell me how you are to remove the old sealant? Not sure if there is some magical way to remove it without damaging the paint or roof. I am seeing acetone is being used to clean everything up, is that correct?

WOW, I forgot all about this thread, there's some good info that's accumulated over the years.

I use a window razor scraper for the soft stuff, as much as I can get off, then follow up with a good Acetone cleaning.

People will cringe at this, but when I resealed the flat roof to the curved sides on my 85' Pace-Arrow, I got sick and tired of getting the razor jammed and broken off under the sealant. So I removed it with a sharpened wide blade (~2") pnumatic recoiling floor tile chipper/ remover. You have to be r e a l l y careful doing this but it sure did the job quickly..

Winnebago engineered that roof-sidewall joint for production efficiency and to be functional. FWIW, there is a new design - not sure what model year it was implemented.
Anyone know this change might have taken place? My 2010 still used the aluminum channel to capture the fiberglass sheet and used the sealant/adhesive caulk to keep it there. It's a painful annual maintenance (or more often) item.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom