What is the first thing to do after bringing home a used Rv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodyswagon

Ok folks, I bought a used RV today, I drove it 480 miles home, It ran fine and no problems. The owner says he replaced fuel filters both inline and at the carburator. The old owner bought it with 26000 miles on it and never tuned it up or did anything other than winterize and regular oil changes.? I am ready to work on this RV to get it ready for spring weekends. What would you suggest be done right away to ensure a strong healthy update for the 454 chevy with 41.000miles

Thank you in advance for you help.

Woody

Woodyswagon said:
I am ready to work on this RV to get it ready for spring weekends. What would you suggest be done right away to ensure a strong healthy update for the 454 chevy with 41.000miles

Woody

Having owned a 454 for a few years I would change the plugs and wiring harness. 454s are notorious for cooking the wiring.  Also check and see if you have an inline fuel filter back near the rear well wheel area and if so change it.

Thanks Bob, The old owner did say he replaced those fuel filters but never changed the plugs or wires. I agree to changing the plugs and wires first off.

Does anyone suggest anything else besides the plugs and wires?
What about the distributor? should that be included too?

Thanks

Woodyswagon said:
Ok folks, I bought a used RV today, I drove it 480 miles home, It ran fine and no problems. The owner says he replaced fuel filters both inline and at the carburator. The old owner bought it with 26000 miles on it and never tuned it up or did anything other than winterize and regular oil changes.  I am ready to work on this RV to get it ready for spring weekends. What would you suggest be done right away to ensure a strong healthy update for the 454 chevy with 41.000miles

Thank you in advance for you help.

Woody

Woody,

You didn't say how old the RV was. The first thing I would check is the age of the tires. If they are six plus years old they need to be replaced BEFORE you head out next spring. Exterior appearance of the tires and tread depth don't mean a thing.

Like Don said, we need to know how old it is. If it has electronic ignition, you don't have to do anything to it if it's working, but it wouldn't hurt to inspect the cap and remove any dirt or debris with a solvent like toluene. With the engine at operating temp., check the tranny fluid level and color. If it's anything but a nice red color, have the fluid and filter changed. Change the engine oil and filter regardless. Make sure you test and inspect all appliances; water heater, furnaces, a/c's, fridge, etc. Clean all appliance exhausts and air intakes, check for blue flames in the furnaces and water heater; clean and/or adjust as necessary. Test the smoke alarm, LP alarm, CO alarm. Missing any of those? Add them. Check all plumbing connections for leaks, tightness. I'm sure others will have things to add to the list.
Good luck; I hope you don't find anything wrong! :)

Sorry friends, The MH is a 1990.  The tires are almost new maybe 1 year if that.  The MH has 42000 miles on it.

Thanks

I'd definitely change oil and filter.  And I'd go with Mobile one.  I'm a beleiever in it and have had nothing but great success with it.

John,

Thanks for the good laugh.

See!! You can get your point across with just a few words when you put your mind to it..  lol

lou

John that don't work with me.  Wife doesn't like to eat out and is happest when in the kitchen  Don't believe me?  Ask Smoky or the Admiral.  Now If I bought something to cook with or a new cookbook,  man now that's the way to get her attention.  I told her if she went to Quartsite again this year, she coujld make rools and bisquits for morning  cooffe  I think I finely got her attention.  Girls don't you say anythihng to change her mind  I like it this way LOL So will you once you taste her cooking,  How do you thiknk I got this Fat?  Eating her cooking is the ony answer you need in multipule choice.  LOL  I love it.

Back on topic... ;)

Woodyswagon said:
Sorry friends, The MH is a 1990.  The tires are almost new maybe 1 year if that.  The MH has 42000 miles on it.

I believe everything after 1989 should be fuel-injected, so you've got that working for you.  Good deal on the tires, verify the age by checking out the manufacture codes on the sidewall(s).  Post up a photo of that bad boy!  I'm still living vicariously thru all like yourself who are new owners.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom