What is this part? Where can I get one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

This part, that is plastic, is leaking.  I think it is connected to the black tank flush system.  However, I don't know what it is, how I should ask for, or where to get it.  Any ideas

Attachments

• Piece 2.jpg
    Piece 2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 168
  • Piece 1.jpg
    Piece 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 120
That is the vacuum breaker for your flusher in the black water tank. They are known to have a poor design. Get on line, google it and get the manufactures tel number. They will replace it free of charge. I've had 2 replaced. Made by B & B Molders, LLC

Update: Here's their number: 1-574-259-7838

If mine ever leaks again, I'm going to remove it and replace it with a 90 degree elbow. The inlet for my flusher is higher than the top of the tank so there would be no worries about starting a syphoning action. I also have a hose shut off valve on my inlet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-B-Molders-Vacuum-Breaker-Check-Valve-571-100-125PSI-1-2-Black-RV-CAMPER-BOAT-/232771481571

i think it's an anti-siphon valve. It doesn't look like any I've seen, but the piping  gives a clue. They're used to prevent sucking bad stuff from the blak tank through the flushing pipe.

Rene, what is the function of this part?  Is is necessary?  As I understand it is connected to the blank flush connection, and goes then to the blank tank.  Is what you are stating that you would do with your ok?

I called B&B Molders,  They asked me to contact JR Products but they ask around $80.  I am glad someone on Ebay is asking for much less.

Have you tried the metal ones?  Are they any better?

RVRAC said:
Rene, what is the function of this part?  Is is necessary?  As I understand it is connected to the blank flush connection, and goes then to the blank tank.  Is what you are stating that you would do with your ok?

I called B&B Molders,  They asked me to contact JR Products but they ask around $80.  I am glad someone on Ebay is asking for much less.

It's actually a vacuum breaker. It lets water flow through, one way. If you lose water pressure, It closes off to prevent "back-flow".

The old bath tubs had the faucet down on the side wall of the tub. If the water was running, and say a fire truck hooked up to a hydrant outside they could have sucked water out of the tub into the public water system. That't why now, you'll not see a faucet mounted inside the tub. They have at least a 2" gap (it's code) between the rim and the spout.

RVRAC said:

I can't believe they're asking $80.00. They've sent me 2 over the years for free. I guess they got tired of replacing them.
Here's one on Amazon for $13.00

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-571-Vac-Chk-Flusher-Breaker/dp/B0095TD5S6

Here's a video showing what's going on and gives a replacement valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N2oB2sId1E

Since the manufacturer instructions say they are to be installed where water expelled from them will cause no harm, nearly all are installed at the wrong place.  I eliminated the stupid thing.

For it to be of any value you would need all of the following conditions:

The hose would need to be connected.
The water hydrant would need to be turned on.
The campground water system needs to fail.
The campground water system would need to have a negative pressure.
The campground vacuum breaker would need to fail.
The check valve in your camper inlet would need to fail.
The waste in the tank would need to be above the flusher end.

I'll just live dangerously and take my chances, the advantage of not having a smelly, dripping vacuum breaker next to my silverware and not above the electrical inlet seems to be a better idea.

Rene, this is a good price. This is the link at JR

https://jrproducts.partsvia.com/shop/checkout

Lynnmor, thanks for your explanation.

RVRAC said:
Rene, this is a good price. This is the link at JR

https://jrproducts.partsvia.com/shop/checkout

Lynnmor, thanks for your explanation.

Did you call JR and tell them yours was leaking?

we had that for our black tank flusher and it also leaked. I removed it and have had no issues, my thought was to just put on one of those brass vacuum breakers they use on hose bibbs where the hose attaches to the flusher.  I think those brass vacuum breakers run about 5.00 to 10.00 and are easy to replace if they go bad.

Back
Top Bottom