What is this part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramil

Hello, I'm wondering if anybody could help me identify this part on my 5th wheel. It is in a box in the back of the king pin. The box has some wiring and 3 fuses. This part to the right looks to be a contact or solinoid of some sort but I really dont know. The box was damaged and when I move it this part made contact and arced in the box. The part is pulled away from its housing that is still screwed in the box. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx

Attachments

• 30981.jpeg
    30981.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 30983.jpeg
    30983.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 70
  The top image appears to be a fuse holder with three 7.5 amp fuses,, the bottom is just a mess of wires because it's too close.>>>Dan

The empty rectangular can on the right side and the thing with the wires attached are a dissembled/broken auto resetting circuit breaker.  Remove both parts and get a new one at any auto parts store.

Yup the damaged part is a self resetting circuit breaker

Take the case off and you should find the amprage printed on it. take it to autp parts are us (any auto parts place) and they SHOULD have a rack of replacements, possibly behind the counter. Possible in front.  Very common part.

That box contains the fuses and a circuit breaker for the wiring coming from the tow vehicle through the umbilical cord.

The three fuses are for the trailer's left turn signal/stop light, right turn signal/stoplight and tail lights/running lights.

Like others said, the empty box with the two terminals hanging below it is a self resetting circuit breaker.  It's on the charging line coming from the tow vehicle to the trailer battery.  The sparks came from it being connected to the trailer battery, so de-energize the trailer's 12 volt system while you work on  it.

Unplug the trailer from electricity and the tow vehicle, then remove the wire(s) from the Negative terminal of the trailer battery to de-energize the trailer..

Wow. Thank you all for the info. Just picked up the new breaker $6.99. Good learning experience. I may have waited years before opening that box if it hadn't had an issue. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom