What is your average electric bill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And this material also does a nice job, and you can see inside-out but not outside-in; at night time, for privacy, you do need to close your inside curtains.

http://www.sunpromfg.com/

Attachments

• PICT0002-1.jpg
    PICT0002-1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 20
OLDRACER said:
One of the biggest energy drains in MOTORHOME is windshield. I have alum coated bubble wrap to cover windshield and front side windows, a huge difference.

Does not do much for the view.

Be aware that the heat kept between that material and the windshield could blast to pieces your windshield with that extreme high temperature.
I would not recommend that at all !

I believe the material he's using reflects heat and keeps the heat off the windshield. The windshield will be closer to the inside temp of the rv.

jyro said:
I believe the material he's using reflects heat and keeps the heat off the windshield. The windshield will be closer to the inside temp of the rv.
If it is installed inside, the sun heats the windshield, then hits the aluminium sheeting which throws it back to the inside of the windshield ! That's where the problem is, the windshield is being heated on both sides !
btw, I've never seen that material installed on the outside !

OLDRACER said:
One of the biggest energy drains in MOTORHOME is windshield. I have alum coated bubble wrap to cover windshield and front side windows, a huge difference.

Does not do much for the view.

That's the dilemma indeed... one of the great features of Class A's are the big picture windows (including the windshield).  But they certainly contribute greatly to the greenhouse effect on hot, sunny days.

legrandnormand said:
If it is installed inside, the sun heats the windshield, then hits the aluminium sheeting which throws it back to the inside of the windshield ! That's where the problem is, the windshield is being heated on both sides !
btw, I've never seen that material installed on the outside !

It's probably not impossible, but I've never heard of an RV windshield being blasted to pieces from installing a reflective sun blocker underneath the glass.  Many car owners use them in summer months too.  In fact, almost all mirrored surfaces consist of reflective material facing outward and attached UNDER a pane of glass.  Many are exposed directly to the sun, such as business and skyscraper windows in hot climates.  Without knowing the exact science, it seems that the reflection would bounce back enough light/UV through the glass to keep the surface (or undersurface) from overheating.

Have you seen damage to an RV windshield before, caused by this type of overheating situation?

I'm averaging $110/mo near Navasota, Texas. The MH is under a steel pole barn and there's an additional reefer in the shed. It's been a mighty hot summer.

scottydl said:
That's the dilemma indeed... one of the great features of Class A's are the big picture windows (including the windshield).  But they certainly contribute greatly to the greenhouse effect on hot, sunny days.

It's probably not impossible, but I've never heard of an RV windshield being blasted to pieces from installing a reflective sun blocker underneath the glass.  Many car owners use them in summer months too.  In fact, almost all mirrored surfaces consist of reflective material facing outward and attached UNDER a pane of glass.  Many are exposed directly to the sun, such as business and skyscraper windows in hot climates.  Without knowing the exact science, it seems that the reflection would bounce back enough light/UV through the glass to keep the surface (or undersurface) from overheating.

Have you seen damage to an RV windshield before, caused by this type of overheating situation?

Nope, never seen them damaged but I read about it in some other forum; on my present mh, I have the external "sunpro product" and I'm very satisfied with it and a large + is that I see outside the windshield !

I am getting my second  ever electric bill next week, I hope I don't faint!

5 years ago I paid $180 in Ohio for a month without any air conditioning, I was shocked and sure the owner read my meter wrong. I didn't use AC, I had no TV's or fans or elec hot water. I was living minimally. Matter of fact, I was outside all day long because it was too hot to be inside until the evening.

In this case, a few weeks ago when I showed up to rent here, I took a picture of the meter, to document the reading.

My neighbors packed up to go on a cruise and left their motorhome here, I was joking I would hook up my extension cord and use their electricity while they are gone. Now I wish I had... after reading all these high costs.  ;D

DearMissMermaid said:
I am getting my second  ever electric bill next week, I hope I don't faint!

5 years ago I paid $180 in Ohio for a month without any air conditioning, I was shocked and sure the owner read my meter wrong. I didn't use AC, I had no TV's or fans or elec hot water. I was living minimally. Matter of fact, I was outside all day long because it was too hot to be inside until the evening.

In this case, a few weeks ago when I showed up to rent here, I took a picture of the meter, to document the reading.

My neighbors packed up to go on a cruise and left their motorhome here, I was joking I would hook up my extension cord and use their electricity while they are gone. Now I wish I had... after reading all these high costs.  ;D

welcome to Ohio.  ;D  I am afraid to look anymore as the last time I checked I was paying over 14 cents a kwh.

Rebelsun,
You said being you stay relative short stays and it is included in the site fee but you really are paying for it. I am staying in a State Park in SE PA and it is $6.50 per night extra for electricity sites X 30 nights that equates to $195.00 per month. If you stay in certain sections of the park that allow dogs they charge $2.00 per night whether you have a pet or not adding an additional $60.00 per month.

I?m replying to SeilerBird .....  The statement was about living in a class say only spending $50-$60 a month on electricity. Can you elaborate on that, please? We live in a 34 foot Mirada, class a , Our current electricity usage was 1700 kWh and our bill was nearly $300! We keep the thermostat set at a minimum, air-conditioning wise, inside temperature is about 78. How are you accomplishing this extremely low monthly bill.? Which are like to know your secret if you?re willing to share, ha ha thank you.

Crash122019 said:
I?m replying to SeilerBird .....  The statement was about living in a class say only spending $50-$60 a month on electricity. Can you elaborate on that, please? We live in a 34 foot Mirada, class a , Our current electricity usage was 1700 kWh and our bill was nearly $300! We keep the thermostat set at a minimum, air-conditioning wise, inside temperature is about 78. How are you accomplishing this extremely low monthly bill.? Which are like to know your secret if you?re willing to share, ha ha thank you.

Welcome to the forum.
This is a 4 year old post so I think you may be better off starting a new post to better serve you. There are probably many more new members who could give their opinions. It would save everyone from reading this entire post before getting to your question. You can post it in the section named Shade Tree. Thanks.

have you upgraded to led lights?  The lights cost less but also they produce less heat so they need less cooling.  Think of each incandescent lightbulb as a tiny furnace your A/C has too cool. 

When I was in Hilton Head one vacation, it took me a minute to figure out why the slides on this beautiful Prevost were opening and closing the whole time we were there.  I am suspecting that he was trying to cool less area with less cracks by closing the slides.  I never stopped to ask him but that made sense since our air conditioner never satisfied the thermostat and the talk around the pool was who's A/C had turned off this week.

Maybe try closing slides when you can? 

Two inch walls just dont match a 5/8 inch chipboard, 2X6 with insulation and drywall inside all with caulking to seal any cracks and if newer wrapped and sided!  RV's just cant compare to sticks and bricks there.  Going down the highway they beat them hands down though ;D ;D

Anybody know if you can feed solar into the system to save electric costs without getting inspected and certified but he electric company?  I know a guy that is waiting for the electric company to give the OK to turn his 16KW sticks and bricks solar system on.  He had to get an inspection as well.

The amount of solar KW you could reasonably get on an RV roof seems hardly worth the effort and expense. Maybe save $0.50 per day?  But in any case,  the answer is yes you can.  There are "hybrid" inverters that can use battery and shore power simultaneously, essentially treating shore power as a back-up for the inverter. The solar panels charge batteries and both battery/inverter and shore power supply to the circuits.

https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energy-MSH4024RE-p/msh4024re.htm

No utility approval is needed because the system does not backfeed into the utility network.

Crash122019 said:
It would be helpful to know how many kilowatt hours SeilerBird used, instead of the dollar amount, since electricity prices vary across the country.

I can say that my 40-foot moho uses about 15 kwh/day if there's no climate control.  About half of that is the Norcold four-door refrigerator on electric.  It's a real hog.

If I'm moderately using the air conditioner, it will be more like 30 kwh/day, and if the air is running a lot, like not cycling off during the day, it will obviously be even more.  Your 1700 kwh in a month works out to 51 kwh/day, which is pretty high.  Can you tell if your air conditioners are running all day long?  That could happen if it's hot enough outside. 

Also, it's not unheard of for someone with unusually high electricity use to have inadvertently left the engine block heater on (not sure if your RV has one of those).  If it's 1000 watts, that would be 24 kwh/day, which is about the amount that your usage is over my average usage with moderate air conditioning, which makes me suspicious.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The amount of solar KW you could reasonably get on an RV roof seems hardly worth the effort and expense. Maybe save $0.50 per day? 
You're right.  Our 1,050 watts of solar produces about 4 kwh of electricity on an average good day, if it's running full out (i.e., batteries bulk charging the entire time, or we're using solar to run the electric water heater) in decent conditions.  (It can be higher, but I'm talking average-ish.) 

At 15 cents/kwh, that would be 60 cents/day, or less than $20/month.  I never bother doing it just to save money, but when we're on 15 amp power and I'm using the air conditioner, I might do it to lessen the load on that circuit (use solar for TVs, computers, etc.).

If you have a hybrid inverter, it uses the solar automatically, and that's a benefit.  Personally, I've about had it with fancy, feature-laden appliances and devices, and don't want the complexity of a hybrid inverter deteriorating my quality of life.  So I manually divert the solar to either computers or the water heater if I'm wanting to use the excess solar when it's sunny, and just eat the 60 cents/day if I don't want to bother.

As far as I know, electricity bills vary from one state to another, I'm a resident of AZ so the electric bills here are considered one of the highest so far in the US. I'm guessing that it's close to that of TX. The monthly bills usually cost me $100 and $250 during the summer, I'm not sure how it works for RV's though. Traveling to different states on an RV seems like a good plan to get out of the intense heat in this place.

It would be helpful to know how many kilowatt hours SeilerBird used, instead of the dollar amount, since electricity prices vary across the country.
I have no idea how many Kws I use, let me work it out. My site rent is $535 per month for lot rent and last month my bill was $566. That means that I paid $31 for electricity. That would be 280 kw. at 11 cents per kw. Also included in the bill is water, sewage, trash and lawn maintenance. So I am a happy camper.

I also live in the best site in the park. I have a giant live oak tree that shades the entire site. There are down sides to living under a big tree like that but it is worth it for me. I usually don't turn on the A/C until around 2 pm when it finally reaches 86 degrees indoors. At that point it is 90 outside. Then after two hours the interior reaches 80 and I turn the A/C off. I run fans the rest of the time. It is rare that I run the A/C over two hours per day. I hate the feeling of cold air blowing on me and I hate the feeling of warm air blowing on me. I prefer the air feel neutral to me.

Power to Choose dot Org. I have over 40 electric providers to choose from here the the middle of Po-Dunk. Last month I paid .071 per KWH with a $33 Dollar delivery Charge. This is at our Sticks and Bricks. $100 a month on average. We downsized in 2019 to a 1115 ft brand new house in 2019 and added a 200ft covered porch, and 1000 sq ft of additional concrete & RVPort. It is Perfect for the two of us and the dogs.

Until moving here I thought the norm was One Provider for the city. I was shocked that in San Antonio there was only CPS energy providing electric to the Million Plus Customers. I am beginning to think that CPS Energy = Checkbook to the Adult jobless children of the cities elected officials. Like Judge Nelson Wolf's Kid. That 50 year old kid that ended up naked and drunk at Whataburger drive thru at 12 Midnight a couple years back.

Why would San Antonio only allow 1 electric Company Choice? I will let you come to your own conclusions.

Resurrecting a 6 year old thread. Some Topics of discussion are always relevant. Won't be long and we collectively as a nation will be paying double the prices for electricity for that super Renovation on the Electric Grid. You don't think this transition to electric is going to be cheap, do you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom