What kind of rig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, My husband Jim and I are looking to retire in about 5 years. We live in Boston but have family from Texas to NYC to Ohio and to British Columbia, so are thinking we'd like to travel around for a few years. We are just beginning to think about what kind of rig is best. Love watching youtube and read blogs, such a big help with the decision making.

Everybody will have an opinion on this. Generally, a trailer of some sort is a good choice if you plan to stay in one place for a while--like a couple of week or a month. If you already own a pickup truct with a tow package, it is also the cheapest method. Fifth wheels are easier to pull and have more storage. I have a motorhome because it is easier for one person who keeps on the move. I can be unhooked and on the road in 4 minutes, not counting driving to the dump station and dumping tanks. (It takes me much less time to unhook and head to dump station to dump tanks and then return to campsite than my son, who has to go through a longer hookup and unhook when he gets back. I can be dumped and back before he hooks up!)

I also chose a motorhome because it has more storage for a full-timer like me, and I can stop at a rest area to take a nap, or fix a meal, without going outside--better security. I also don't tow a car, which means I have to drive my motorhome to a grocery store, but that is minor, at least to me. Other people say they could not live without towing a vehicle, but that makes it harder to go through gas stations, etc. while you are driving.

Basically, it all depends on how you plan to use your RV and what style of traveling you do. I have driven 154,000 miles in 9 years on the road.

All depends on the finances. Personally, I would get a slightly used 40' Diesel pusher Class A, and flat tow a car around. A nice place to stay whenever, wherever. And a car at your destination for whatever, wherever. Might struggle getting into some national parks, that's what the car is for. Might want to camp at those places, unless you are a serious preplanner, they are pre-booked much of the season anyway. Might I suggest that in the next couple years, rent one, see what you think, even if it's a week and exploring somewhere in the NE area.

RVs are like Aholes, everybody has an opinion. No one type of RV is perfect. Motor homes are number 1 most expensive to buy, own and operate. Do you need a monster MH? You have to decide. A tent trailer is about the cheapest way to go. Lots of folks really like the freedom a tear drop offers. They can be pulled with almost any car or SUV. Over our 35 years RVing we owned or tried them all. For our lifestyle and budget a fifth wheel was ideal.

One very nice thing about any kind of RV is that you can visit relatives without actually staying with them. (Remember how fish and visitors stink in three days?) I can stay at a nearby state park or park in their driveway for a couple of days, and still have the comfort and privacy of my own rig. Also, I don't feel as if I am bothering anyone that way.

The thing you need to do is decide how you will be using your RV and what you really, really require. I wanted a real bed that had some space around the sides to make making it easier because I have fragile kneecaps and did not want to struggle to make it. I also have a bad back and wanted a dinette I could remove and replace with my comfy recliner. In other words, I had to have someplace to sit in that was very good on my back. And since I was full-timing, I wanted lots of storage, which meant a larger rig.

You may feel more comfortable in a smaller rig that is easier to park, and may feel perfectly comfortable unfolding a bed and making it up every night. In other words, everything is dependent on what you need and how you choose to live.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think if you are full timing you have a few things to consider, off the top of my head, here are some points to consider.

Where you will go, ie cold places or not. Some RVs are better than others for colder areas.

Do you want to do backroad travel at all? If so, would you rather have a truck or a jeep, or indeed a 4x4 which you could have in a toy hauler. You could have a truck camper that allows you to really get off the grid, but will be more limited in size.

Do you prefer having a decent amount of space? If you do, then you may like slide outs which give you more. A fifth wheel tends to be roomy and has higher ceilings with different options of what is in the higher area, some are bedrooms some the living room.

How do you occupy yourselves in bad weather? If you have a smaller rig this might be a problem.

When you are together 24/7, sometimes you want a bit of time on your own. As we have a separate bedroom, one can be in there and the other in the living space when outdoors isn't an option.

Are you likely to have others staying with you? If so, how often? We had 2 relatives staying for just under a fortnight and we managed ok. They slept on the couch bed which was made up every night.

We were in an RV Park which meant they could use the shower block and the laundry was handy. We had a couple of cooler nights so had to stay indoors.

It was also quite humid so we could have improved our situation if we had had a dehumidifier as it felt damp a few times. My point is that the bigger the space the ore comfortable it can be, particularly if its not just you. That said many folks like being closer together.

How much storage space will you need? Some RVs have very little and others a huge amount.

Are you happy with an overhead bed that you need to climb into?

Do you want an outdoor kitchen?

Having a trailer or fifth wheel means you only have one engine to maintain and the truck can be taken almost anywhere if there is a problem.

A motorhome means one of you can potentially potter about whilst the other is driving, making food, visiting the loo etc. I'm not sure how safe this actually is but many seem to do it.

Do you have to have a washer / dryer or are you happy to use a laundry?

Consider the best floor plan layout for you. Look at these online then go see some in person to get a real feel for it.

It's a lot to think about but worth taking time to get the right thing for you.

We had the truck. The TT is a good fit for us. We are getting some decent use for weekends and a few longer trips. Our first trip after a shake down weekend was 5000 mile round trip Maine to South Dakota and back. I like the fact we have the truck to get around if needed. We have a cap on the truck that adds storage and protection for items in the back. We think we are set up for more travel in this unit in our retirement in about 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom