What makes a reel good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX

I have quite a few decent reels now.  The wife doesn't know what I paid, or I would probably be single. 
Anyway, during last weeks trip I used several pole/reels throughout the day.  I have Fenwick poles with several different reels.  My prized reel is a shiny Shimano Calcutta 700 which cost me about $260.  I was also using a Fenwick pole with a Shimano Tekota 600 reel which was in the $100 range.  I noticed a huge difference between the two reels.  When reeling in the Calcutta with a 5 oz. weight, I could feel resistance.  When reeling in the much cheaper Tekota, it felt as though the line had broke and I was just reeling in line.  Little to no resistance.  I had my buddy verify this and he was also amazed.  I am looking for a new reel and was wondering what makes a reel good.  Anyone have positive/negative experience with either of these two reels.  And lastly, while watching the fishing shows on tv, I hear over and over again about the high quality of the Ambassadeur reels.  My fishing buddy has one of these he just bought at Wal-Mart for about $60.  I have always heard you get what you pay for, but is that true with fishing gear?

FX said:
I have always heard you get what you pay for, but is that true with fishing gear?

In a word, yes. I've caught fish on a spectrum of tackle, from cheap to expensive (or as expensive as I'm prepared to go), from good to bad. I even commented to a friend that I was fishing that day with a $200 Shimano Curado Bantam reel on a $9.95 no-name rod bought at KMart. But there's no doubt in my mind that you can quickly tell the difference, whether it's the action of a fly rod, the controlled casting of a Shimano, or the cheap bait casting rod that doesn't cast very well or breaks in two just when it shouldn't.

If Chris can't find me in a store, she just looks over the top of the shelves and, when she sees fly rod actions being checked out, she knows where I am.

My first fishing rod was a bamboo pole that my Dad screwed metal eyes into. My first reel was made by my Dad from a large cotton reel with a screw for a handle and a metal L-piece from a "Mechano" errector kit as the bracket. I had as much fun with that setup as I've had with any tackle since.

Ambassador used to have a good name in reels, but they've been off my radar screen for over 20 years, so I can't reely (really) comment.

If your catching fish it's gotta be a good reel and pole.  Now if a fisherman isn't catching fish then its also gotta be the real, pole or both. ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom