What not to do to any vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi, last week in our sleepy little community we had an motorhome catch fire on the roadway. It was a total loss and they lost everything they owned. Some people are trying to help them out.

Today i found out what caused the fire. It seems that there was no fuel in the vehicle so they decided to rig it in order to get it down to the gas station. They used a plastic milk carton with fuel in it and hooked it directly into the fuel line and suspended it in the engine compartment. Well no surprise it ignited and burned the whole thing to the ground. What a horribly BAD idea.

Sorry the video and images dont have that much content, i was busy doing other things just wanted to be sure nobody was left in the vehicle.

i also have a video but this wont let me upload a video.

Attachments

• 1114211105 (Small).jpg
    1114211105 (Small).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1114211105a (Small).jpg
    1114211105a (Small).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1114211105b (Small).jpg
    1114211105b (Small).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 35
Well I hate to have to admit this but a buddy and I did something like that to a 57(?) Chevy sometime in the late 1960's. Cam lobe for the fuel pump was bad. We used some sort of plastic-like 4/5 gallon jug. Memory has long forgotten on how we rigged it up on the hood, visual fuel gauge. Sorta a poor man invention of the Shell Mileage Test.

"The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is that Genius Has Its Limits"
-Said to be from Albert Einstein (but probably not).

-Don- ABQ, NM

Its really short.. Yes i was probably really thinking "now its on sale"

Whats strange is that the loudest bangs were from the tires exploding. There were pops when the ammo went off, no one got shot. But the propane tanks never blew up, if they did it was silent.

Sad news. Thankful no one was hurt. Hopefully the community helps out and gets them back on their feet. Not everyone is as blessed as most of us are.

Its really short.. Yes i was probably really thinking "now its on sale"

Whats strange is that the loudest bangs were from the tires exploding. There were pops when the ammo went off, no one got shot. But the propane tanks never blew up, if they did it was silent.
Propane tanks don't explode - the pressure relief valve opens and the exiting
gas becomes a blowtorch - "whoosh" not bang. The only time a tank will explode is in a fire much larger than this one, where the release valve can't vent enough propane.

There were pops when the ammo went off, no one got shot. But the propane tanks never blew up, if they did it was silent.
Ammo cooking off is relatively harmless, as long as it's not chambered. Exploding LP tanks make lots of noise! I've been near a few, and it's pretty exciting.

It was dumb but beyond that, it is even sadder. I hope they were not full-timers. Why not just pour 2 gallons in the gas tank? This sounds like some act of desperation that only made them more desperate.

Ammo cooking off is relatively harmless, as long as it's not chambered. Exploding LP tanks make lots of noise! I've been near a few, and it's pretty exciting.
Read this and casually wondered what a bucket of 1500 .22LR shells would sound like? Maybe like one of those rolls of 500 Black Cat firecrackers we used to get as kids.
Also wondered about the 7 rounds in the magazine of my .45. Not quite chambered, but confined.

I had a box of 50 22LR on top of the refrigerator in my house. My wife or kids knocked them off into the trash can, presumably by accident :)
I had about 3 seconds of puzzlement while standing next to the burn barrel that week. Then I thought it would be a good idea to get away from whatever it was. It took a little while to figure it out. I am more careful about where I keep ammo now.

Growing up in the old country, in the seventies, some bus drivers used to do this when running out of gas...They usually didn't bother to get the passengers off! My mom and I witness one such instance. She grabbed my hand and walked out of the bus, even though it was late and the next bus would take a while to arrive.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom