What should I avoid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilcountry

I am looking to buy my first fifth wheel. I want a used one in the 25' to 28' range. I expect to have it a few years, and expect it will be a learning experience to help me decide what I want in a trailer when I retire and do a lot more traveling. I cannot afford much now, but I don't want to buy junk. Are there any brands that I should absolutely avoid? What brands are known for good quality at a good price? I don't want to waste time looking at trailers that are not well made, and I certainly don't want to waste money buying one. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I always bypass anything made by Coachmen. Not impressed with the quality.

Many of the manufacturers have entry level models that are not well made and use cheap materials, while their better models are fine. A used upper end model might be a better bet than a new but cheap one.

A brand that always has impressed me with low quality is the Dutchman. I've seen several pop-top tent campes and two 5 w's. All had major quality problems on one owner up in Madrid NM sold her's and quit RVing. I tried to tell her that RVing can be a lot of fun with a good to excelent quality unit!  ;D

I have to side with Gary in that a lot of the manufacturers have entry models which tend to be cheaper in quality. 
A perfect example is Fleetwood.  They make one model (I will not mention the brand so no one gets offended) which is about as cheap as they come.  The price is a direct reflection on that too.  However, Fleetwood also has a new line up called Pegasus and Orbits.  They seem to be of higher quality and offer some nice things like roller bearing slide rails for the drawers, heated holding tanks, outside stereos (as well as inside of course), ducted venting for ac...and I'm not promoting Orbit's because I have one either :)
I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.  So in other words, if you buy a new 27' trailer for $13,000, expect some problems.

My wife and I are preparing to buy a KZ toyhauler. They seem to be a good buy for the money but to illustrate what RVroamer was saying, KZ has introduced a new line of less costly, entry level units and they tout the fact that they are made by the same technicians who assemble much more expensive trailers. When you look at the brochure you find that the "upper" models are covered by a 2 year, front to rear warranty but the entry level units are covered by a one year warranty. I agree with previous posters. 1st unit, buy used. You'll be surprised at what you'll determine to put in your next unit, that you aren't even aware of now.
Q

I rarely buy extended warranties but I did with my new trlr.  I plan on having it for a long time.  FYI, if you do decide on the extended warranty, ask them if they will waive the deductible if you take it to them (and not another dealer) for repairs.  I think my ded. was $50 or $100 and they waived it. 

Thanks for the responses. I do plan to buy a used one the first time. I figure I will get experience in it to know what I want in the next one.

As many have mentioned you get what you pay for. An illustration of that is a cabinet maker in Decatur, IN. The company he owns is called From Trees to These. He also started another company(purely fictitious) for those who complain about the cost. The name is From Sap to Crap. He even had business cards printed. ;D The point goes back to sentence one. :)

Getting back to a more positive outlook, here are some brands & models that I would RECOMMEND:  Sunnybrook,  Jayco Designer & Legacy,  Holiday Rambler and HR Presidential, Alpenlite, most Carriage & Carri-lite models,  Artic Fox & Nash.  Most of the Forest River & Cardinal models I have seen appear to be decent too, but I'm not sure about their entire model line-ups.  Sunnybrook may be the best bet overall - they get positive reviews from most everyone.

Add Sunline to your list of a quality unit.? SunnyBrook is also very good.? Had that last time.? I hear they are coming out with a new cheaper model.? As said before, don't discount a make until you see all the models they produce.? Economy through Luxury.

Thanks for the input. I found my trailer today. It is a 1995 30' Hitchiker II, mid kitchen, super slide. It looks to have been well cared for, and the Hitchhikers I have seen have impressed me with quality. I really appreciate all the information on this site. Although I have not posted much, I have been able to answer a lot of my questions by searching the forum. Thanks for all your help.

Glad you found a suitable rig. Hitchiker's have been a favorite among fulltimers for many years and sounds like a ood choice to me.

We hope you will stay in touch and post some comments on your Rving experiences and the Hitchiker.

Please don't make the same mistake my husband and I made 18 months ago.  We purchased an entry level 29 ft 5th wheel and are already looking to trade it in.  Quality and workmanship is poor and there is not nearly enough room for 2 adults and a child on a weeks vacation like we thought. 

Matter of fact if there is anyone out there that can give me some advise I would greatly appreciate it.
We are looking to stay under $70,000.00, have a bunkroom or a room I can close off for my son, and a kitchen that is workable.  I cannot find a plan with any kitchen space and a bunkroom. 

Thanks

sunshinechaser - how about something like a Forrest River Sierra 375QBQ

We were looking at one that has a nice bunkhouse and the kitchen should be servicable although less counter space than might be ideal.  List is around $47K in NC so you can get it for under $40K new.

One is for sale Here with some photos if you want to get a general idea.

How about that toyhauler made by Glendale RV its the Titanium Model 36E41MPRV the rear room is multi purpose, with bunks available.  Google it. Or their  Model 36E41 it has a rear bunk setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom