What transmission is in a 1989 Fleetwood Southwind with the 460L V8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a Ford F53 chassis and uses the E4OD, which is the Ford C6 tranny + an Overdrive gear, making it a 4 speed auto.  1989 was the first year for the E4OD, so its conceivable this coach was built on a 1988 chassis and has a 3-speed C6.

I had a 1989 Class C with one of the early E4OD transmissions.  It had the Overdrive Lockout button on the dash, eventually they moved it to the end of the shifter stalk.

If you have the three speed C6 transmission, you should also have a carbureted engine.  The E4OD and fuel injection were introduced at the same time.

Can the transmission filter/gasket be purchased at my local auto parts store? What is the part number? Where can I get the torque specs and order?

Sure.  If the parts store can't look up an F53 chassis, have them look for an F350/F450 chassis.  It's the same transmission.

The Ford E4OD transmission uses Mercon fluid.  Mercon V is the current generation.  Don't use Mercon LV, it's not backwards compatible with the older transmissions.

Likewise, the Dexron transmission fluid is for GM transmissions and is not compatible with the E4OD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom