What type of Lock and cable do most people use to lock up their Generators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geezerandwife

With all of the talk on Generator theft, I was wondering what type of cable/lock/security system people are using to secure their Generators at night. Unfortunately, we need the generator to operate my CPAP overnight. We are embarking on some boondocking in the near future. We have a Predator inverter generator. it is a 100lb generator so maybe it isn't on the high theft list...

The bigger the better - i like these
I have a webber bbq at home that was expensive when i bought it so i use this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-135812_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-135812_Chrome.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 11
We carry a couple of vinyl coated cables intended for dog runs, along with a couple of padlocks. We can lock up the gas grill, kayaks or whatever. A determined thief can cut the cable, but someone just passing by won’t be able to walk off with stuff.

With all of the talk on Generator theft, I was wondering what type of cable/lock/security system people are using to secure their Generators at night. Unfortunately, we need the generator to operate my CPAP overnight. We are embarking on some boondocking in the near future. We have a Predator inverter generator. it is a 100lb generator so maybe it isn't on the high theft list
Geezer and Wife, welcome to the RV Forum.

This is a timely topic for my DH (Dear Husband) and I since we hope to do more boondocking in the near future and will pick up our two new generators next week.

There are many Bicycle locks.. Get a good one.. Some are aircraft cable, Sweged collers on each end with loops and a padlock those are nice.

You can (if needed) Loop the cable through the frame, then loop one end of the cable through the loop on the other end, and padlock to most anything for greater cable to attach point length.

And parked you just chain a Rottweiler to it. (Stuffed toy works as long as it's a Rott with motion detector eyes and a digital recording... (Ok that's a joke))

We used to use a heavy chain that was treated to be hard to cut. We would sometimes use two connecting the portable satellite antenna and the generator together. To get either you would have to cut through both chains. Those chains were heavy! We wrapped them around the bumper or through a wheel.

I have my generators in the pickup bed up against the cab when traveling. I have a chain through the handles and locked to the loops in the truck bed. The only place we are planning to need them this year is Q & Kofa. I am hoping for friendly safe environment. When we are unhooked, the generators stay chained in the truck and the tonneau cover is closed.

I built my own. 25 feet of 3/8 steel cable and a master lock. I made it long on purpose so I could chain it to a tree or truck bumper what ever worked best at the time

IMG_20191024_114514079_HDR.jpgIMG_20191024_114634773_HDR.jpgIMG_20191024_114653297_HDR.jpgIMG_20191024_114401337_HDR.jpg

Wife made the vinyl cover and the chains under, trough the rack. Mounted in the left corner a 25ft 30 amp cord will reach the 5W power connection so we do not have to unload it to use. Yes a bolt cutter would defeat this but most thefts are of opportunity, a thief wants it he will get it no matter what you do.

I use a big and very heavy chain with a pricey heavy duty lock. The chain and lock would require a really big bolt cutter to cut them. And, it would still take a lot of effort. I suspect most thieves would take one look at my setup and not even waste their time.

no preventive measure will prevent a determined burglar from stealing.
While that is true, the thief who comes with that sort of tools is probably going to take more than just a generator. I just used a quality bicycle lock as locks only stop the armatures and we never lost one in many years of camping in remote areas.

Not a Harbor Freight tool fan but they sell some excellent cables that are 7' long and are perfect. I use cables because bolt cutters don't work well on them. Also use the circular combo locks as they are hard for bolt cutters to get a bite. Chains are easy for bolt cutters.
RichH

I doubt someone will use an angle grinder as the noise is problematic.

However anyone "purposefully" stealing generators is gonna have bolt cutters no practical wire or chain will slow down.

My wire tie down is just big enough so that someone actually has to buy bolt cutters big enough to cut it or the padlock attached to it.

We have also reached an age where people ignore car alarms and crime around them. There was some gal who was raped on a subway train while carriage mates ignored the situation with their faces buried in the NY Times.

We often boondock with our Honda 2000i. For security I have a cable & lock with a single wire completely taped and hidden along side the cable. After locking the cable to the MH, the wire ends are connected to a hidden simple circuit and switched on. If some low life tries to cut the cable/wire, a very loud siren will sound from the MH. (Amazon for the siren).
A simple guide for most any DIY can be found and modified to fit the exact needs of your camper. www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6yQeWy5Ms

Not perfect but I feel better about having the extra step.

IMG_3780.jpg
I have my Generator covered and locked when traveling.
Cover is removed and Generator is fired up as needed then covered and locked again.

While that is true, the thief who comes with that sort of tools is probably going to take more than just a generator. I just used a quality bicycle lock as locks only stop the armatures and we never lost one in many years of camping in remote areas.
generator most times = boondocking. That jeep guys or ATV guy drives by and see your empty camp as your out hiking. A moment of opportunity, totally unplanned but it would be nice to have a gen while out 4 wheeling to run a compressor to air tires we aired down for the sand.

I ATV and have a small bolt cutter in my bags along with bailing wire, find an old fence I want through we go, cut and repair. Buddy I hunted with years left his TT in the woods unlocked most of the year, nothing inside worth the cost of breaking a window or prying a door.

I did 25 years LE and have arrested true burglars that carried "burglary kits" and the state actually had a law about possession of burglary tools:

RCW 9A.52.060

Making or having burglar tools.​

(1) Every person who shall make or mend or cause to be made or mended, or have in his or her possession, any engine, machine, tool, false key, pick lock, bit, nippers, or implement adapted, designed, or commonly used for the commission of burglary under circumstances evincing an intent to use or employ, or allow the same to be used or employed in the commission of a burglary, or knowing that the same is intended to be so used, shall be guilty of making or having burglar tools.
(2) Making or having burglar tools is a gross misdemeanor.

Back
Top Bottom