What would you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

My LP tank is developing rust on the bottom area. One of the spots is about 6 inches. I have heard that I need to be cautious about what to use. What would you use? What should I be concerned about? Thanks for your help.

I lightly sanded our tank to remove the surface rust and then sprayed with a rust converter spray. Once the spray was dry I coated the entire bottom of the tank with a spray on rubberized undercoating. Three years so far with no signs of any rust or other damage.

Good reminder....this is a project I want to tackle before too long.

Mine is in a path of debris/spray/flying rocks behind the right dual. Most of the paint is gone on the lower half, it's rusting, and there's some heavy pitting too.

I'd feel most comfortable with just replacing it (and probably rhino-lining the bottom half before installing it).

Anyone replaced (or removed) one before? I'd assume standard gas plumbing connections but haven't looked at it in detail...

If deeply pitted, I'd replace it. Otherwise, though, just sand off surface rust and paint with any suitable paint rated for metal surfaces. Use a rust converter product after sanding if the rusting is severe.

I typically use Krylon or Rustoleum spray paint on my LP bottles.

Last edited:
I'd use something simple like rustoleum spray can paint.

I'd be cautious about applying any "coatings" - if the tank ever needs an inspection the coating could inhibit an inspection.

If this is on your 2017 Leprechaun listed in your signature, I suspect it is just a little surface rust. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi friends,
I thought it would be better if you can see a couple photos as you make recommendations on what to do. Yes, it is 2017 but in my opinion it doesn't look good. This is why I am seeking recommendations.

Attachments

• Tank photo.jpeg
    Tank photo.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 22
I agree those things are fairly thick, from the photo that does not look too bad, wire brush and some white enamel appliance spray paint

Probably a bad prep job originally. It looks more like flaking than wear from road grime.

Do a good prep on it and see how it wears and or flakes before you worry to much.

You can shoot a propane tank with a 9 mm and it won't penetrate so they are pretty thick. (Don't try this at home kids)

Even though your RV is a 2017 the original tanks could have been switched out with older ones. They are refillable up to 12 years old. After that they need to be recertified. If they are old that might make replacing them with new a more logical choice.

Attachments

• propane_grill_cylinder_in-date_info-300x300.jpg
    propane_grill_cylinder_in-date_info-300x300.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 5
The picture shows a thicker motorhome mounted ASME lifetime rated tank, not a portable DOT rated tank which has 12 year recertifcations requirements

Eastwood.com sells spray can rust encapsulator and spray can undercoating that I use for all my car restorations. The first neutralizes the rust while the second provides a very tough coating to help combat the rocks and such of the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom