Whats going on with the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Im wondering why the roof is wavy, I know the camper is an 88 so maybe its just age. I have been thru this camper now entirely and there isnt a spot of water damage that I can find anywhere so I do not believe the roof is leaking.

What material is this? Is it safe to walk on ( dont seem like it )

Im thinking it would be a good idea to do some maintenance to it, what can you suggest?

https://postimg.cc/dkVsFv7R

https://postimg.cc/bDVzNMb7

https://postimg.cc/q6tptLxz

WOW. That hasn't been cleaned for a long time. Much of that looks like mold and is easily removed using a strong mixture of bleach and some dawn liquid detergent and a good stiff brush with a long handle.
As far as walking on the roof, get on it and locate the roof rafters. You may have to walk on them if there is no plywood underneath the aluminum. You could cut a couple of 3' X 3' sheets of 1/2" plywood and move them ahead of you as you move.
Stay away from any of the plastic things like the roof vents and the AC cover. They look pretty brittle and will break easily. Clean around them while on your hands and knees with a hand brush using the same soap solution.

Rene T said:
WOW. That hasn't been cleaned for a long time. Much of that looks like mold and is easily removed using a strong mixture of bleach and some dawn liquid detergent and a good stiff brush with a long handle.
As far as walking on the roof, get on it and locate the roof rafters. You may have to walk on them if there is no plywood underneath the aluminum. You could cut a couple of 3' X 3' sheets of 1/2" plywood and move them ahead of you as you move.
Stay away from any of the plastic things like the roof vents and the AC cover. They look pretty brittle and will break easily. Clean around them while on your hands and knees with a hand brush using the same soap solution.

Ok so its aluminum then, I think Im gonna be real careful, clean it and seal it with something

That's a metal roof, usually galvanized or tinned rather than aluminum in a trailer of that vintage. Typically those cannot be walked on directly, but there are slim cross members supporting it and you can place a piece of plywood across them to distribute your weight onto the cross members.  There may be a very thin wood substrate under the metal, but I wouldn't count on it.  Do as much roof work as you can from a ladder, but you are going to have to get up there to inspect and touch-up the caulk (sealant) at seams and around all those protuberances.

Clean first with a strong detergent and bleach plus a bristle brush.  That should get most of the mold and dirt off. Otherwise, it looks to be in excellent condition.

Im not gonna walk on it at all, thanks, what do you think is on it now under that mold, I will want to re-seal it I guess and I maybe I should be concerned with compatibility?

Im gonna soon get serious about doing something with my roof, can someone give me a formula for a proper mix to first clean it and then secondly I need to know what I should seal it with?

I have no idea what is on there now as a sealant.

Ill get it done, I just need to know what ratio of what to what to act as a cleaner and again what to lay back down on it once it is cleaned and dried. Thanks

I would just use regular dish soap or car soap and warm water, let it sit, use a soft/med brush / broom.  Most will come off, I'd guess a lot off oxidized paint might come off too. I would scrub extra good around seals, because you will want to reseal everywhere there is caulking up there now.  Many will recommend a sealant called Dicor, I personally would use Geocel ProFlex RV, available online at Amazon  ;)

Good, old Spic-n-Span. Directions on the bottle. Use the strong mix. Keep the sides of the trailer rinsed down no matter what you wash the roof with.

SpencerPJ said:
I would just use regular dish soap or car soap and warm water, let it sit, use a soft/med brush / broom.  Most will come off, I'd guess a lot off oxidized paint might come off too. I would scrub extra good around seals, because you will want to reseal everywhere there is caulking up there now.  Many will recommend a sealant called Dicor, I personally would use Geocel ProFlex RV, available online at Amazon  ;)
can these products be directly used over with existing up there without adhesion problems

I don't think there's any chance that I can get on top of that roof kneeling even with a piece of wood I don't know if any of you guys have ever owned a small camper like this but I just feel certain that I would fall through I just don't think the roof is made for 220 lb of weight

1930 said:
can these products be directly used over with existing up there without adhesion problems
Yes they can, as long as someone didn't use silicon before.  The Geocel Proflex is some good stuff. RV shops sell it too.  (and I wouldn't get up on the roof either, maybe lay and stretch a bit to a hard to caulk spot)

SpencerPJ said:
Yes they can, as long as someone didn't use silicon before.  The Geocel Proflex is some good stuff. RV shops sell it too.  (and I wouldn't get up on the roof either, maybe lay and stretch a bit to a hard to caulk spot)

Can you give me a link maybe to what you use, I type Geocel Proflex and Im seeing a calk?

Im sure I havent done this before so I am a bit lost, I dont have any leaks that I am aware of and so I was thinking that I would clean the roof, let it dry and then roll on something that would re-seal the roof just as preventative maintenance.

Maybe I would need to brush the same material around the vents ect just cause the roller wouldnt do a well enough job.

Again Im guessing that any type of roof sealer would be rolled on.

What am I not understanding?

Just surfing you tube looking for answers and I find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQBKL7Z_dQ

Right away though he mentions epdm roof, I google epdm roof and Im not sure that is what I have?

Im lost on all of this unfortunately

EPDM is a fabric roofing material. You have a metal roof, usually galvanized or aluminum. After a thorough cleaning, if the metal is in good condition with no pitting, then no coating is needed. Just check the caulking for any loose spots, cutting them away if found before recaulking with Dicor or ProFlex. If the folded seams on the roof are not already caulked, run a bead along the folded edge as a preventative measure.

NY_Dutch said:
EPDM is a fabric roofing material. You have a metal roof, usually galvanized or aluminum. After a thorough cleaning, if the metal is in good condition with no pitting, then no coating is needed. Just check the caulking for any loose spots, cutting them away if found before recaulking with Dicor or ProFlex. If the folded seams on the roof are not already caulked, run a bead along the folded edge as a preventative measure.

I did not know this, thanks, Im gonna get a closer look at it today

X2 what Dutch said  :))

If the galvanized roof seems pitted up, I'd use a mobile home roof coating.  I highly doubt you need to.  If you want to paint for good looks, they sell paint for aluminum siding at Box Stores.

The technical distinction between a caulk and a sealant is strictly for materials engineers to debate. From the perspective of an RV owner, the terms are used interchangeably.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/28128-Geocel-Roof-Sealant-Use-To-Create-Watertight-Seal-On-RV-Roofs_p_8268.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom