What's the average??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mookiebones

I was just curious what the average stay at a campground is? 

How many miles do you generally drive to get to the next camp ground? 

How often do you meet up with people from this forum? 

I am just curious...

-Adrienne

Hello there,

I saw your posting and being a fulltimer (relatively new admittedly) I thought I would give you a few pointers on your campground selection.  My average stay at a campground is at minimum a month.  The monthly rate is really the only way to go.  It really depends on your situation.  If you are just driving through and looking for a place to spend the night, you should be able to survive on battery power and LP gas.  Find a Wal-Mart or K-Mart for these "I need to sleep" stops and power through to your final destination.  The Mileage question is a quality one.  It really depends on where your "final" destination for the trip is.  Make sure you have plenty of fuel (never go below a 1/4 tank) and enough water to survive.  I typically dump my water before I start a trip.  To conserve your LP gas, be sure to freeze several 2 litre soda bottles and store them in your fridge.  The insulation allows you to keep your perishables cold without using battery or lp gas and as it thaws the water is perfectly drinkable.  Just be sure to check fairly often.

Eric

We are "half-timers" - spend about 6 months/year living in the RV. An average wouldn't be really meaningful for our type of use.  We often workamp during the summer, so stay at one place for 3-4 months while "on the job".  When  not working, we are either traveling (overnight stays) or visiting friends or sight-seeing (both typically 2-5 day stays).

We host a rally for RV Forum members every spring & fall in the Southeastern US and anywhere from 5-15 rigs join us.  We also meet up with other forum members several times a year - something we here have come to call "mini-rallies".  And usually at least a few forum members drop in and spend a day or two at or Florida home base during the winter.

Our typical daily travel is 250 miles but once in awhile we do 300 if the road is boring and we want to get somewhere. We start late and stop early and take regular breaks, lunch stops, etc.  A leisurely mode of travel.

I was just curious what the average stay at a campground is? 

That is a bit like how long is a piece of string.  I generally do about a week or so at destinations.  However, I can do one overnight after the other enroute.  I am a vacation user tho.  I suspect full timers and snow birds do a lot longer

How many miles do you generally drive to get to the next camp ground? 

200-300 miles.  Tho if I am going thru a major urban area, I might time my trips to avoid rush hours.  I do not like beating myself to death to enjoy myself.  I did enough of that in my salad days mountaineering.

Well, hate "campgrounds," and the longest I can remember is about 3 weeks. Have stabilized trips between stops to no more than 4 hours. Never met anyone from this forum...they run before I can catch them ;)

We travel about 9-10 months of the year and 4 months of that is spent in south Texas at one place. The rest of our "travel" time is usually 2 to 5 days at one place
and we try to limit our travel days to 4 hours or 200 miles which ever comes first. It we trave two days in a row we usually like to lay over a day.

Dave

This summer we drove 10,000 miles staying at 50 locations over 123 nites. That's an average of about 2 1/2 days per location and 200 miles between locations. The stops and mileages are somewhat skewed since at the end we made a run for home straight across the US on I-40 averaging over 300 miles daily, tho still driving about the same number of hours. Our normal pattern of return would have taken us longer with more stops closer together.

There are a number of ways that we have met Forumites on the road. Since many Forumites post their itineraries on the Forum, it is easy to match up if convenient. Two were traveling west from FL to AZ and we were going in the opposite direction, so we met for lunch in Deming, NM. Another couple was touring Alaska clockwise while we were doing it counterclockwise, so we met and spent some time together in Valdez. We know where a lot of Forumites live so, when possible, we'll plan our route to stop by. Many of us belong to FMCA and see each other at Area rallies and national conventions.  And there is always blind luck. We were in one campground this summer when another Forumite pulled in and recognized our coach. Many of us have become aquainted with one another at Forum Rallies and mini-rallies, which lead to good friendships and the desire to meet up with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom