What's the condition of I-95 in SC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
In about 5 weeks, we'll be making our annual trek to FL from NH. My question is what's the condition of I-95 south bound from the NC/SC border down to the GA/SC border?  The last time (3 years ago) the road was terrible and I blew a tire because of it. THUMP, THUMP and THUMP for nearly the entire distance. I know it looked like they were making some repairs but I'm now wondering if it's been repaired all the way to Georgia.  I've avoided that road because of it.

Rene T said:
In about 5 weeks, we'll be making our annual trek to FL from NH. My question is what's the condition of I-95 south bound from the NC/SC border down to the GA/SC border? 

Hey Rene, watch your mirror for a Montana. Will be on the same stretch roughly Oct 6

We only come up I95 as far as the I26 turn-off, but can't say that we've noticed it being unusually bumpy.  It may be that the spacing of the concrete expansion strips resonates with your particular rigs wheelbases. I recall one truck/trailer rig we had that was almost unbearable when traveling a stretch of I86 in southern NY, yet no worse than any other when in a subsequent motorhome.

We will be traveling south from I26 on I95 ourselves in about 6 weeks, so will have a chance to find out.

Back2PA said:
Hey Rene, watch your mirror for a Montana. Will be on the same stretch roughly Oct 6

I think we'll be in that area around the 5th but I'll still keep an eye out.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We only come up I95 as far as the I26 turn-off, but can't say that we've noticed it being unusually bumpy.  It may be that the spacing of the concrete expansion strips resonates with your particular rigs wheelbases. I recall one truck/trailer rig we had that was almost unbearable when traveling a stretch of I86 in southern NY, yet no worse than any other when in a subsequent motorhome.

We will be traveling south from I26 on I95 ourselves in about 6 weeks, so will have a chance to find out.

We will also be taking 26 and 77 from 81 unless they've repaired 95.  We use to take 64 from 81 and jump back on 95 just south of Richmond. We liked that way but stopped after getting the blowout.  I remember that section of road in SC was littered with tire rubber with other people getting blowouts.

Rene, I think  Gary may be right about it being your wheelbase. We have been running 95 twice a yr ( trip in Nov again in Feb).
  I don't think  SC portion is any worse than other states. We have been running it once a yr for the 5 previos yrs.

Robert K said:
Rene, I think  Gary may be right about it being your wheelbase. We have been running 95 twice a yr ( trip in Nov again in Feb).
  I don't think  SC portion is any worse than other states. We have been running it once a yr for the 5 previos yrs.

You could be right but it's only in SC that I have an issue and then there's the issue about seeing much tire remnants on the sides of the road. I'm not the only one getting blowouts. I didn't see that on any roads in other states between NH and FL.

Rene T said:
We will also be taking 26 and 77 from 81 unless they've repaired 95.  We use to take 64 from 81 and jump back on 95 just south of Richmond. We liked that way but stopped after getting the blowout.  I remember that section of road in SC was littered with tire rubber with other people getting blowouts.
I-95 from Richmond to DC is a nice road, but I would avoid it because the traffic is unpredictable. At any hour it could be clear sailing or the 90 minute trip could be 3 hours.

Dragginourbedaround said:
I-95 from Richmond to DC is a nice road, but I would avoid it because the traffic is unpredictable. At any hour it could be clear sailing or the 90 minute trip could be 3 hours.

Going south, we take 81 so. then pick up 64 east over to Richmond then connect to south on 95. Going home we use to do just the opposite. So we never use to go on 95 north of Richmond.
Now going south on 81, we take 77 then 26 down to 95 to avoid most of SC because of the road conditions on 95.

We did notice on 95 south in SC that the passing lane was smoother then the travel lane but we can't stay in the passing lane because of traffic. Also, I believe it's against the law to travel in the passing lane. It's only for passing then you must pull over into the travel lane. Many people don't do that.  I think heavy truckers are beating up the travel lane because of their weight and that's why the travel lane is so bad. 

Did I95 from Florida to Maryland a few months ago and SC was terrible. If it was bad the last time you went through, it's worse now. There are a few stretches that have been repaved but they are short and few. Those that find it not bad probably have a much smoother suspension that you and I. Chuck

Rene, we came up 95 last April, and can't say that I noticed any changes.  But that was north bound, so I can't say how the south bound side is.

Ed

Going south, we take 81 so. then pick up 64 east over to Richmond then connect to south on 95. Going home we use to do just the opposite. So we never use to go on 95 north of Richmond.
Exactly the way we do it, except we follow I81 from the Canada/US Border but we are driving a car and not towing!!
Now going south on 81, we take 77 then 26 down to 95 to avoid most of SC because of the road conditions on 95.
We have done this in the past and may do so again if 95 proves to be bad!! Please keep us updated Ren?...

We travel I-95 frequently with or without the fiver. It hasn?t changed much in the past ten years and still has sections with the thump, thumping concrete. It?s quite antiquated by being about 90% four lanes. Even an off the pavement incident will cause rubbernecking to cause the flow to come to a crawl for many miles. During holiday traffic or any major sporting event along the corridor it?s best to use a secondary highway such as US-301, US-17, and US-1 and in some places US-25. All good highways with mostly speed limits in open rural sections at 65 MPH or higher.

chuckbear said:
Did I95 from Florida to Maryland a few months ago and SC was terrible. If it was bad the last time you went through, it's worse now. There are a few stretches that have been repaved but they are short and few. Those that find it not bad probably have a much smoother suspension that you and I. Chuck

Finally someone else feels the way I do. Thanks Chuck. I think I've decided that avoiding as much of 95 in SC is the thing to do for me anyway. It think it takes a little longer taking 77/26 only because there are taller/higher mountains I think tan taking 64 over to Richmond.

Back
Top Bottom