What's the forum say about Eternabond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbfeip

I used Eternabond tape to seal the seams around the perimeter of my 34 ft. class A RV.  That project cost me around $100.00, and never again did I have to get out the goop and spend a day resealing.

I'm thinking of treating the seams on my travel trailer the same way.  Although the trailer is new, my hope would be to circumvent any leakage potential early, and eliminate that dreaded reseal project required every so often using Dicor.

More on Eternabond at: http://www.eternabond.com/rv_repairs.htm  Note the RV repair/sealing video's at the bottom of the page.

My experience with the product was very good.  Anyone else have experience?  Opinions? 

Thanks!

Kurt,

A number of folks here have used Eternabond for re-sealing seams on their RVs. After reading numerous praises, I used it for a couple of small projects and have been very impressed with the product.

Hi Kurt,

I haven't used it on the RV yet but have done my shed and screenroom roof. It is great stuff I learned about it from a neighbor that used it on his motor home to seal the seam along the roof and side. He has never had a problem since.

About 6 years ago a 6" diameter tree limb plunged through the roof of a 12x16 metal utility building behind our house. I "temporarily" fixed it with strips of Eternabond layered on like shingles and it has never leaked a drop since.  I no longer have any thought of further repairs - that fix is permanent enough for me!

I also used it on the front & rear cap seams of our previous motorhome, so I never had to seal them again. Great stuff!!!  ;D

Thanks all....

I got sidetracked, and just now got back to my post.  (Someday I'm gonna retire too!)    ::)

Appreciate the feedback. 

I've been so impressed with the repairs that I did on my Class A seams, that I'll likely do the same on my trailer.

BTW...some pretty good deals on the stuff available on eBay.

Kurt

Jiggs,

All you should have to do is remove any caulking that might make it difficult to lay the Eternabond flat and clean the area. You do not have to sand to bare metal. It doesn't even have to be perfectly flat as long as you can get a good seal along all edges.

How long can you keep a roll of Eternabond before applying it?  I was thinking about getting a roll to have for unforeseen repairs, but would hate to hold on to it for a year or two and then found out it went bad.  Can you store this stuff or should you wait and buy it when you need it?

I have a roll that I keep for emergency repairs. After more than a year, the adhesive shows no sign of giving up.

I discussed with the service tech at the dealer my ideas about sealing the perimeter of my new trailer with Eternabond, and his concern was removal of the stuff if any significant repairs were needed on the roof area.  He says he knows how difficult it is to scrape and remove the dicor sealant, and can only imagine the labor hours needed to remove Eternabond.

Anyone know how difficult this is to remove if needed?  Is there a product that effectively cuts the adhesive strength of the tape?

One or more folks here have reported using a chemical for cleanup and removal of the adhesive, but I don't recall what it is. You could try using the Search button above looking for Eternabond and reading the topics. You could also drop a note to Best Materials and ask them.

For the benefit of folks who haven't seen them, here's the product specs and procedure for application.

OK thanks. I've found them to be very responsive.

Hi All,
My roof's pretty ugly on my 89 class c..it's discolored and pealing in spots. There have been several minor leaks which I fixed by caulking the roof seams. Would it make sense for me to paint on a new rubber roof that I could do myself and then eternabond all the seams? That, I figure, I could do on the cheap and make the roof look way better for potential resale down the road, and give me peace of mind for future rain.
Opinons?
Zach

You'd be surprised at what a good roof coating will do for the appearance as well as the protection on an RV.  When I did mine a couple of years ago, I gave it 3 coats 1 week apart.  Looks great on last weeks inspection.

Reply from Best Materials:

Dear Kurt,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We REALLY appreciate all the great customers and support from the RV Forum. We will do most anything to take care of you folks !
Here is what you need to do:

I Need to Remove Eternabond Tape -- How Do I Do It?
TOOLS & SUPPLIES: Industrial hot air gun (or heavy-duty hair dryer which is not a effective), a long thin sharp knife like a fishing fillet knife or razor knife, soapy water, rags. You may wish to dispose of knife when done.
METHOD: Using heat gun, heat one end of tape. As you heat up the Eternabond tape, pull on the white backing. As the gray sealant stretches (like pizza cheese), cut it close to the surface with the knife that you keep wet with soapy water. Frequently dip knife in soapy water to aid in cutting. Material will tend to stick to knife so frequent dipping and clean-off with a rag will help in the cutting. This will leave a sticky layer at the surface which is not removable. (job is lots easier with 2 people). When you are finished with you repair, you can put new product right over the gray sealant that is still on the roof.

We have updates this on our general page of RV roof repair procedures:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/RV_roof_repair_info.aspx
(its near the bottom)

OTHER:
We are expanding our offering of discounted quality products for RV folks. Key areas are propane related items, temporary electrical power and cords, and solar panels.
Our propane items are here:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/hardware.aspx

We have some power generators, but are not sure of what RVer really like or prefer. Most of our are high-end and more expensive. Any comments? Is there a really quiet model which is popular?

Solar panels are interesting. There is some great new technology in large flexible solar panels which can be peel/stick adhered to roof tops. Comments?
http://www.uni-solar.com/uploadedFiles/0.4.1_pvl_136_tech_data_sheet.pdf

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Sincerely,
Bob Marrs
Best Materials LLC
& Copperstate Roofing Supply
2338 N. 33rd Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Ph: 602-272-8128
Fx: 602-272-8014
http://www.bestmaterials.com

Back
Top Bottom