What's the latest on El Paso?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned said:
We downshift to increase RPMs and fan speed to lower the engine temperature.  But the mileage does drop under those conditions.

Ned

In your case you are right. Your radiator fan is a direct drive from the engine and is always turning, faster at higher RPMs. For those of us with side radiators, the radiator fan only comes on when the coolant gets above a certain temperature and downshifting doesn't necessarily increase the fan speed. However, the constant shifting between 5th & 6th gears generates additional heat in the engine and transmission, which your downshifting usually overcomes and by downshifting you stop the seeking between gears and reduce the total heat produced.

Bernie, you are correct.? That's one difference between the rear radiator and side radiator engines.? We also use the mode select to minimize shifting in rolling terrain, but there's no concern about temperatures in those conditions.

As usual, it's dangerous to generalize, generally ;)

Bernie:

No shifting at all for us in economy mode at 58 mph. on reasonably level ground.  We just loaf along in 6th.

Jeff, emailing you with our plans.

Smoky said:
No shifting at all for us in economy mode at 58 mph. on reasonably level ground.  We just loaf along in 6th.

Smoky

Yes, as long as you are on level roadways. As soon as you start going over overpasses and up grades, it will be more prone to downshifting.

Heck
Smokey give it a little fuel.  Only cost me 1000 bucks to drive to ILL and probably 12 to 1300 to get back.  Got 5.5 mph from Phoenix to Oklahoma City and 7.5 mph from OKC to St Louis. You figure I can't.  By the way  I think Betty Brewer recieved the poem Audrey wrote about our trip.  Maybe she can send it  I'm have troubles sending Emails  frolm this locatioin.  Moire later  have fun and see ya later Gator.

Shayne said:
?By the way? I think Betty Brewer recieved the poem Audrey wrote about our trip.? Maybe she can send it? ?I'm have troubles sending Emails? frolm this locatioin.?

Shayne,

Nope, sorry I did not receive any poem. (At least I don't recall it.) I did get a recipe but no news on leaving her at a Flying J.  I still await the news of this adventure!

Betty

Shayne said:
Heck
Smokey give it a little fuel.  Only cost me 1000 bucks to drive to ILL and probably 12 to 1300 to get back.  Got 5.5 mph from Phoenix to Oklahoma City and 7.5 mph from OKC to St Louis. You figure I can't.  By the way  I think Betty Brewer recieved the poem Audrey wrote about our trip.  Maybe she can send it  I'm have troubles sending Emails  frolm this locatioin.  Moire later  have fun and see ya later Gator.

Shane:

At what speed? 8)

I want to thank Bob for GREAT instructions bypassing El Paso.  The drive was easy and relaxing.  Compared to San Antonio which was the worst I have seen since Des Moines in 2003.

Bob I really appreciate your help.  Only change i would make is to the street name you gave as Fox"something".  It was Ken"something, but we recognized it right away.  Good job!

Smoky said:
I want to thank Bob for GREAT instructions bypassing El Paso.? The drive was easy and relaxing.? Compared to San Antonio which was the worst I have seen since Des Moines in 2003.

Bob I really appreciate your help.? Only change i would make is to the street name you gave as Fox"something".? It was Ken"something, but we recognized it right away.? Good job!

OK Smoky, now you are ready to tackle LA.  ;D

Smoky has a egg under the accellarator.  It must be soft boiled or maybe it's a boat anchor behind the Kountry Unit instead of the Mercury.  Top speed Very low and then we slow down.  But look at it this way  He's RETIRED and in no hurry to get anywhere.  What a life?  Guess someone has to do it.  Hey Smoky, check you bayfisher  email  Audrey wrote a true poem and I sent it to you and BBrewer at her escapee account.  Hope you enjoy. the plants are surviving according to Daughter in law.  I'll see in a week or 2

Smoky said:
I want to thank Bob for GREAT instructions bypassing El Paso.? The drive was easy and relaxing.? Compared to San Antonio which was the worst I have seen since Des Moines in 2003.

Bob I really appreciate your help.? Only change i would make is to the street name you gave as Fox"something".? It was Ken"something, but we recognized it right away.? Good job!

Oh, good, Smoky. You're certainly welcome. The name of that street reminded me of either the fellow that does red neck jokes, and/or the big rig truck manufacturer.  :)

Hope your journey continues to go well . . .

Where are you camping these days Bob?

Sharon and I are already looking forward to your quiet "campfires after the big crowd campfires are over" next year at QZ!

Smoky,

The best way around San Antonio is the 1604 loop. Didn't realize you were going to SA until you were there. :) Of course, you still have to go into the city if you're going to stop. I never take I10 through SA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom