What's your favorite flashlight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

As something of a flashlight nut, I'm always looking at newer/better models of flashlights since I consider a reliable flashlight essential gear when traveling. We have a half dozen distributed throughout the coach given the many times when I need a light I can usually lay my hands on one quickly. Most are small relatively inexpensive Dorcy right-angle LED lights. Also have a more powerful Stanley spotlight which comes in handy for use outdoors at night.

Came across one of those old big, heavy, black "police" flashlights in storage recently. The ones that use multiple D cell batteries. Back then they were the light to have but today with the many LED type lights, they seem pretty outdated.

Do you have a particular model you're fond of?

Do you have a particular model you're fond of?
I own a Klarus G20. I see it's only a hundred bucks when it is on sale. This is my favorite.

But I don't use it a lot, but it can light up the forest here in Auburn like it's daytime. Even after not being charged for months.

In my RVs, I have a lot of those cheaper flashlights from Tractor Supply.

But this one from HFT I also like for most normal use and have several of those as well.

I also have a few that take replaceable batteries around. Such as these.

-Don- Auburn, CA

A good chargeable led that fits in your back pocket so that you can keep track of it. Too big is not good but the bigger ones have their place.

I keep 1 led rechargable. Have not lost it yet. Fits in back pocket.

I also use a led headlamp with rechargable triple AAA's. I use that when I need two free hands so that I am not leaving my handheld around to be lost or left outside.

Two lights. 4 years and they still provide great light

I like my pistol grip Craftsman then uses my lithium battery. The swivel head comes in handy. To be honest, my flashlight on my iPhone gets the most use, it's bright and always in my pocket.

Last edited:
Flashlights are the only thing I have more of than knives. I consider them of similar utility.

There's no denying how impressive some of the new LED flashlights are but like knives I don't want one I'd be afraid to lose or destroy. The idea of spending a C note on a flashlight or a knife is not happening. I have a number of old school AA mag lights and in their day they were OK, a couple I refitted with nite ize LED modules and end switches. They were my "carry" light back when I needed one. But with the advent of cheep chinese LED's of AA, AAA and 18650 flavors the mag lights now reside in a drawer. I tend to favor that form factor though as it fits in the same case or headband and they're not bulky. The "fat" 3-AAA ones don't pocket well so the majority of my "good" lights are 18650 powered. One can argue that you can't get batteries for it at a convenience store if you needed to but I probably have 10 of those lights, with at least 9 of them working at any given time. They will operate continuously literally for a day on lower brightness which translates to months of usable service on a charge. A few of them even have a built in USB connector so I can charge them with a phone charger. A couple in the camper, the house, the cars, backpack, tackle box, tool bag, etc and there's always one around when you need it. I have probably 3 dozen 18650 cells I keep on hand, pulls I take from tired laptop batteries. I got a number of single AA lights similar to SeilerBird's link, "Kootek", when I got them they were 5 for $10 so I bought 15 of them. Scattered them around the house, the RV, cars, drawers, kitchen, desk at work, wherever. Something I'm not afraid to lose or give away and if I forget about one and the battery leaks, tossing it causes no angst. An LED headlight is another thing I have a number of. I was given a really nice Nitecore unit that literally turns night into day when on high but it's kind of heavy and too nice to destroy through frequent use, so that's my "home" light. I have a number of harbor freight AAA powered ones in the tool box and the RV, and they're just perfect for general illumination while working on things. Even during the day they're nice for working in a confined/shadowed area, they're lightweight and they run a long time.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I've got a 4 D cell Mag Light in a pair of brackets right by the door. It's got a xenon replacement bulb in it and works great for walking the dog at night.

I have some Mag Lights, and I have a nice, powerful one I keep in the Jeep, plus a number of the $1.98 things from Harbor Freight (mostly free with coupons), and a couple of others.

3D Mag light. With the old school bulb. I've got other LED flashlights but when I have to walk through a campground in the dark I grab the Mag so I don't trip on anything.

I wonder how much we should trust the flashlight manufactures who are claiming high brightness claims of 2000 Lumen, 3000 Lumen, even 5000 Lumen or greater.

Most of these flashlights are using Cree bulbs. The Cree website doesn't list a LED bulb with output over 1860 Lumen.
Cree LED Specs

Joel

I wonder how much we should trust the flashlight manufactures who are claiming high brightness claims of 2000 Lumen, 3000 Lumen, even 5000 Lumen or greater.
Joel
Yeah, it's almost as if they... uh-- well might as well just come out and say it: they LIE! :rolleyes:

Manufacturers also love to describe their offerings as "tactical" and "military grade" whatever those terms actually mean.

I have a Cree (the best brand of LED) flashlight with 2 18650 batteries. It has an adjustable beam for a 90 degree wide angle or a focused beam that illuminates things 100 yards away as bright as sunshine. Got it for $19.99 from e-bay 5 years ago. Its best to get a flashlight with a removeable battery and buy a high capacity Panasonic battery (used in Tesla battery packs). But beware, there are a lot of fake low capacity batteries out there.

Back
Top Bottom