Wheel air pressure rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MI.MARK

I‘m planning to buy tires that need 110psi. How can I find out if the rims on my 5th wheel are rated for that much pressure?

What tires did it come with? Are your new ones same size?

The tires that came with my 5th wheel were rated for 80lbs.
Given the cheapness of every part of the rv, I would expect that if the mfg could save $1, they would use rims only rated as high as a warmed up tire would get.

How much pressure would your new tires get up to on a hot highway?

Just because the tires are rated 110 does not mean you need to run 110

As I often tell people 3 pressures all but guaranteed to be WRONG for your vehicle
The pressure on teh sticker
The pressure on the tire (Read the full sentence)
The pressure the dealer puts in the tire (10 psi low on my JEEP and I told them what to put in).

The full sentence paraphrased

Maximum load xxxx pounds at maxium pressure of 110 PSI

If you are not loaded to the max. Reduce pressure.

Even with trailers the pressure is load determined. Too much pressure or too little reduces control and can increase sway of the trailer. not to mention reduce tire tread life.

Pressure may vary side to side as well. But generally not much
Scale the trailer on a scale that gives axle weight (you can ignore tongue weight if you wish or unhook and use tongue jack weight for the tongue weight.. This is important for other things but not for tire pressure (Things like the hitch rating on your tow vehicle) Then simpley divide axle weight by number of wheels (If dual axle divide by 4) and use the tire company's chart to inflate. .I like to add 5 PSI. .

You may be able to get a name on the inside of the wheel and call the manufacturer. BUT, generally speaking, if the shoe fits....
In other words, if the tire is a size that the rim supports, the rim should support the pressure of the tire.
It's my experience that 110PSI are on 8 lug rims.
80 PSI are usually 6 lug, and those carry C and D rated.
110PSI use metal stems always, 80's can use high pressure rubber. Metal stems can be installed in any rim for TPMS senders.
The majority of people run the max cold inflation pressure on the sidewall.

You may be able to get a name on the inside of the wheel and call the manufacturer. BUT, generally speaking, if the shoe fits....
In other words, if the tire is a size that the rim supports, the rim should support the pressure of the tire.
It's my experience that 110PSI are on 8 lug rims.
80 PSI are usually 6 lug, and those carry C and D rated.
110PSI use metal stems always, 80's can use high pressure rubber. Metal stems can be installed in any rim for TPMS senders.
The majority of people run the max cold inflation pressure on the sidewall.
80psi tires are load range E. Load range D are 65 psi. Load range c are normally rated at 50psi. , car tires or P rated.

Off shore made trailer wheel may not have a psi number on them but will have a load. The load can correspond with the wheels pressure rating. Example is a 3400-3600 load identification = 80 psi rating.
Above 3800-4000 lb load rating indicates 110 psi rating.
I've had wheel stamped or a sticker on the front and back sides or in the valleys. In the valley requires the tire to be removed.
I've bought a lot of trailer wheels for my trailer towing business and will not buy a steel or aluminum wheel without a psi rating.

The OE tires on my 5er are 235/85 16r. E rated. max psi is 95lb. The manufacturers label is the same.

Back
Top Bottom