Wheel Bearings Showing Heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
warsw said:
I have a "Bearing Buddys" that is a lot newer than 1976 in the garage and there are no relief holes in it. Would you like me to take a picture! Its about 12 years old. I also have one that is two years old. It has the relief hole.
I stated that it had a relief system.  When it is overfilled the piston comes out beyond the O ring seal.  At which point the grease will flow around the piston.  I have not seen the new system so a picture would be of great help.  I have not seen a Bearing Buddy that has any relief holes.

lavarock1210 said:
I stated that it had a relief system.  When it is overfilled the piston comes out beyond the O ring seal.  At which point the grease will flow around the piston.  I have not seen the new system so a picture would be of great help.  I have not seen a Bearing Buddy that has any relief holes.
Tomorrow I will get some pics of both. I will disassemble them so you can see how they both work.

lavarock1210 said:
OK.....I hate to eat crow (I hate crow)......but here goes..."GULP".

lavarock1210, you are right on all accounts. No need for pictures, the "Bearing Buddies" work as you stated. I found the ones with the relief hole are a different brand, work and look the same, just done differently. The ones with the relief hole have the O-ring on the piston and when the piston gets past the hole, it reliefs.

I have seen the "Bearing Buddies" get pumped up to the stop and not vent. Not sure if it just had too much gunk on the piston and the piston could not come all the way out or if there was enough gunk around the piston that the grease couldn?t get by. This is why I was thinking that some did not vent. Anyway if working properly they work as you stated.

I do like little mini arguments like this. They usually force me to do some research and I always learn something. Thanks for getting me going.

I do sometimes, when I think I am right, get a little adamant about it. My apologies for that. I was wrong.........First time ever LOL.

Warsw is forgiven.  The Bearing Buddy has often been given a bad rap mainly because it is often mistaken for a knock-off or the Easy Lube system.  When the Bearing Buddy is used for what it was designed for (Boat Trailers) it works very well and there are no others I know of that work as well.  I have used Bearing Buddy systems only on boat trailers.  As for the Easy Lube I will not use mine as they often result in failed seals.  A properly greased bearing installed correctly should be able to go until time to inspect the brakes. 
Back to the OP.  I just read your original post again.  You stated cooked on grease that was difficult to remove.  This indicates a bearing that has been very hot at one time or another.  Difficult to determine if a bearing has been compromised due to high heat. Others including myself have suggested new bearings, races and seals.  I still go by that recommendation as new bearings are cheap compared to a failed bearing and even possible fire damage if a bearing was to seize on you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom