When Buying Preowned Tow Bars and Brake System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skipper

Lots of manufacturers for these items. What concerns to look for when buying preowned tow bars and braking equipment? Which ones to stay away from? Will be towing Ford Ranger truck.

Lots of manufacturers for these items. What concerns to look for when buying preowned tow bars and braking equipment? Which ones to stay away from? Will be towing Ford Ranger truck.
If the seller doesn't have the original receipt/s or the rating isn't stamped on, I'd pass on it. I always buy this kind of stuff from a dealer and stick the receipt/s in the dash with the registration.

Always inspect hitches, tow bars, chains etc, before using them too. If you get pulled over and a state cop starts questioning you about tow equipment it's best to have confident answers and proof of equipment ratings on hand, especially if that's not a requirement in your state of registration... a State cop might know that. My MO is: don't move my tow vehicle until I check my tow equipment, even if I only stay overnight.

When it comes to tow bars, I would stay away from Blue Ox, in recent years they have been upping their rebuild fee, and basing it by age of the tow bar, and have now put a 10 year cut off on their rebuilding service, regardless of the condition of the tow bar. As to what I would consider, I would probably limit it to Demco, Roadmaster, and NSA for tow bars. Even here condition is very important, any bent rods, signs of excessive wear, and you should run away. I would also stay away from any Aluminum tow bars,there are too many reports of fatigue failure out there across multiple brands for me.

For braking systems I would make sure it is currently supported, Road Master, I think Brake Buddy, and perhaps others have a flat rate repair service where they will repair or perhaps exchange with a working unit a brake system for about $200-$300. The catch is they must be current production models, and may have serial number cut offs, even if they are the current model as internal parts may differ with revision. This can greatly help with the dice roll aspect of buying a used unit that is not installed, just make sure all the accessory parts are there as some of those can get pricey, and double check that the serial number is supported for the repair service.

I personally would not buy a used base plate which had been installed, too much chance for metal fatigue, stress cracks, etc.

Appreciate your answers. Now thinking a car dolly might be more beneficial as other vehicles could be used instead of one. Any thoughts about that?
I have an 18' car hauler but, I like those car dolly's too. Just check and inspect your straps every time you get out of your tow vehicle, which is about every 4hrs for me. Oh, don't go over the speed limit with it or you might be talking to Smokey the Bear! Just ask my wife... LOL!

Appreciate your answers. Now thinking a car dolly might be more beneficial as other vehicles could be used instead of one. Any thoughts about that?
It's all about convenience, ease of use, purpose of towing, etc. If you are going south (or what ever) for the season, a dolly might be the best choice. If you traveling, stopping and using the towed car freaquently, a dolly will be less convenient than a flat tow setup. Flat towiing setups are generally more expensive.

RANT WARNING!
The liability lawyers have really messed up the concept of service life. There is no technical reason that a well-cared for tow bar wouldn't last 20 years in typical motorhome use, even the intricate high end models. However, there is a substantial risk of lack of care and ill-advised uses that could lead to a lawsuit from a disgruntled or injured owner, so the manufacturers have all tried to limit their liability with a shorter "service life" and required maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom