When is big just too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV's in a way are like Autos, you drive them according to what you like.  Personally I wouldn't drive one of those little cars across the street, others love them.  I have no use for SUVs, I just don't care for them.  Trucks  yes  I like.  I drive Lincoln Town Cars  cuz I like and enjoy driving them.  Even the Mercury Gran Marquis is small to me even tho it's close to the size.   I quit as an auto Salesmanager years ago cuz I dang near got claustrophobia test driving small units.  I've always figured when you are driving a small car the only thing you have between you and the guy in front of you is the other guys rear bumper and if you are driving the same as he  heaven help both of you.  JMO  The way I feel. Doesn't mean it's right for the next guy, but for me it is. Mileage heck we get 25 to 28 mph of the highway in our units, which is as good as many of the Small units and better than most  In town about 15 to 16 also better than many.When I drive the unit I'm very comfortable and at easy.  Same with a MH  I like the larger and most people do however it's not for everyone, if it where they wouldn't make the other sizes.   If you are afraid of larger units by all means don't get larger stay smaller.  peace of mind is as much a factor in driving as being able to see over the steering wheel,   Choose according to taste, pocket  book and wife's liking and you can't go wrong.  JMHO

Hey Shayne - I'm with you but honestly, what's the difference between a 28' and a 38' MH? After driving only cars all your adult life, they're BOTH big and can intimidate you. I've had guys who wrestle semis for a living say they'd rather drive their rig and back it into tight spots than my Explorer with an 8 foot trailer. Buying what suits you and what makes sense is a priority but I'd never let fear stop me - if I did, I would have never bought a used rig on ebay, ya know?

As for buying something that looks cool? Sometime I'll tell my story about a Renault Fuego I bought back in the 80's, just 'cause it looked cool.

And isn't funny how a post will engender a bunch of responses and the original poster is MIA? Scoundrel - have you made a decision? Need more input? Still mulling it over?

Size does matter.  I can drive a 32ft just as well as 40ft.  Constructing, dealer reputation, manufacturer support all need to be added into the mix.
Been there, drove that, and still can't back up a trailer.
Joe

To be honest with you I cant really tell any difference in the driving of smaller unit compared to the larger ones. With 3 exceptions,  Bigger ride better, To me they hadle better and a little harder to back in to tight places.  Other than that They are a pleasure to drive.  I'd just as soon drive the MH as a car.  Both small and large you use your mirrors and backup camera and motor onward.  Of course on cornering you should practice a little with either cuz you have to go part the corner, per se, and then turn.  Same as driving a van. 

Tsalla Apopka said:
And at 30' we don't need to tow a car and the big Workhorse 8.1L engine pushes it down the road like a sports car.
You and I have to talk! You've stated that you "don't need to tow a car," which is something we would prefer. Do you rent cars? Do you use the MH to run errands? How long are you in one place?

TIA!

JudyBKM said:
You and I have to talk! You've stated that you "don't need to tow a car," which is something we would prefer. Do you rent cars? Do you use the MH to run errands? How long are you in one place?

TIA!

Interesting theories from all. The wife and I don't plan on part timing or full timing for quite some time from now, probably another 10 years. We are basically using the MH for leisure from 1 week to 4-5 weeks at any given time. We generally rent a car where ever we go or we are meeting up with family who have transportation to loan.

We have stayed 3-4 weeks in one location and have also spent only two to three days in each location throughout a 4 week vacation. So we pretty much play both ways.

Eventually we may get a tow vehicle but it?s not to close on the horizon. I am tending to lean towards a 32-34 foot with slide-outs. I prefer to keep the MH under 36? because we have to pay for storage and the price jumps up quite a bit from a space for a 34? to a space for a 36+ foot.       

Scoundrel said:
We generally rent a car where ever we go or we are meeting up with family who have transportation to loan.
Have you felt that it's particularly inconvenient *not* to tow?

Judy,

In 1994 Pat and I took our first long trip with a class A MH.  I had had a class C when the kids were small and we did not tow but few did in those days.  We felt we could rent when we needed to do so, long story made short, we NEVER leave home in the MH without the towed except to go for service LOCALLY, PERIOD.  We did this in CA when we were going to our local campground for the long weekend inspite of the fact we never expected to leave the campground.  Having to pack up the MH when there was an emergency etc., was just not something we wanted to do or to be dependant on others in that situation.

JMO,

James Godward said:
Judy,

In 1994 Pat and I took our first long trip with a class A MH.  I had had a class C when the kids were small and we did not tow but few did in those days.  We felt we could rent when we needed to do so, long story made short, we NEVER leave home in the MH without the towed except to go for service LOCALLY, PERIOD.  We did this in CA when we were going to our local campground for the long weekend inspite of the fact we never expected to leave the campground.  Having to pack up the MH when there was an emergency etc., was just not something we wanted to do or to be dependant on others in that situation.

JMO,
You may recall that after *not* towing for a couple of years, we did start towing a Jeep. We hated it. I really can't tell you why, but we just didn't like it. It certainly can be inconvenient *not* to tow -- but our plan would be to rent whenever possible. It will take more planning, but we think/hope(?) it can be done. That's why I was so interested in talking to someone who is actually doing it!

Of course, this assumes that we actually *do* purchase a new motorhome. [g]

JudyBKM said:
Have you felt that it's particularly inconvenient *not* to tow?

I never towed so I don't have a comparison. However it is a bit inconvenient and costly especially when you are not staying in one location more then a few days. Nevertheless the cost of purchasing a tow, insuring it and purchasing a hitch all add up and can be more expensive then just renting a car once you get where your going. An example is, it could cost me $250 to rent a car for a week and if I do it 4-5 weeks a year it could cost as much as $1,250 or so. However purchasing another car, paying insurance yearly, up keep yearly and fuel costs, combined far exceed the rental costs.       

Scoundrel said:
I never towed so I don't have a comparison. However it is a bit inconvenient and costly especially when you are not staying in one location more then a few days. Nevertheless the cost of purchasing a tow, insuring it and purchasing a hitch all add up and can be more expensive then just renting a car once you get where your going. An example is, it could cost me $250 to rent a car for a week and if I do it 4-5 weeks a year it could cost as much as $1,250 or so. However purchasing another car, paying insurance yearly, up keep yearly and fuel costs, combined far exceed the rental costs.       
That's how we feel at this point. We are down to one car -- so we would have to purchase another one and pay all the accompanying expenses. We realize there will be some compromises, but at this point we're willing to deal with them.

Thanks for your input!

Well, my "towed" solution might be a bit different ...

I've always been a motorcycle guy. But I would never haul my big bike or drive it rain, etc. So I just bought a good-sized scooter to commute to work and within a year or so I'll buy a second smaller one. Both scooters will be easy to put on the back of the rig (with a carrier) and my wife can use one with me and my son on the bigger one. Perfect for local sight-seeing. I think this will work well.

chaajoad said:
Well, my "towed" solution might be a bit different ...

I've always been a motorcycle guy. But I would never haul my big bike or drive it rain, etc. So I just bought a good-sized scooter to commute to work and within a year or so I'll buy a second smaller one. Both scooters will be easy to put on the back of the rig (with a carrier) and my wife can use one with me and my son on the bigger one. Perfect for local sight-seeing. I think this will work well.
Sounds like fun! I don't think we're the scooter type though. Stu would probably love it -- and I would worry about getting hit by a car, falling off the scooter, etc. That's my job -- to worry.

I would really like to hear from others who don't use a  toad.  I'd love to do that.
Joe Bee

James Godward said:
Having to pack up the MH when there was an emergency etc., was just not something we wanted to do or to be dependant on others in that situation.

Everyone's situation will be a bit different -- but with me, I totally agree that having a toad is essential to enjoying my RVing lifestyle.

However, I can also agree that if I had to buy an extra vehicle "just" for use when RVing that would be an expense I would not like very much. When my brother was into RVing -- the Toad became his car while at home and their family car became her car. So he could take his car to play golf and she could take her car to shop or whatever. I am a single person, and can't afford one car for this and one car for that. Although, if I had someplace to store it -- a second fun car would be nice. Now they do not RV anymore -- but still keep 2 cars.

Either way though, Jim -- I just can't imagine RVing without a toad, regardless. My first RV trip in '95 was down the West Coast, over to Las Vegas, up to Reno, then back to NCal. I figured just taking my bike would do for those few errands I would have to run -- or I could just unhook and take the MH. "Wrong"!!! I have never felt so stranded in all my life.

Thinking I could use the RV for errands turned out to be a super dumb idea for me. Even if someone had a small Class B -- they must still go through the same process as a large Class A of unhooking, down with the awning, stow chairs and such, and so forth. And when you get back and find you have forgotten something, you must do it all over again. Lesson learned there. After that trip I decided I would "never" be without a toad -- or I would not RV anymore. The only advantage of a Class B or small Class A for running errands is the ease of parking at a 7-Eleven -- certainly not from any other standpoint of being toadless.

Renting doesn't make sense to me either.  I may stop for an overnight stay -- I may stay for several months. A rental would be super inconvenient to get to to pick up, drop off when I'm ready to leave -- or have the rental company do that for me. Some days I "will" stay in the park, so why pay for a rental on those days? It is "so" nice to drop the toad when I park -- and use once a day or ten times a day (or just every 3rd day :)), just as I would if I were not RVing. The only way a rental would work is if someone goes to a single location -- and does not stop somewhere along the way for a day or so. So some situations might work OK. For example, I recall Ron from Big D renting a 4 wheel drive Jeep while in Moab. Single location, one time need.

Finally, in an emergency -- I want my toad gassed up and ready to go. Either for myself, for a friend, or neighbor -- or, several times that I can recall while having a pet on board that may have saved their lives.

We RVed without a toad for 25 years but under far different circumstances than today:

Rvs were smaller
Our trips were shorter in duration
Community ordinances regarding RV parking were far less stringent
The number of RVs was much smaller

As Bob and others have described a toad is an essential part of our RVing today.

Bob,

I wouldn't leave home without my toad. ;D Of course, in our circumstance there's no way we're going shopping in a 40' coach. My concern, outside the expense, would be having a convenient rental agency nearby whatever campground I had chosen. I respect the desires of those that don't want to tow but I just couldn't travel without it. One benefit could be the ability to get help if stranded on a road out of cellphone range and on a deserted road. Probably wouldn't happen but it's nice to know there's a way to get help.

Two springs ago we were in northern CA at Inyokern. Spent two weeks there traveling some distance in the toad seeing the sites. I'm sure we could have rented some type of vehicle but it was nice to be in my own. Being able to just hop in a go is a decided advantage IMHO. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom