When is big just too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Dick said:
Bob,

I wouldn't leave home without my toad. ;D Of course, in our circumstance there's no way we're going shopping in a 40' coach. My concern, outside the expense, would be having a convenient rental agency nearby whatever campground I had chosen. I respect the desires of those that don't want to tow but I just couldn't travel without it. One benefit could be the ability to get help if stranded on a road out of cellphone range and on a deserted road. Probably wouldn't happen but it's nice to know there's a way to get help.

Two springs ago we were in northern CA at Inyokern. Spent two weeks there traveling some distance in the toad seeing the sites. I'm sure we could have rented some type of vehicle but it was nice to be in my own. Being able to just hop in a go is a decided advantage IMHO. :)
If we were full-timing, there's no question about the necessity for having a toad. But we're not. Most likely (if we do decide to purchase again) we will take two or three long trips per year -- long enough that renting a car wouldn't be a problem. As for "the ability to get help if stranded on a road out of cellphone range . . .," that could happen in a car when traveling as we do now.

Happy holidays!

Judy,

Each of us needs to do what we think is the best for us. I personally wouldn't want to travel without a toad but many do. That's fine. Towing for me is no problem. Without looking in the backup monitor I don't even know it's there! ;D I was responding to Bob's message where I agree with him.

Hope you and Stu have a very Happy Holiday.

Jim Dick said:
Judy,

Each of us needs to do what we think is the best for us. I personally wouldn't want to travel without a toad but many do. That's fine. Towing for me is no problem. Without looking in the backup monitor I don't even know it's there! ;D I was responding to Bob's message where I agree with him.

Hope you and Stu have a very Happy Holiday.
I don't disagree with you. At this point, we have two considerations: One is that we are driving a Toyota Avalon and no longer have a need for two cars. So it would mean buying a motorhome AND a car AND all the towing equipment. The second is that we didn't like towing. I am interested in the fact that there ARE people traveling without a toad . . . even though they may be in the minority.

Thanks for your holiday wishes!

For now, we look at RV'ing as a destination thing - we look for a specific site with amenities that we would enjoy for a few days - near a beach, hiking, a pool, city transportation. Taking the RV to Victoria BC was great. We were there three nights. One trip we unhooked and took the rig - no problem. Took maybe 10 minutes. The other two days we used the bus and a stop was a few blocks away. I understand why full-timers or serious RV'ers want a toad, but for us the expense (for now, at least) far outweighs the benefits. I can rent a car if/when we really need one and the scooter solution I mentioned will work as a get-around in state parks, etc. I'm not planning on it as a way of doing any serious travel. Also - as mentioned - it could be very handy in the event of a breakdown.

We travel 'toadless'. We do have our bicycles with us and get around locally quite well on those. Mostly we only stay places a day or two before moving on down the road. Longest we've stayed one place was last January in Quartzsite. A toad would have been handy a couple of times, however, riding the bikes into town sure kept us out of the traffic jams on the roads. Not having a toad has made it easy to make U-turns and back out of places. And we don't mind using the local bus system where there is one. But I'm sure we'll miss having the 4WD next week in Death Valley....it's a long way to the nearest car rental.

Wendy, Mike and Sam
Arizona Charlie's
Las Vegas, Nevada
where it's 64 lovely degrees

Heck Wendy  you can always walk  LOL  omeone told me once tha Walkin ain't crowded.  If it's over 100 feet  I'll take the golf cart.

Shayne said:
Heck Wendy   you can always walk  LOL  omeone told me once tha Walkin ain't crowded.  If it's over 100 feet  I'll take the golf cart.

I do walk...a lot. Sam makes me. Walking is good for your health, brings down cholesterol levels, is good for the environment.

Back
Top Bottom