When the generator isn’t running nothing works.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leviforkey

I just bought a 2019 Thor Hurricane 34j and when we aren’t plugged in or the generator isn’t running nothing works. The outlets, the lights, the microwave, the gps/radio, the air conditioners, and even the panel that runs everything won’t turn on unless the generator is running. I’m not sure if this is how it’s supposed to work, but it doesn’t feel right. If anyone has any solutions to this issue I’d love to try and resolve it. Thanks.

That's how it works.
If you have an inverter and your house batteries are charged, the inverter will supply 120 volts but if you don't have an inverter nothing will work that requires 120 volts.

Your internal lights should be 12V DC and if the 12V ON/OFF switch is on it should run lights and other 12V items from the battery bank..>>>Dan ( unless the bank is flat.)

Your air conditioners, microwave, TV, and all of the outlets operate on 120V-alternating current power that must come from either the shore power plug or the generator.

The overhead lights, the furnace, and water pump all use 12V direct current from either the battery or from a converter that takes power from 120V and then converts that into 12V-dc to recharge the batteries and supply all other 12V loads.

The RV refrigerator can use either 120V power or propane, but it must have 12V power to operate the controls. The furnace and water heater also use propane but require 12V power for their controls.

If you have not overhead lights when you do not have 120V supplied, most likely the coach batteries are bad. You should have 1 battery to supply the starter for the chassis engine and a different one for the starter of the generator and the 12V lights and appliances. If the generator will start, that should mean that the coach battery(s) is/are good as they supply the starter. It may be there there is an isolator switch for the coach battery that is turned off to save the battery and so disables the lights, but can still supply the starter.

Of course this doesn't apply to all units, but if my salesman switch is off I can't start the generator.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom