When you can't get out of the campground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Folks at this UK 'campground' - essentially just a muddy field - had to be towed out by tractor. The scene was the annual Welsh National Esiteddfod, a week long festival/competition of music and poetry. This year (2019), the festival was held in Llanrwst, Conwy County on August 3-10. Folks showing up with trailers (aka caravans) and motorhomes camped in some farmer's field. The farmer got to help attendees leave.

I had the same thing happen at Rosine, Ky. in 2009 when rain started during a 3 day bluegrass festival,, four local farmers were busy with their tracktors pulling folks out of the parking area.. I managed to get out without help.>>>Dan

My parents belonged to the South Wales Caravan Club (their equivalent of an RV club), and they held monthly rallies, typically in a different farmer's field. I used to joke that it rains 366 days a year in this part of the UK, so the farmer was almost guaranteed he'd work as a benefit of renting his field  ;D

It would be interesting to see the correlation between Music Festivals in Farmer's Fields and Rainfall - didn't it rain during Woodstock??  ??? ::) :eek:

The first time I went to the Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista, CA it was during their Members' Day and their parking lot overflowed into a neighboring farmer's field.

They were also having a display of turn of the century (1900) hit and miss farm tractors.

As people were leaving, a motorhome got stuck in the mud.  Instead of calling for a tow truck, one of the owners of a 12 ft. tall, metal wheeled tractor volunteered to tow it out.  He drove the tractor over to the field, ran a chain to the motorhome and pulled it free without even breaking a sweat.

Thanks Lou. I didn't think folks would be interested in the text of the story, and would just look at the pics.

Brings back unpleasant memories.
We had to be towed out of Sleepy Hollow Farm at the end of AirVenture 2010 in Oshkosh. And we were among the fortunate ones at the "dry" entry end of the grounds. What a quagmire.
But spending the week there with my daughter was worth it.

Fogetty said:
It would be interesting to see the correlation between Music Festivals in Farmer's Fields and Rainfall - didn't it rain during Woodstock??  ??? ::) :eek:
It didn't just rain......
It was already muddy cold and wet. 
The only reason that there were not lots of trailers and motorhomes stuck was that there were very few that I saw and those I did see could not get off the roads and onto the fields.  There were a few VWs both bugs and vans.  One van did get stuck leaving, but then they unloaded 8~9 passengers and we pushed him out.

Part of that was that the promoters expected hoped for about 25,000 to show up and had pre-sold about half that.  Well, nobody knows how many of us there were, but the official estimate by the local sheriff was 250~300,000.  (He later admitted that he had to be wrong as he had not seen the whole crowd.)

It is memories that still make me wonder how I got to be this old.

Matt   

Back
Top Bottom