When you find a product that works, share with others!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DutchmenSport

Over 20 years working with my travel trailer and fifth wheel holding tanks, looking for new ways to keep them clean. I've tried all sorts of methods which work well, at least for me.

There is back flushing, rinsing with the black tank flusher, using the toilet wand down the toilet hole, I even used a power washer a couple times in the black tank through the toilet hole, running water down the toilet itself, driving on the road and letting the tanks slosh, various chemical treatments, and the list could probably go on and on.

For me, back flushing works very well, and I'll continue doing that. But that does not help the grey tanks very much.

RV sewer treatments help some, and I've used septic tank Rid-x a few times too.

But in time, that kitchen sink tank really begins to stink when dumping. I dump on the ground at home usually, and run the black tank into my septic tank at home. I've noticed the last year, how smelly the kitchen sink tank is. No smells inside the camper, only when I dump it at home on the ground. I used a bit of bleach and that works for a time or two, but when dumping, the food particles still drip out of those last few moments. So, I know there are food particles trapped inside that tank.

In my house, I use the stuff in the photo below. As I said, we are on a septic tank and this stuff does great, not only for keeping pipes flowing in the house, but also puts those emzynes in the septic tank.

A few days ago, I took the time actually read the label and "it" jumped out at me like "SURPRISE" at a birth day party! It's good for RV's too!

So, I tried it at home. Although we are now using the camper again full time in the drive way, I poured some down each tank and then used the camper as we normally would. The tanks sat while in use, for about 5 day, and when I dumped them ... OH MY GOODNESS! The stuff that came out of the kitchen sink drain was hideous! But ... it did not smell!

The bathroom grey tank was incredible what came out of it too, and the black tank ... well ... I'll leave that one to your imagination.

Mind you, I am adamant about cleaning my tanks when dumping. I do the back flush, keep Dawn and Laundry Soap in the black tank (and backflushing with the grey tank using a washing machine .... well .... that's LOTS of laundry soap washing it out). But, when those enzymes started eating away at the residue stuck on the sides, it made me realize just how inefficient "dumping with plenty of water" really is.

I purchase this stuff at Lowe's Home Improvement. It calls for 1 ounce down each drain. That's what I used. I now have a new "tool" for tank maintenance. I'm going to continue to add that 1 ounce down each drain every time I dump now.

This stuff does work and it does work really, really nice in the RV.

tE4ZHto.jpg

BoPIfhZ.jpg

A good chug of vinegar and a small amount of baking soda works well.
I use vinegar when I clean my home A/C units. I pour a cup or more down the condensate line to keep all the gunk and mold and mildew from building up and it’s not hard on the pipes.
Scott,Orlando

Went to Meijer and purchased a bottle of it yesterday, unfortunately our camper is in the shop so I can't use it yet. Our friends that we are staying with are going camping this weekend so I showed him the bottle and told him to try it. He liked it and poured some in the tanks. It's their first time out this season. I like that it will also clean the p-traps.

"When you find a product that works, share with others!"

Sure, right. In my experience, that rarely turns out well.

For the past 10+ years, I have been keeping my drains clean of buildup (mineral, food, etc) with cheap, store brand, liquid automatic dishwasher detergent. I just pour about 1/4 cup undiluted down the sink/shower drains, rinse it down into the p-trap with warm/hot tap water, let set in the p-trap overnight and flush at some point later the next day (or next time that particular drain is used). I do this once a month, rotating drains, thru out my camper.

Except my galley sink. I have three sink bowls in my galley sink and my p-trap is farther from the strainer down pipes than the p-traps on the shower or bathroom sink. I divide about a half cup between each bowl so all three down pipes get some detergent to clean them. I also don't rinse them down much as I do the shower and bathroom sink. There is only one p-trap on the sink. This is to keep the pipes directly connected to the strainer basket clean and smelling good.

I don't put it down the toilet in my camper as I have a residential toilet (yes it works, yes it has bounced many miles down the highway without leaking, yes it drains into a holding tank that stays open when on a sewer hookup, no I have never had a clog with it in all the years that it has been installed which I could not say about the POS rv toilet that was there first). My bathroom sink drains into the black tank so I just pour the detergent into the bathroom sink. Keeps the pipes clear and the p-traps clean. Seems to work well on the hard water build up. And I don't get "sewer" flies, gnats and maggots from dirty p-traps & dirty strainer/pipes. I also do not use any powdered/solid soaps/detergent with hard water.

The liquid dishwasher detergent is really cheap and works FOR ME. I'm not telling anyone to do this. I'm just saying what I do that works FOR ME. I also pour a 1/4 cup down the rv toilet on my daughter's truck camper when the black tank gets dumped in addition to the sink/shower drains.

FYI, I have used the Zep Drain Cleaner (used to work at HD so I just picked up a bottle while I was at work). I'm just not a fan. It did not clean the pipe drains. I know because I ended up replacing most of them. Hard bath soap and powdered laundry detergent plus very hard water = very clogged drain pipes. I used all the Zep over the course of a month and still had a terrible buildup. But that may have been an exception.

So.....I have used it and it really works. I didn't get near as many solids as used to get when using the tank flusher. I know TMI. I also had good results in the bathroom grey tank. Both tanks showed empty. I'll get it in the galley tank when DW gets on a better laundry routine.

So.....I have used it and it really works. I didn't get near as many solids as used to get when using the tank flusher. I know TMI. I also had good results in the bathroom grey tank. Both tanks showed empty. I'll get it in the galley tank when DW gets on a better laundry routine.
Thanks for useful feedback!

Just checked the data sheet and it says don't dispose of waste into sewer waterways or ditches. It contains propane 12 diol.

Not quite sure what to make of that information....

Steve's away to do more checking....

In the shower at home, and in the RV, I use Clean Shower, by Church & Dwight to spray down the shower stall after a shower. I pretty much eliminates any soap scum buildup (and I use Ivory Body Wash, which does not leave the build up that bar soap does). All it takes is a light misting, a spray bottle in the large house shower lasts about 3 weeks for a bottle that cost $3.18 at Walmart. Amazon is much higher but here is the Amazon link so you can see what it is.

Clean Shower, much cheaper at WalMart

61zqE6l5jlS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The other product that is handy for RV'ing is Dawn Platinum Foaming in the pump. I just put some foam on a folded paper towel and scrub the items I am washing (spatula, forks, knives, etc) and throw the paper towel, no dish water, just rinse them down, done.

Dawn foaming dish wash

81T+AMRXuoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The last trick is if you use campground showers, and I always check them out and if decent, I do use them. However, it always seems they are designed to get water running or sprayed into the area outside the shower curtain where you get dressed. To keep your feet clean and dry, buy pet training pads at PetSmart or PetCo, the store brand will do fine. Take one in with you and when done in the shower, reach out and grab the pet training pad, open it up and lay it absorbent side up as you would for your pet, and step out of your shower shoes onto the pad, and get dressed. When done throw it away.

150 count 23x24 inch at Petsmart
5270618_alt2

Now someone, possibly on here, went "goofy" about how it was polluting the environment, yada yada and if that is how you feel, just move on. Its garbage just like the paper plates and other throw away items many of us use on a day to day basis while camping, and its not like I use a campground shower every day of the year. Its a good way to keep your feet, and clothes dry and clean as you get dressed. Works just as well if you have a nationwide gym membership and use their showers. The ones I have is left over from an elderly cat I had over 10 years ago who had kidney problems. I had the whole house papered with them for several months. This was most of a box I had left. I don't claim this tip as my own, as I first saw it suggested on a Long Long Honeymoon video.

Charles

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom