When Your RV Burns...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

What will you do if your motorhome or RV catches fire?? One tendency is to run around looking for one's wallet, purse or even pet!? Little thought is given in advance of such a catastrophe because no one wants to think it will happen to them.

In addition to knowing how to operate the emergency exit in your RV, periodically testing it and even practicing getting our using the emergancy exit, the prepaparation of an Emergency Safety Bag is recommended by the FMCA fire prevention seminar.

A bag or small case should be stored by the entry door of your RV containing the essentials to re establish normal life in the event of a total loss of the coach.

If the coach catches fire while driving, or even while parked there are some things that would be absolutely necessary in the event of disaster.

Attached is a photo of a? motorhome,? where the owners lost everything...illustrating the importance of setting up an emergency safety pak.

The basic contents should include:

A $20 bill
Driver's Licence
One up to date credit card
A cell phone
Insurance Information
Small supply of prescription medications, updated regularly

I added a CD of my computer data backup.

Considering this is a small case, the size of a small computer bag,? what else could be added to this bare bones emergency pak?

Attachments

• Fire4.JPG
    Fire4.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 84
What a great submission!  I thank God that I have never experienced a fire in any residence, home or RV.  But, your emergency bag is something that could and should be in use in every situation, home, RV, relatives' homes...anywhere.  This would make "recovery" a lot easier.  With the availability of copiers, it might not hurt to make copies of all pertinent personal information and credentials.  Thanks!!!

If you can think of other items that could be added to the emergency bag, please pass them along.  We have carried ours for over ten years and use it for other types of travel as well.

Glad you found the idea useful.  Perhaps with some new suggestions we could make it even better. ;)

I will share my story. I have gone threw two fires. first was my house which was a total loss .  we got nothing left from fire .smoke and or water damage. many years later our HM went up as we were driving down the road lost about 95 percent of every thing. The bag is a good idea but if you leave it by the door make sure you keep your door locked when you step away. Just sounds to easy for someone to grab some important stuff.
I have been a fireman for many years and the speed of the smoke built up inside the HM even surprised me. I used the fire extinguisher and by that time I was chocking on the smoke. That's how fast it filled up. SO DON'T GO LOOKING AROUND FOR YOUR STUFF! GET OUT FAST

The bag sounds like a great thing, we used one when we cruised five years prior to our rving days.  At that time we used a waterproof bag.  Now we have a cd with all information, pictures etc updated often.  One is held my a family member and one is with us.  If you don't want to leave the bag by the door how about securing the bag in the toad.  They have small fireproof boxes that take up little room for small amout of things.  As I read this it really makes one think about things happening but like so many just don't think about it happening to us! 
Makes one think!
Cheryl

Putting the bag in the toad is not the best idea because we have friends who lost both toad and coach when the toad caught on fire and couldn't be removed from the coach.

I agree with Lorna.  Too many fires start in the toad and move forward to the coach.

ArdraF

One suggestion is to have a fire safe,  This is designed to offer limited protection to it's contents in a fire,  Keep it near the door where it's easy to grab

Should have Motor home Title, insurance documents and other important documents in it (Your passports for example)

Also, I like to grab a 1st aid kit.  Cause,  Well you may well need 1st aid.

However when I saw the subject line of this thread,,, Considering the nature of motor homes and what they are made of and the kind of VERY TOXIC smoke they create when they bury

"When you R V  burns
You should get out quickly
Or you may not get, out at all"

You could die inside
From SMOKE inhalation
When Your RV starts to burn.

(TTTO "When you fall in Love"

If you're a guy, when you undress, leave your wallet in your pants until you change in the morning.  If the rig catches fire when you're sleeping in it, you'll probably grab your pants and bail out, in which case, you'll have your wallet with all the important things you need in it, including your owner's and insurance cards. If you use a money belt, you'll have that as well.  Women can place their handbag by the door with the cell phone in it, and grab it as you exit. Don't worry about other things, just get out.  If you have a pet, they'll run out with you. You might be crawling out anyway.

Back
Top Bottom