Where are all the hunters?? Come on give a reply, lets get together for a hunt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VnSr4JC

I gazed over the outdoors recreational activities & to my disbelief didn't see anything about hunting.  So I'll start.  To remind the family of the many adventures we have had hunting (& hope to have again in the future) a beautifully stained honey oak stained plaque graces the walls of our 990.  Near the top is a brass plate with the words "ELK HUNT 1991"  is engraved on it.  Below that sits the 6 brown colored, acorn shaped Elk turds that 6 weeks of hard hunting produced.  I know we were very close to them.  I could hear them laughing at use for weeks but they must have been wearing camo because we never did see them.  Of course after this coming season I'm going to need a bigger camper to hang my 10X12 677 bull rack!

I live in Montana & would enjoy getting together to do some hunting exchanges in other states.  I think like minded folk would make it a more enjoyable, so if you're a nonsmoking, non to light drinker & safe with bows & firearms, drop me a line or do a post.  Couples, family encouraged.  Blessings
Vince & Sally

I have two favorite elks hunts.  One was when my son got his first elk with a rifle I had built for him.  But the best elk hunt was one where we didn't get out elk.  We were then hunting with muzzleloaders and had tags for antlerless elk.  We had seen this herd of 17 cows and one big bull for a couple of days. I was sitting in the middle a group of boulders on the side of a mountain in Eastern Arizona near a meadow that we expected them to come to in the evening.  About 5 PM I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye and here came a nice cow and the bull.  They passed me withing 30 ft but the bull was always between me a the cow. I let it pass and didn't see any more cows that evening close enough to try.  The next morning, about 4 am, we were back at this area and expected to see the herd move back up the mountain on a ridge between me and my son.  We figured either of us could take a shot toward the ridge as we knew exactly where each of us were.  When it started to get light, we first only see the fog on the meadow, but slowly shapes began to emerge like ghosts from the fog.  The lead cow, followed by 16 other cows and then the bull were headed exactly where we expected them to.  Just about the time they came into range, the lead cow stopped and then they all stopped.  We didn't move a bit.  After about 5 minutes of her just standing there, she turned around and took her herd back through the meadow and into the woods on the other side. She was one smart cow and I don't know what she saw or smelled, but I enjoyed the sight and the stand off very much.
Jake

We used to deer hunt with the old coach near Jackson Meadows, CA. Four couples would drive their RVs into the forest and leave them there for hunting season. One (retired) couple stayed for the duration while the rest of us drove home in our toads (ours was a Bronco) to go to work for the week. We drove back to the mountains on Friday evening.

There was also a stream and lake nearby, so we could fish for trout during the day.

:eek: MY DUMBEST HUNTING MOMENT!!!  Maybe I shouldn't share this but what the hey.  My son & I (he was then about 12 yrs old) were hunting in Illinois.  This was only the 2nd time he had hunted.  I would put him at spot then head down about 300 yards to my spot.  Each of us knew we the other was so we were safe knowing were we could not shoot.  Problem was I loved to be out there at least 1 to 2 hours before sunrise.  I'd drop him off & by the time I'd get to my spot i could hear LOUD snoring.  This went on for the 3 days of 1st season & then again for a few days into 2nd season.  I decided I'd get him to stay awake, I'll scare the crap out of him so I snuck up to his location just when the sun was breaking out, you know, when you see shapes but can't tell what they are.  SO I pull apart the bushes & am about to scream GRRRRRRR!!!!  but to my surprise there is a 12 ga shotgun pointing right between my eyes.  Then this little blond head peeks over the rifle sight & says "I thought you were a deer!"  Then this look of shock as he says "I could have killed you!"  I said I'm not a deer , just a stupid, stupid man.  Then I garbbed him & gave him a bone crushing hug saying Thank God you were well taught & man enough to keep cool & Identify your target before you shoot.  This is perfect example of how stupid people can cause accidents & how smart people can avoid them.. I am so proud of you.  Moral of the story teach your children well because as you age, bigger brain farts are more common, LOL.

Last hunt was in Wyoming been going there from Arizona for Antelope for the last few years, last October I got to go on a Bison hunt at the Rocking 7 Ranch in Wyoming. When we, my wife and I got there the first thing I wanted to do was sight in. I was using my Weatherby 300 mag with a new burris scope that I spent many weeks perfecting. I could hit a fly at 500yds when we left Tucson. When we got there  I took my equipment to there range which was 200 yds no problem I thought. First shot I hit dirt way right checked the mounts & bought the target into 25 yds hit low left. I did something I have never done on a hunt before I bought an extra scope with me. After installing my old Leupold and a  couple of shots latter I was back at 200 yds but not as confidant as with the Burris. It was a 4 day hunt and we were 2 days in and could not locate the herd. I was starting to get nervous when my guide stopped the truck and  we started glassing the area THERE they are so he proclaimed. We had a few miles to travel to catch up, when we got to where we sighted them we could not locate them. Now I?m real nervous so we come around the side of the hill and before us about 500 yds out stands part of the herd 35 or so. My guide asked if I felt comfortable at 500 yds I told him not after changing scopes I felt OK at 200 but didn?t want to wound an animal so we kept low along a fence line to within 200 yds after looking over the Bison I picked out a real beauty in my mind. The 300 hit him hard and he stumbled and then the herd did something I have never seen before they crowded around him and held him up. It took about 30 mins before I could pick him out with the guides and me glassing  I finally saw him standing broadside right (he was facing left at the first shot). I had to wait till the herd cleared away and hit him again this time he went straight to the ground. My first Bison went over 2000 pounds (that?s according to the butcher). So on the way home we stopped at my Daughters house in Colorado & gave her and family more than half the meat. To me it was a hunt that I will always remember as one of the greatest. As far as the scope the I had to return it to the factory  for repair the (reticule had come loose) so this scope wont be going back on anything with a heavy kick. So like the Boy Scouts say be prepared. Some day I hope to do some hunting in Montana maybe for some mule deer or a large white tail, this year I received a deer permit in Arizona first local hunt  in a few years, will be heading up into the Chiricahua Mountains for coos deer one of the smallest white tails.

Happy Hunting
Rich&Marita
8)

Have not been hunting since I was a college kid.? ?The Old Man was at the Presidio of SF, and I was going to school at CCSF.? ?He and I were just in from years in Alaska and had already done a bit of upland hunting in CA.? ?He took me to a place in the Sierra foothills on a Buck Lake or something like that for the opening of deer season.? ?He and I scouted out the deer sign and trails before the opening day and decided on a pair of stands near a watering trail -- the old man was a methodical hunter.

The morning of opening day, we crossed the lake well before dawn and assumed our stands and waited for sunrise.? ?At sunrise, no deer, but the firing started around us.? ?It was like we had been precipitated into combat and were in the middle of a firefight.? ? We both hunkered down and when the firing died down a bit, the Old Man said, "Let's get the hell out of here!".? ?This we did and back to SF that afternoon.

The Old Man was an infantry colonel with a year's combat in Europe and a DSC and two Silver Stars.? ?California deer hunters scared the hell out of him.?  The Wehrmacht he could handle.  ?;D

We live in Oregon, and hunt every year during archery season. We camp the entire month in a dry camp, but have all the creature comforts. Deer, Elk, Bear and cougar are all open at the same time. We haul a quad, and the 30 foot Avion TT.
The wife makes cornbread on a regular basis, We reside in some beautiful country, and really enjoy life.

I just came back from a Coues deer hunt near Arivaca, Arizona with my son and his friend.  We took the TT and parked it at a campground with full hookups, and shower facilities.  We put a cross rib beef roast, potatoes, carrots and onions in a crock pot on low when we left at 5:00 AM and it was outstanding when we returned in the evening.  We only saw one nice Coues buck, running about 300 yards out and if we hadn't had binoculars, we would not have know it was a buck.  These Coues whitetails are not large and their rack is tighter to their head than typical whitetails back east.  The area we hunt is near the Mexican border and my son and his friend came within 50 feet of ten illegal aliens using the trails through the national forest.  Eight men and two women and they were moving along quite speedily.  This is rugged but beautiful country and just about every bush or tree has thorns.  I attached a picture of the area below:

Attachments

• Arivaca.jpg
    Arivaca.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 51
Lowell said:
I just came back from a Coues deer hunt near Arivaca, Arizona with my son and his friend.? We took the TT and parked it at a campground with full hookups, and shower facilities.? We put a cross rib beef roast, potatoes, carrots and onions in a crock pot on low when we left at 5:00 AM and it was outstanding when we returned in the evening.? We only saw one nice Coues buck, running about 300 yards out and if we hadn't had binoculars, we would not have know it was a buck.? These Coues whitetails are not large and their rack is tighter to their head than typical whitetails back east.? The area we hunt is near the Mexican border and my son and his friend came within 50 feet of ten illegal aliens using the trails through the national forest.? Eight men and two women and they were moving along quite speedily.? This is rugged but beautiful country and just about every bush or tree has thorns.? I attached a picture of the area below:

Hunted the Arivaca area for many years, gave up a few years back with all the illegals  going through. Started going to the Chiricahua Mountains no illegals and pretty good hunting. Stay away from the Dragoons same illegal problem went there once found a ford bronco stuck up in an arroyo all four tires flat. While walking along a ridge I sat to glass the valley floor and found a boarder patrol officer glassing me we talked for quite a while (he was tracking the passengers from the bronco).

I have hunted the mountains of Utah since I was knee high to a tall rabbit.  I dont often get my game but I enjoy the out of doors and the excitement of the hunt.  This year I am going to hunt with my daughter and grandson since they got theirs last two years and I havent.  I have hunt deer in Montana, California and Utah.  I have hunt boar in California.  I have hunt birds of all kinds in Utah, Calfornia and Kansas.  And I have hunt elk in Utah.  For some 35 years I had hunt in Utah with a group of friends, my step dad, and my mother.  All have passed on now with the exception of my mother and a friend of which my mother gave up hunting some 20 years ago.  I dont know how many more years I can hunt but I know that it wont be long. 

Anyone Spring turkey hunt?  Hard to beat spring turkey hunting and RVing! Have only managed "instate" trips thus far... Hoping to get out of my home state of Va. Next spring!  Any suggestions?

Cut_un said:
Anyone Spring turkey hunt?  Hard to beat spring turkey hunting and RVing! Have only managed "instate" trips thus far... Hoping to get out of my home state of Va. Next spring!  Any suggestions?

Would you be open to a 2017 spring turkey hunt/RV rally in southern Minnesota?  Despite the bum raps we get regarding our winters, Minnesota weather in central and southern Minnesota is usually pretty good after May 11. 

I'm glad someone resurrected this thread.  Eric and I might be interested in a fall grouse hunt, a spring or fall turkey hunt, and maybe even an elk hunt out west with like minded RVers. 

< Yeah, I see the warning this is an old topic, but I don't see the need to create a new one to subject. >

I'm planning on hunting.
Up till yesterday the only bow I owned was valued at only being able to take down small game which didn't tempt me to start. Thanks to a yard sale and luck, I now have a high quality compound recurve. I figure buy some suitable arrows for it since the older one was meant for 20 weight, this can be set up to 65. Get in some practice working with the new bow, then get licensed for the state I'm in.

While taking down a deer is tempting there is one problem I foresee in this. ... Brrr mini-fridge for storage :(.

I don't recall this thread from the first time around it's a new thread for me.

The last time I was deer hunting was well over 30 years ago. I never was a bird hunter.
Good hunting areas became crowded in my area around that time, and I got to a point I didn't feel safe.

The very last time I was in a dry wooded area, and had quit trying to be quiet as I hiked out because there was no sign of anything around. There was no way anyone should have mistaken my noise for an animal.
I walked into a clearing to find a guy in a tree with a gun pointed at me about 50 yards away.

Never hunted again.

MN Blue Skies said:
Eric and I might be interested in a fall grouse hunt, a spring or fall turkey hunt, and maybe even an elk hunt out west with like minded RVers. 

This goes back to my original reply.  I anyone interested in a fall grouse hunt in Minnesota?

A resurrected thread. And could be a very enjoyable and beneficial resource of fun and relaxation. As well as making new friends.
The wild turkey population in MI is exploding. Ever deep fry a wild turkey? It's awesome!
The deer herd has declined over the years for various reasons. Good luck with that.
To expand the "hunting" aspect of the thread...
The fishing in MI is going great guns. The fishing season is just getting fired up now. I see the boats on their trailers heading to the waters every day. The charters are gearing up and hitting the marinas along the Lake Michigan shoreline for the season.

My point is it doesn't have to be a week long elk hunt. It very well could be a weekend fishing excursion or turkey hunt. Or maybe a day of wading in a quiet trout stream throwing a fly or nymph. Maybe a catch of pan fish for a family dinner is in order. Even the kids catching a perch or bluegill in the CG pond!
I know the proper licensing for each individual state can be a problem. MI is no exception. But depending on your plans, it can be done.

This can be a great way to meet forum members who enjoy the same and make new friends.

Back
Top Bottom