Where do you gt your Motorhome weighed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJAG

I keep reading about getting the total weight  front/rear and 4 corners.
Is this done at weigh stations?
Are Motor-homes required to stop at weight stations?

So much to learn!

The CAT scales at a lot of truck stops are an inexpensive way to get each axle weighed -- I've paid $7 - $10, and you get a printout. Gravel yards and a few other places may accommodate you, too.

If you have a sand and gravel operation near you they may allow you to weigh there for free as long as you stay out of the way of trucks needing the scale. Otherwise most truck stops have a Cat scale which you pay for. Many of the Cat scales I've seen do not have enough room around them to allow you to offset for corner weights, but you will be able to get axle weights which is the most important.

Edit: apparently Larry types faster than I do. What he said  ;)

Unless the signage directs ALL vehicles over some weight to enter a highway weigh station, non-commercial motorhomes and other RV's are not required to enter. The Escapees RV Club has weigh stations at a few of their parks and rallies that do four corner weighing.

Moving companies and grain elevators usually have scales as well.

Many scales offer a "certified weight", meaning they issue a legal document attesting to weight. There is an extra charge for that and you don't need it, so go with just a simple set of numbers. Truck stop scales usually give a print-out even if not certified, but others may just display the numbers on a screen or give them to you orally.

A nearby town has a grain elevator that is on 24/7. There?s enough room to get 4 corner weights. There?s a big digital readout adjacent to the platform.

I go when they are closed so as not to disrupt normal business.

It?s a 40 mile round trip for me so it?s not ?free?.  :D

Alternatively you can do what I did and buy your own wheel weigher off ebay.  I got lucky and found a deal on a wheel weigher missing it display, and then on a new box compatible display with minor shipping damage (electrical plug crushed).  Total investment just over $200, including $20 to have it weight calibrated, which to me is worth it given the nearest CAT scale is 55 miles away, and nearest business with a commercial truck scale is about 25.

Generally NOT required to stop at weigh stations (Exception if in commercial service)

A friendly weighmaster can do it for you in exchange for the standerd 33 Degree Fee. or you can find a FLAT segmented scale (Most CAT scales are BRIDGE scales and will not work)  You pull on so that each axle has its own segment.. Then you drive around and park so only one side is on the scale.  The other side is the difference between axle and sixe axle.

Or you can go to RVSAFETY.Com (at least I think it is a com) and from there like to the service. about 40 bucks last I checked.. They come to you. find a flat spot. and  break out the same kind of scales the weighmasters use (portable)  Works great.

They do a lot more.. They will check your tire gauge..  And when you call you have the make model and tire size to give 'em they will have the proper inflation chart IN HAND when they show up..  Well worth the cost for a first time weigh as far as I'm concerned.

John, the price has went up a bit since you checked, they are now charging $60 for the RV + $40 optional for a TOAD according to their web site, which matches what they were charging at a rally I went to about 18 months ago.  Of course that is a full service weighing, with work sheet, and tire inflation psi recommendations, ...

i tried a few times at cat scales....they put posts close to the side so you can't go half on....and the workers get confused when I try to ask for something like that

but then I found that cat scales has a smartphone app.
i found that you never have to even get out of the Rig, or even talk to anyone.  Just call it up on the app, pull on, press the weigh button...then circle around for the re-weigh...but this time do it with one side off the scale..and I used to drive axle pad for my steer axle...and the trailer axle pad for my drive axle to miss the side posts.

blw2 said:
i tried a few times at cat scales....they put posts close to the side so you can't go half on....and the workers get confused when I try to ask for something like that

but then I found that cat scales has a smartphone app.
i found that you never have to even get out of the Rig, or even talk to anyone.  Just call it up on the app, pull on, press the weigh button...then circle around for the re-weigh...but this time do it with one side off the scale..and I used to drive axle pad for my steer axle...and the trailer axle pad for my drive axle to miss the side posts.

That's great information Brad!  Just downloaded the app and can't wait to use it.

I weighed each axle of my Chinook motorhome at my local dump, er, I mean the environmental park (hey, I live in California -- that's what they call it!). The oral readings cost nothing but certified weights do.

I had mine done when I got new tires.  $25 if I remember correctly.  I found out I was running my tire pressure too high. 

The scales in Oregon Laura and Charles mentioned are NOT the ones of the freeways.  You can find them in the country on two-lane roads.  They are sort of wide pullouts with a tiny booth that is almost always closed, but you will be able to see the lit scale monitor up in the air or on a post nearby.  Just pull over and slowly drive through to get the front and back weights.

To my knowledge, there is no way of getting each side weighed, but it is fast and cheap, and is free. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom