Where do you store the books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
While we were at the Monaco service center recently, the guy next to me (with the same model Camelot as ours) showed me how the rollers were wearing groves in the underside of his bedroom slideout. Monaco came up with a fix, which essentially was to install a couple of thick plastic (delron?) pieces between the rollers and the underside of the slideout.

The guy happened to mention to me that his cabinets in the bedroom slideout were all full of books, which translates to lots of weight, which probably contributed to his problem.

This begs the question - where do fulltimers store books and magazines?

Tom said:

We pass them along to other RVers, or donate them to libraries.  There are some we keep, such as wildflower guides, travel guides, etc..

Jeannine

Tom said:
While we were at the Monaco service center recently, the guy next to me (with the same model Camelot as ours) showed me how the rollers were wearing groves in the underside of his bedroom slideout. Monaco came up with a fix, which essentially was to install a couple of thick plastic (delron?) pieces between the rollers and the underside of the slideout.

The guy happened to mention to me that his cabinets in the bedroom slideout were all full of books, which translates to lots of weight, which probably contributed to his problem.

Though I'm not full time yet I plan on dividing books and magazines into four piles
1: Library or giveaway
2: Museam (some magazines will go to a radio museam)
3: signed originals and the like (Note this pile includes unread books) which I'll keep
4: Trash can (mostly magazines other than those in 2)

I have a lot of books

The main part of my collection is in storage in Iowa.

Davis cabinets built in some bookcases on the curbside wall of the living room.

3 overhead cabinets hold the tour guides, manuals, computer books and cookbooks.

Many plastic totes in the basement hold the rest of the paperbacks.

Magazines I read and discard, but books are a treasure and almost impossible to part with.

Those ready to part with books--gosh, I mean share books, might want to check out:

www.bookcrossings.com

Ciao,

Doug

Every computer device I have save one, This includes the phone, the tablet and this computer, has KINDLE on it.
I subscribe to an E-mail list out of LIviona Mi,  "Free or discounted Kindle Books"  (E-reader Plus is I think the name of it you can find 'em on Facebook but I get the daily E-mail).. So many books, so little time.

Three cabinets above couch, in boxes beside my chair, in the kindle (Baen books is an excellent source of SF), in one bay, and in the park book exchange. And there is still not enough room!

Ernie

In my county or local libraries. I use a Samsung tablet with Adobe Overdrive software and borrow and return my books over a WIFI link. I borrow the books for 20 days (period is flexible, depending on library) and usually return them well before that limit even though the return after expiry is automatic.

This works very similarly to a "books on paper" library and I often put titles on a wait list when a title is not immediately available, (the number of available copies is limited in most cases). When a copy on my wait list becomes available, I am notified by email and I then download it.

The bird, flower, insect etc reference books are hard copy.  Everything else is digital.

Ditto on the public library ebooks.  With the public library interchange your local library does not have to 'have' the ebook -- an interlibrary loan from another that has the rights will work. 

Interesting the different methods on a 10 year old thread. I thought I'd never go with one of those newfangled electronic things. But I got one as a retirement gift and I never looked back. It's absolutely the best thing that ever came along for me. Since I got mine I've purchased more than 10 as gifts for other people who like to read. I like the Kindles paperwhite since I can read it at night without a separate light on and it is easy to read in bright sunlight too. Other brands may be better or worse, but I like the Kindle, it's real easy to store 247 books (the number I've read on this one) and still fit in my pocket. My library is full of good books and they're all free. (if you figure you're going to pay property tax whether you use the library or not)

Ken

I was reading this thread and all of a sudden I saw the post by  Dr. Russ.  Then I realized that the post was 10 years ago.  I met Russ at Catalina State Park at the New Years party a few years ago.  I guess he is still talking to us

We were fortunate to have had a Russ-conducted tour through his Iowa home before he sold it.  Room after room after room with floor to ceiling bookcases filled to capacity with the books he loved.  We will always remember Russ for his kindness, graciousness and his lovable eccentricity. 

Margi

Every couple years I donate a large selection of my books to a local "Waterfront Mission" which then sells them at very low prices to folks that would rather feel and read a paper/fabric book or cannot afford to purchase a reader device(Kindle, etc.). This same mission hires the homeless, down-and-out people to work in their store providing food, clothing, shelter, showers, a stipend, and books for them. This way, my books all have a 2nd life, so to speak.

I make a copy of the manual and keep it in the TT as well as any individual item instructions I think I might need. The originals I keep in my office for easy reference if I need too. I also keep two copies of campground maps, one in the TT and the other in my office, for reference. With the campground maps I keep tract of the best sites and any other info for when I go back someday.

Dale

Most of my books and magazines are stored under my left hand (on the hard drive) as I type.. Kindle app on computer, tablet and phone means I can "pull out a book" and read it most anywhere..  Operating manuals are in the bag they came in in the compartment Damon put 'em in and duplicated on the hard drive.  One cookbooks is in an evelope to my right, but it is a special one complied by Anne McAffery...  Not a book I can Kindle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom